Atlantic Tactical - New Shop in Westwood MA

Went by at lunch... Still no license, but I was led to believe that "it's in the mail."
Lots of accessories for the black rifle crowd, including some carbon fiber forends and other light weight bits.
Mags, sights, aimpoint and Sig optics, and a bunch of other stuff.

Went by at lunch... Still no license, but I was led to believe that "it's in the mail."
Lots of accessories for the black rifle crowd, including some carbon fiber forends and other light weight bits.
Mags, sights, aimpoint and Sig optics, and a bunch of other stuff.

Thank you.

"it's in the Mail" is such BS. In May at their open house, the Westwood police chief dropped by and told them that it was "on his desk"!!! Sounds like he has no intent to issue it and only a tenacious lawyer for AT might get them in business.

Sad, very sad . . . but so typical of MA!

I work down the street also. Very nice guys there, they were eagerly awaiting final permits to sell when I was in last week. I was in a week ago and they said they had just received "stuff" and would have on display in a day or so. Local PD has been slow to issue permits. They are on University Ave in Westwood diagonal from Grainger store. They are in small strip building next to Dewalt, Milwaukee tool store. If you get off route 128 at university Ave, go past all the new construction and they are on the right before stop light at Grainger store. Their pricing looks great. They have a decent web site but if you stop in, they will give you a catalog which is loaded with tactical stuff and all firearms they carry - both LE and civilian. For instance, they will be selling S&W M&P AR15-22 for $348.00!!

Just received an Email announcing their "real" grand opening (allowing them to actually sell guns/ammo).

Check out their specials, some very impressive prices.

M&P Shield - $299.95
M&P 9/40 (FS or Compact - $349
Sig P239 DAO 9mm w/night sights - $599
Sig M400 MA Compliant - $749
$100 off all in-stock rifles priced to $1499
$200 off all in-stock rifles priced $1500 or more
AT ammo can w/300 rds Fed XM193, 5.56 ammo - $119.95
All in-stock Sig pistols - $50 off

All the above good until 12/15/14.

379 University Ave.
Westwood, MA 02090
781-325-4787
Hours: Mon-Fri: 8:30AM-6:00PM

I was a little surprised by their hours (which seem to be typical of police supply places) -- no Saturday hours and no evening hours. Makes it hard for us working stiffs to get there.

I was a little surprised by their hours (which seem to be typical of police supply places) -- no Saturday hours and no evening hours. Makes it hard for us working stiffs to get there.

The employees I spoke with seem very nice to deal with, BUT it is a "cop shop" and little of real interest to non LEOs . . . and in fact most of the floor space is occupied by uniform stuff. I haven't been back there since their original grand opening in May(?) as I found the store boring to me even though I am LE. If I was still with a PD, I would find a lot more interest in the store.

Thus, their hours are typical of a cop-shop. I find no fault with that as they are the target audience.

The employees I spoke with seem very nice to deal with, BUT it is a "cop shop" and little of real interest to non LEOs . . . and in fact most of the floor space is occupied by uniform stuff. I haven't been back there since their original grand opening in May(?) as I found the store boring to me even though I am LE. If I was still with a PD, I would find a lot more interest in the store.

Thus, their hours are typical of a cop-shop. I find no fault with that as they are the target audience.

I realize that. I was hoping to pick up a pair of size-zip boots, but getting there during their hours makes it hard for me.

I realize that. I was hoping to pick up a pair of size-zip boots, but getting there during their hours makes it hard for me.

If you don't need to try them on, you could do an online order to ship to your home.

AAA Police Supply (NOT a friendly place to other than LEOs) also has very limited hours (work day only, no evenings IIRC). I think they are open a couple of hours on Saturday mornings except in the Summer.

If you don't need to try them on, you could do an online order to ship to your home. AAA Police Supply (NOT a friendly place to other than LEOs) also has very limited hours (work day only, no evenings IIRC). I think they are open a couple of hours on Saturday mornings except in the Summer.

I do need to try them on. I've shopped at AAA before and they treated me just fine. As you mentioned, though, their hours are similar.

299 for a shield is very appealing. i have the bg380 and the m&p fs9. might need to get one just to complete the family

Yep, I agree. We'll see if it's for real tomorrow. Call me a little skeptical but cautiously optimistic. [wink]
Finally got up there today. Nice new store, polite people, advertised pistols were in stock (except for the Sig 229 - not in yet) and for sale to civilians like myself.

But now the bad news: Atlantic Tactical tacks on a $25.00 background check service fee on every gun sale. This took me completely by surprise as I had never been charged such a fee before. Maybe it is common practice in other states, but I'd never run into it before in MA. The fact that Atlantic Tactical is an out-of-state chain may have something to do with it.

Just be aware of this going in because they do not tell you in advance and it isn't posted anywhere. The fee is slipped in at the end. If you don't ask they won't even mention it. I only found out because of questions being asked by another customer confused by the higher than expected amount of his bill.

Anyway, I went away a bit disappointed. The sale prices are still very good even with the service fee added, but not quite as good as I had been led to believe. I'm a lot more price sensitive than most folks so take that into account. At their low grand opening advertised price, another plastic S&W pistol kinda made sense. But with the $25 fee added, it would have come up to more than I paid at FSGuns for a similar gun during their own recent sale. Didn't see much point in that. [thinking]

I do not believe that it is legal to charge any BG check fee in MA. Don't have time to dig for it in the law however and not sure even where to start looking (maybe S. 123, dealer stuff).

I do not believe that it is legal to charge any BG check fee in MA. Don't have time to dig for it in the law however and not sure even where to start looking (maybe S. 123, dealer stuff).
I wondered that myself, but I wasn't prepared or particularly motivated today to argue the point. I figured that in time they would figure out whether or not the practice is legal here in Massachusetts. If it is illegal, I would expect them to simply raise their MA prices by $25 or figure out another name to call the $25 fee.

I was there the other day. Picked up a Sig M400 for $749, I've been searching for one for a while now and at that price it was a no brainer. The manager Lenny could not have been nicer. The store closes at 6pm, I got there about 2 minutes before closing due to traffic on I-95. Lenny had no problem keeping the store open and processing the sale. Got out of there at about 6:30pm. We talked for a while. Seems that the store has been open for a while now, but just recently got their FFL. They've been running some nice deals on firearms.

He said they had about 100 M&P shields left for $299. Didn't see any pistols out as they were put in the safe for the night. Very nice store. Carry the full line of 5.11 gear. Lenny hooked me up some free 5.11 swag, 5.11 hat and folding knife.

Nice store and great staff, A+ in my opinion.

$25 background fee?

When I pay I'll just subtract my $50 surprise fee fee.

seriously, I loathe businesses that try and change the price at the register then act like because "it's policy" it's okay. I have a very clear policy about this that states that I reserve the right to charge back 2x the hidden fee as a fee. If they don't believe me I refer them to my web site and policy statement that they should have received in the mail.

Did you get hit with the same $25 background check fee?
I'm guessing he was charged the $25.00 background check fee.

From Atlantic Tactical's website:

In-Store Purchase Background Check Fees:

• New Cumberland, PA Location
    $25.00
  • Philadelphia, PA Location
    $25.00
  • Queens, NY Location
    No Background Check Fee
  • Somerset, NJ Location
    $25.00

Note that there *is* a fee at their other locations except New York, where the fee may be prohibited by law.

If and until Atlantic Tactical determines that such a fee is illegal here in MA, I'm sure they will continue to charge it.

PA charges dealers $5.00 to perform a PICS check, which includes a NICS check and a state level background check. The Brady Law allows states to act as the Point of Contact (POC) for NICS checks. FL does something similar. NJ charges $15.00 plus tax )of course) for a background check. Then there is this thread from right here on NES.

The fee is just $25.00 pure profit for them. They don't have to pay sales tax on it, it's probably not even taxable as income.

It's like the fees that a lot of car dealers used to charge. "ADP" used to stand for Added Dealer Profit that they'd tack on for popular models.

They don't even have to make a phone call any longer,

NICS E-Check
This function enables FFLs to initiate an unassisted NICS background check for firearm transfers via the internet. The NICS Section ensured that security was a priority during the development and implementation of the NICS E-Check. The NICS E-Check is monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, for misuse and unauthorized access. In addition, the NICS E-Check denies access to any individual whose identification is not known to the system.

Unless they had a gun I absolutely had to have, which would not be a Shield, I wouldn't bother buying from them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom