Atlanta Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in the Back at Wendy's Drive-Thru

I dunno. Whenever the local paper publishes all the highest-paid town employees, the top ten are all cops (O/T and detail pay added in). Maybe your mileage varies, but if so, get on it! Get paid! I don't begrudge high salaries for police, provided the return on investment justifies it.

Exactly. The top ten. Not all of us. Not even close. Do you make near what your towns school super does? I don’t think so. It’s the same thing.

Most of those guys are either LT’s or Dep Chiefs with a much bigger salary to begin with, and a Masters so that gives them another 23% bump. And a lot of them are also divorced with 3 kids and now two mortgages so they really have no choice but to work 90-100 hrs a week.

I chose not to do that, I worked my shifts and enough OT to make ends meet and make sure we’re all comfortable and fed, not spoiled. I’ve lived a hard life, comfort isn’t made of money to me.
I preferred time with my family away from work and having some semblance of quality of life instead of living out of HQ in a sleeping bag. Those are the guys that die 3 months after they retire.

wtf? a 23% pay increase to be a white shirted paper pusher. Same with my hospital. All the deadwood have masters degrees. All the $$$$ we piss away on those loads could be better spent on patient transporters, cleaning people, nurses, etc. A middle manager at my hospital cold be gone for three weeks before anyone noticed they were even gone.

To be fair, a big chunk of the public has also lost faith in what society has become, and we are left to clean it up, sometimes with unreasonable standards as to how it’s done by the same folks who won’t do it themselves.

I’m all for question and answer type discussions, respectfully done, a lot of NES’ers have legit respectful questions and we can help answer some of them to better understand each other, thats never a bad thing.

But then there’s always agitators that’ll chirp up and want to be heard and usually have nothing to add but BS comments so they’ll feel better about themselves somehow. Always a typical scene in old shows and movies where the loudmouth in the auditorium forum stands up and starts yelling at clouds before others tell him to shut up and sit down so the adults can talk. This is not you, and I appreciate that, and it’s the only way to have these conversations to address ideas and actual things that matter.

One thing that I’m happy about seeing in this new reform being discussed is removing police from certain situations, IE, being called because a young student is being disruptive, being the first called and on scene for folks with emotional problems or behavioral problems, these things are not in a cops high list of training, and they shouldn’t be dealing with them, especially the kids for BS stuff, let the teachers and parents handle it 100%. There’s far too much expected from these folks with little to no training in those realms at all.

Way too many hats to wear nowadays and it’s a ridiculously high expectation to think they can do all of this without making some pretty big mistakes along the way. They’ve kind of been set up for failure in that regard.

We have folks that’re already highly trained to handle those types of scenes, why aren’t we letting them and why did we ever get away from that?
Add to that LIBERAL teaching and you have a civilization heading down the crapper. It's no joke, teachers tell our kids how to think instead of letting them decide.

Yup. Kinda like.

It's not a sacred cow. A lot of teachers are probably overpaid, but they've all got masters' degrees and could probably do something else that pays more. So the schools are in competition to retain talent; turnover is bad for everyone.

I teach in a town that pays shit, FWIW. Bottom 10% in the state.

Yeah, I have heard the “but I have a masters and only make...” or “do you know what people with masters get paid in the private sector?” I chuckle at the Master argument. Don‘t like what you‘re getting paid? Find another job, you have a Masters after all... people should be lining up to throw money at you. Waitwut? You only get 2 (or 3, or 4) weeks vacation? Surely that’s in addition to Xmas week, Feb & April vacas, right?

I have never met any profession that bitches about how underpaid/under appreciated they are than teachers. Granted, I live w one who also happens to be a union local President so I’m exposed to the extremes, lol. Personally, I don‘t think they’re overpaid, but the whining about it... oy. I asked Madame, what amount should teachers be paid so they’ll be satisfied? $150k? $200k? Thing is, if they got that, they‘d still be complaining. Can’t imagine people in insurance (my industry) bitching about what they’re getting paid like teachers do.

The most obnoxious calls we get at work are from teachers who go on about how they‘re so limited in their availability to talk, as though their time is more valuable than everyone else’s. And the whining about how hard it is to make dr appointments and such because, you know, I’m a teacher... 🙄

<edit> And Pic, You‘re one of the good guys. My comments were directed at the moonbat friends & acquaintances

Have you seen me post anything to the contrary, or supporting that statement in any way? Read my post again since you took the time to quote it.

This is what you posted: "You’re not forgetting are you, that the courts also decided long ago, that should you choose to use or attempt lethal force to resist being brought before them, then you are subjected to having the same lethal force used against you. I’m pretty sure the entirety of the country understands this."

What lethal force was used by the criminal in this case that caused the cop to return lethal force as he shot the guy in the back when he was running away? Was the cop's life in danger of serious bodily harm or death by the perp running away?

It's insane right? Hearing animals like him on this thread are exacly why people have such a low opinion of the vocation. But they keep showing us why this is THE vocation to choose when you top out at GED level education.
I have no such low opinion of the job. Individuals make up the job. I do have contrary opinions on some of the issues but it's a job I could not do . Your type make it harder.

To our cop members. Would it be feasible to have a program whereby if x number of complaints were received about an officer, an external investigation is undertaken? By what organization I'm not sure, but there seems to be something suspicious about how internal investigations are handled. The accused cop rarely seems to receive punishment in accordance with their malfeasance. In this state, at least.

Great question. It sounds very feasible on paper. But in reality, how will we make sure that these complaints are actually based on fact, and not unsubstantiated and false allegations simply because someone didn’t like the answer or the citation you gave them one day? Because that is a fact of how many complaints come to be.

People are not required to be present when they make a complaint against an officer. They are not required to offer any kind of evidence or proof that what they’re saying is true. This is the Karen affect and it’s in full force when it comes to the police too.

Complaints can be taken anonymously over the phone, via fax, via email, etc. and there is nothing that’s required, again, to substantiate it. Zero facts required.

A complaint will come in. You’ll receive a letter in your mailbox or email from IA with the allegation and a list of very specific questions that you then have to answer to in relation to it.

Once that’s done they will investigate it and either tell you they found evidence to substantiate the complaint which will follow with a disciplinary hearing, or they will say that the complaint was unfounded and there is no further action needed on your part.

I don’t see how that could really go anywhere unless or until complaints are taken more seriously as to who and why they are being made.

Police are not afforded the right to address their accusers, and most complaints that information is never provided to us. So how would this be made fair and equitable for all involved?

Exactly. The top ten. Not all of us. Not even close. Do you make near what your towns school super does? I don’t think so. It’s the same thing.

Most of those guys are either LT’s or Dep Chiefs with a much bigger salary to begin with, and a Masters so that gives them another 23% bump. And a lot of them are also divorced with 3 kids and now two mortgages so they really have no choice but to work 90-100 hrs a week.

I chose not to do that, I worked my shifts and enough OT to make ends meet and make sure we’re all comfortable and fed, not spoiled. I’ve lived a hard life, comfort isn’t made of money to me.
I preferred time with my family away from work and having some semblance of quality of life instead of living out of HQ in a sleeping bag. Those are the guys that die 3 months after they retire.

There are other perks though, too.

Let's be honest. I doubt too many cops have to worry about speeding tickets or a lot of the other nagging little annoyances a lot of us worry about.
Yeah, I have heard the “but I have a masters and only make...” or “do you know what people with masters get paid in the private sector?” I chuckle at the Master argument. Don‘t like what you‘re getting paid? Find another job, you have a Masters after all... people should be lining up to throw money at you. Waitwut? You only get 2 (or 3, or 4) weeks vacation? Surely that’s in addition to Xmas week, Feb & April vacas, right?

I have never met any profession that bitches about how underpaid/under appreciated they are than teachers. Granted, I live w one who also happens to be a union local President so I’m exposed to the extremes, lol. Personally, I don‘t think they’re overpaid, but the whining about it... oy. I asked Madame, what amount should teachers be paid so they’ll be satisfied? $150k? $200k? Thing is, if they got that, they‘d still be complaining. Can’t imagine people in insurance (my industry) bitching about what they’re getting paid like teachers do.

The most obnoxious calls we get at work are from teachers who go on about how they‘re so limited in their availability to talk, as though their time is more valuable than everyone else’s. And the whining about how hard it is to make dr appointments and such because, you know, I’m a teacher... 🙄

<edit> And Pic, You‘re one of the good guys. My comments were directed at the moonbat friends & acquaintances

I know. Most of the ones who bitch are the ones who've never done anything else. Once you've done real work, teaching is not overwhelmingly difficult. I suspect it's like most jobs: the work itself is great, but dealing with the administrative bullshit is soul-sapping. And education has a LOT of administrative bullshit.

Your type make it harder.

My type = someone who was raised witha strong respect for LEO. Over the years I have seen how their ranks have been infested with corruption, incompetence and the hardo mentality that holds their communities in contempt. I just want them to be competent, and do their jobs with more respect for civilians (yes even criminals) and not shoot them when their own life is not threatened.

Is that a ridiculous ask?

This is what you posted: "You’re not forgetting are you, that the courts also decided long ago, that should you choose to use or attempt lethal force to resist being brought before them, then you are subjected to having the same lethal force used against you. I’m pretty sure the entirety of the country understands this."

What lethal force was used by the criminal in this case that caused the cop to return lethal force as he shot the guy in the back when he was running away? Was the cop's life in danger of serious bodily harm or death by the perp running away?

I was speaking to @Picton s post in whole, and neither of us at that moment were directly discussing this incident. We were speaking in generalities.

Man, the police should be like

"911, what's your emergency?
"(insert some ill shit going down)"
"Okay sir, please stay on the line while we see if film crews and lawyers are available to accompany our officers."

I was speaking to @Picton s post in whole, and neither of us at that moment were directly discussing this incident. We were speaking in generalities.
Just wondering if police officers are trained in wrist/arm locks and submission holds? It was my understanding that they were but maybe it depends on the department and also possibly what state they are in.

They are tearing up the place!!!

They just looted and destroyed the Wendys.
Cuz we all know that Wendys played a part in this.

Atlanta is on fire!!!

Just wondering if police officers are trained in wrist/arm locks and submission holds? It was my understanding that they were but maybe it depends on the department and also possibly what state they are in.

** ETA: I just re-read your post again, and submission holds or arm “locks” and the like are not taught. They teach, minimally, armbar takedowns and wrist locks to try and better control a physically resistive or combative subject.

They are, or at least we were, very minimally in the academy and possibly once a year if they can afford to have training that year without pissing off the local pols and admin people who count numbers.

If people are expecting cops to be like Walker Texas Ranger because they had a 4 hour class on wrist and arm takedowns they’ll be sorely disappointed. lol
Ask some of the folks here who are into MMA or other martial arts, that type of stuff must be practiced and trained faithfully and aggressively or it’s utterly useless and can cause more harm than good.

They are tearing up the place!!!

They just looted and destroyed the Wendys.
Cuz we all know that Wendys played a part in this.

Atlanta is on fire!!!

I think that Wendy's was the parking lot where he was shot? I could be wrong.

Still.

Never facing you accuser is a phenomena in hospitals too. Everything is handled in HR. They're really not the sharpest knives in the drawer and they're more interested in adhering to protocol than conducting an investigation.

Anther problem would be finding an outside investigative body that could be reasonably impartial. It couldn't be staffed with representatives of various groups, because they all have agendas now.

Would a random citizen review board work? Like jury duty?

It also doesn't seem like every complaint would trigger the review, because in a good number of cases I'm sure the complainants have an axe to grind.

I'm thinking more along the lines of an imaginary Officer Smith who has 35 various complaints against him. And 35 is an average number in his department. Some are legit and some are axe grinders. Yet within that 35, 15 complaints are for excessive use of force. Would that be a useful trigger for a real investigation.

Plus, I'm sure good cops know who the bad cops are. Is there a way for the good cops to assist in the removal of the bad cops? Do police unions make removing bad apples unnecessarily difficult?

I doubt that it is safer for the subject and pretty hard to pull off. If you don't know the weight of the animal/person, you can kill it/them with pharmacology.

If you can hit them with a tazer you can nail them with a pharma equivalent then ride it out till they're flat....there's a HUGE range of dosages that are effective/not dangerous for various regularly used tranks in large animals that translate 1-1 for humans

Stop trying to apply logical, reasoned thought to this - WE ARE PAST THAT.

Police are going to have to take a very light handed approach for awhile as anything perceived as dirty will result in rioting.

This has been building for years, and not racist crap - I’m talking from shooting Church Ladies to every officer lying on reports until that damn dash cam proves they lied - release the falsely accused and broom the police misconduct.

Why is that? Because you’re a human being or because you’re an American citizen?

What makes your rights any more important than an officers rights? You can easily turn that around and say the officers rights trump a criminals safety.

Either way you look at it, it sounds selfish and as though you’re saying that the man or woman that shows up to either help you or possibly detain you, whichever the scene, is a life less important than yours because they work for you.

I may be reading into your post too much, correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s how it comes across in its current form.

To be clear/put into context

I'm not anti cop.....quite the opposite......popo serves a necessary function to ensuring liberty/freedom/preventing animals in society from destroying the former.......but I would really like to see popo's job incrementally move back to peacekeeper and away from the insanity of "Law Enforcement".....especially in light of the bs that donks and RINO's push thru the leg every year.

The fewer unnecessary interactions there are between popo and police = fewer negative outcomes......its nothing more/less than a numbers game.

Being a peacekeeper is a much harder job than hiding behind "Law Enforcement" if you know what I'm getting at.....there are a lot of people that can do the latter but the former is a much rarer breed/skill set.....and its not something that can be taught....you either have it or you dont.

Never facing you accuser is a phenomena in hospitals too. Everything is handled in HR. They're really not the sharpest knives in the drawer and they're more interested in adhering to protocol than conducting an investigation.

Anther problem would be finding an outside investigative body that could be reasonably impartial. It couldn't be staffed with representatives of various groups, because they all have agendas now.

Would a random citizen review board work? Like jury duty?

It also doesn't seem like every complaint would trigger the review, because in a good number of cases I'm sure the complainants have an axe to grind.

I'm thinking more along the lines of an imaginary Officer Smith who has 35 various complaints against him. And 35 is an average number in his department. Some are legit and some are axe grinders. Yet within that 35, 15 complaints are for excessive use of force. Would that be a useful trigger for a real investigation.

Plus, I'm sure good cops know who the bad cops are. Is there a way for the good cops to assist in the removal of the bad cops? Do police unions make removing bad apples unnecessarily difficult?

Cambridge PD has a civilian review board. You can guess how that goes. How would you make sure that they are not just as biased against as some people think the police admin is biased for?

Off Smiths 15 use of force complaints:

How does someone decide what is excessive if they are not actually on scene, or have FULL video from start to finish? It’s like trying to decide if there was pass interference without multiple camera replays and slo-mo, everybody thinks they saw something and ten people who saw it will tell you ten different ways it went down.

Probably a bad a analogy but it makes the point of very fine details that need to be seen before you make the call and the difference between a professional witness (a referee for example) as they say (someone who is trained and experienced in the events being discussed) and someone that’s possibly seeing something for the first time and doesn’t really understand what they’re seeing at all.

Most people see a fight or even a big melee on the street and they’re emotionally affected by it, it’s real life violence and it’s frightening to them even though they’re not personally involved, they’re not used to it so it’s disturbing. How will they then report accurately what transpired when they’re not accustomed to mentally recording such details and removing the emotions from it that could make or break a call?

How then would this civilian review board understand exactly what level of force is needed or exceeded for each particular incident, unless 1) it’s painfully obvious due to FULL and clear video of the incident again from start to finish or 2) they were actually there for the incident from its start to finish, and that’s just an impossibility.

There really is no easy answer to it, I’m not trying to be a dick with all of the above questions back at you, but those are only a small amount of things that need to be considered.

To your last point and question that “you’re sure the good cops know who the bad cops are”; this is just inherently not accurate, as much as some folks want to believe it is, it’s just not true.

You could work with someone for years and never see them do anything wrong, and then you see them on tv being arrested by the feds or IA for something. These dirty cops don’t flaunt their own breaking of laws or criminal activity in front of everyone and we just ignore it like “ya whatevs dude, it’s all good.” That’s ridiculous.

You’d be surprised just how many cops get into fights with each other over stupid shit they’re doing or have done on the street, not criminally but stupid just the same and dangerous.

I taught some classes at the academy for about 10 years, there’s recruits that I’ve noted should be removed from training and find employment elsewhere, stating point blank that they’re going to be a f***ing problem mark my words and it goes ignored by the chiefs. The DI’s at the academy have made numerous reports and sent them upstairs to be reviewed for immediate dismissal, for any number of reasons, be it incompetence, dangerousness on the range, arrogance, chips on their shoulder, or just not fit for this kind of duty, and most all of them are denied and continue in training, and the admins train of thought is well shit we paid all this money so far we can’t get rid of them now, we need numbers on the street and they need to keep numbers $$ down for their bosses so they let them stay and just pray the lawsuit doesn’t come eventually when they f*** up. And they do, and they come, and the chiefs still will not get rid of them. They’re too afraid of being sued themselves for discrimination these days if they let someone go so they try and bury them somewhere safe and hope nobody notices.

I would argue that it’s not the union at all making it difficult to remove bad or poorly performing officers, but the administration itself. The union would love to get rid of them because they end up paying so much money of our money in lawsuits and attorneys fees for bullshit over and over and it affects morale and discipline in all areas when we see someone who shouldn’t be there, continue to operate with impunity and continue to be a problem child because the chiefs are afraid to act out of political correctness and politics.

That’s my honest take of it from a street level perspective. I have no politics involved in it and no big desk to lose so I can see things clearly and it starts at the top. I spoke about this about a week ago somewhere here, the chiefs and the politicians are the biggest reason our depts are such clusterf***s these days. Because they promote test takers and yes men instead of promoting actual leaders, and once upstairs at the big table it’s protect ourselves at all costs while we smoke cigars and go play golf, ‘this is the life’ type of thinking, and we ain’t losing it for any of you loser street cops.

People think policing is all this thin blue line all day long stuff, 100% US V THEM, it’s not, well it might be US (cops) vs THEM (our own administration), but my description of it, at least where I worked, is like being on a sinking pirate ship. You can decide what that would be like.

Back
Top Bottom