Atlanta Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in the Back at Wendy's Drive-Thru

We're not talking about anethesia

We're talking about tranquilizers

There are tons and tons of varients used regularly and safely by animal/pet owners

I'm not suggesting I've got it all worked out.......but isnt it time we started thinking outside of the box instead of being the same trained bears holding up "training" and "procedure" as justification for doing the same shit over and over and expecting a different result?

I'm pretty sure that if we can manage to drop ordinance via remote control on a tango from 10,000 miles away via drone or have that new-ish mini shuttle land/handle re-entry mostly autonomously that we can figure out effective delivery/dosage of trank to a violent person with reasonable safety to all parties

How many people die/have massive complications as a result of tazers every year?

So, what happens when you use this hypothetical tranquilizer against someone who has God knows what additional drugs in his system. How do you even predict the synergistic effects??? Have you thought about ANY of this in depth???

having said all that, though, the bottom line is sometimes force had to be applied to a situation. Seems to me if you don't want to get killed by the cops, comply with their instructions.

So, what happens when you use this hypothetical tranquilizer against someone who has God knows what additional drugs in his system. How do you even predict the synergistic effects??? Have you thought about ANY of this in depth???

What happens when a tazer is used currently

If you had read what I posted previously you would have seen that I said I dont have all the answers but if we can drop a bomb on a tango 10k miles away we can find a better way of dealing with the MAJORITY of these issues and start looking at OTHER non lethal options than Tazers

Other less lethal options like a trank/sedative may be the tool of choice in some situations and not on others

But right now the only less lethal tool the average patrol officer has that works at distance is the tazer.......and there are over 1000 dead people already from tazer use

Its time to start thinking out of the box.....and as I stated that includes reducing the number of dumb police/people interactions

Edit....also consider increasing the number of POSITIVE interactions with police.

30 years ago I got a flat 2 miles from my house during wee hours of morning.....was doing shift work at the time.

Spare was rusted up and wouldnt come down

Cop pulled up, I explained to him I had a spare wheel at the house 2 miles away and asked if there was any chance he would help me get it?

I was stunned when he said yes.....got a ride in the back without being arrested, grabbed the wheel and were back at the truck in about 10 mins and on my way in 15.

Shook his hand, thanked him profusely and we went on each of our ways

Wish this were the norm and I understand its frequently not possible but.......

Last edited:
having said all that, though, the bottom line is sometimes force had to be applied to a situation. Seems to me if you don't want to get killed by the cops, comply with their instructions.
Yeah, I don’t think I’m on board with the punishment for non-compliance being death.
Or at the very least dont try to shoot them in the face with the taser you stole while fighting them

What happens when a tazer is used currently

If you had read what I posted previously you would have seen that I said I dont have all the answers but if we can drop a bomb on a tango 10k miles away we can find a better way of dealing with the MAJORITY of these issues and start looking at OTHER non lethal options than Tazers

Other less lethal options like a trank/sedative may be the tool of choice in some situations and not on others

But right now the only less lethal tool the average patrol officer has that works at distance is the tazer.......and there are over 1000 dead people already from tazer use

Its time to start thinking out of the box.....and as I stated that includes reducing the number of dumb police/people interactions

How about just shooting the guy in the leg?

I guess that depends

We know the numerator in the equasion.....(1005 fatalities)

We dont know how many people are hit by tazers every year) hence the fatality rate is unknown.....as well as how MANY times an individual is hit repeatedly or for how long

Police need tools to do their job.......but I think all of us (and them) are best served by REDUCING the number of interactions with people and cut the nanny approach to law enforcement/laws

I agree with that in theory as well.
My son has a scanner running 24/7 (Firefighter ,EMS) and some of the dumb shit people call the police for is amazing.
On the other hand , is some minimum wage Wendy's employee supposed to go out and "Handle it " with some drunk passed out blocking the drive up window?
I know i'm not getting shot or stabbed for burger flipping wages.
So they call the cops.

Ya that’s a tough call to make on the run. If I’m fighting with a violent suspect, he breaks and runs, 20 yards, 30 yards, 40 yards, adrenaline sky high, vision being affected by being in a sprint and in the dark and then he turns and points at me with some type of weapon, I’d prolly take the shot too. It’s pretty easy and fairly common for a fleeing suspect to reach into his pants and pull a secreted firearm to either toss away or take some shots at you while running to further his escape.

Was there a 100% surety in the officers mind that he was pointing only the taser or an actual firearm that he possibly had in his pants. That will be the 1K question. And I’m glad it’s not me that had to make that call.
I don't think I would have fired if I knew for certain that it was a taser and not a firearm (in the dark, on the run), and I knew for certain that my partner was right there with me (vs. laying on the ground 25' behind) in case the perp did hit me with the taser so he could protect me before the perp could get my service weapon while I'm incapacitated.

I'm with you cams on this one.
IANAL YMMV

I agree with that in theory as well.
My son has a scanner running 24/7 (Firefighter ,EMS) and some of the dumb shit people call the police for is amazing.
On the other hand , is some minimum wage Wendy's employee supposed to go out and "Handle it " with some drunk passed out blocking the drive up window?
I know i'm not getting shot or stabbed for burger flipping wages.
So they call the cops.

Agreed

there's a video of the interaction from the start and the original responding officer was super reasonable and after he woke up the driver the guy moved his car to a parking space and all was civil/peaceful.

This is where I predictably rail against "DWI" laws.....guy hurt no one, didnt cause an accident, didnt do any property damage

The second cop that showed up pushed the issue, doing field sobriety/breathalizer then concluded he had had too much to drink and began to cuff/arrest him......thats when shit came off the rails

The guy said he had a GF and family he was visiting......how about DE-ESCALATING and asking the guy if there's anyone that can come and pick him up and leave the car for the evening or drive it FOR him?

Is it a PERFECT solution? No.....is it better than escalating/incarceration for a non crime where no one was harmed?

f*** yea.

Its time to reconsider how stuff is being done/laws on the books

Agreed

there's a video of the interaction from the start and the original responding officer was super reasonable and after he woke up the driver the guy moved his car to a parking space and all was civil/peaceful.

This is where I predictably rail against "DWI" laws.....guy hurt no one, didnt cause an accident, didnt do any property damage

The second cop that showed up pushed the issue, doing field sobriety/breathalizer then concluded he had had too much to drink and began to cuff/arrest him......thats when shit came off the rails

The guy said he had a GF and family he was visiting......how about DE-ESCALATING and asking the guy if there's anyone that can come and pick him up and leave the car for the evening or drive it FOR him?

Is it a PERFECT solution? No.....is it better than escalating/incarceration for a non crime where no one was harmed?

f*** yea.

This.

I'm granting that getting plugged for stealing a tazer is an understandable event, but it's useful to ask how they went from "waking up in a parking lot" to "stealing a tazer during a struggle." The struggle didn't just come from nowhere, and it takes two to tango: the cops had a role in escalating this.

Dude was sleeping in a car. What's wrong with letting him sleep in a car?

This.

I'm granting that getting plugged for stealing a tazer is an understandable event, but it's useful to ask how they went from "waking up in a parking lot" to "stealing a tazer during a struggle." The struggle didn't just come from nowhere, and it takes two to tango: the cops had a role in escalating this.

Dude was sleeping in a car. What's wrong with letting him sleep in a car?
Um, cuz he was doing it in in a Wendy's drive-thru?

Check out post #118

Okay, below is post #118. What do you want me to check out? Picton's salary?

Yup. Kinda like.

It's not a sacred cow. A lot of teachers are probably overpaid, but they've all got masters' degrees and could probably do something else that pays more. So the schools are in competition to retain talent; turnover is bad for everyone.

I teach in a town that pays shit, FWIW. Bottom 10% in the state.

We're not talking about anethesia

We're talking about tranquilizers

There are tons and tons of varients used regularly and safely by animal/pet owners

I'm not suggesting I've got it all worked out.......but isnt it time we started thinking outside of the box instead of being the same trained bears holding up "training" and "procedure" as justification for doing the same shit over and over and expecting a different result?

I'm pretty sure that if we can manage to drop ordinance via remote control on a tango from 10,000 miles away via drone or have that new-ish mini shuttle land/handle re-entry mostly autonomously that we can figure out effective delivery/dosage of trank to a violent person with reasonable safety to all parties

How many people die/have massive complications as a result of tazers every year?

Correct, you don't have it worked out.

Why do police not use tranquilizers?

Military and police use

Tranquillizer darts are not generally included in military or police less-than-lethal arsenals because no drug is yet known that would be quickly and reliably effective on humans without the risks of side effects or an overdose.

UPDATE — FULL BODYCAM VIDEO Reveals Atlanta Police Being Patient, Respectful with Rayshard Brooks (VIDEO)

Body camera footage from Officer Garrett Rolfe and Officer Devin Brosan were released by the Atlanta Police Department on Saturday.
The footage clearly shows Atlanta police officers behaving respectfully and doing everything they were supposed to do.

Agreed

f*** yea.

Cops used to do stuff like that .
In my town when i was young if it was your first time offence and you weren't a dick they would make you park the car and give you a ride home.
Till some POS got a ride back to his car got back behind the wheel and ended up in a head on with someone.
Police got sued.

Another Chief would take your licence for a week and keep it in his desk drawer rather than you end up with a record.
Till one daddy who was a lawyer went down to the station screaming about him violating juniors rights.
Next time junior got the full boot when he got caught.
Nice going dad.

You can't freaking win .

Um, cuz he was doing it in in a Wendy's drive-thru?
More specifically he was clogging up the drive-thru. One's "right" to sleep off a bender on their own sorta ends when it interferes with others going about their lawful business.

I might also suggest that the current MADD-driven culture against DUI makes it virtually impossible for police to essentially ignore someone who clearly is drunk, obviously has driven while drunk, and is likely to then continue driving if they go away. I imagine it's pretty much impossible for police nowadays to say "Pull it over to the side/corner. Given me your keys. Call a friend/Uber/Lyft. ... Here's his keys. Take him home, and bring him back tomorrow to get his car."

Correct, you don't have it worked out.

But obviously whats being done isnt working.....

So either you start thinking out of the box or you just outright reject good/proven options because they're imperfect

Keep doing the same dumb shit and the world is going to burn around you

More specifically he was clogging up the drive-thru. One's "right" to sleep off a bender on their own sorta ends when it interferes with others going about their lawful business.

I might also suggest that the current MADD-driven culture against DUI makes it virtually impossible for police to essentially ignore someone who clearly is drunk, obviously has driven while drunk, and is likely to then continue driving if they go away. I imagine it's pretty much impossible for police nowadays to say "Pull it over to the side/corner. Given me your keys. Call a friend/Uber/Lyft. ... Here's his keys. Take him home, and bring him back tomorrow to get his car."

Good points. To give credit to the policing world, I'd like to think the "Pull over...bring him back tomorrow" technique is probably used all the time all over the country, and just doesn't make headlines. Though I don't really know.

Back
Top Bottom