• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Atlanta Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in the Back at Wendy's Drive-Thru

Of course, being able to ask and answer is the only way to start building some understanding of what people see as ‘the other side’, when it shouldn’t be viewed that way. I think a lot of cops here just gave up trying to explain things because of the trolls disrupting a decent conversation and it devolves into a shitshow so why bother? They get treated like that at work everyday, they don’t need it here too on their downtime while just trying to learn more about their hobby and shooting sports.

So yes, to your point, being able to weed some of these knuckleheads out at the academy would be a great start.

But that still won’t stop those that are weak minded from all of the temptations put in front of them daily. It’s easy to fall prey to it when you’re acting in a position of authority, you have a lot of freedom during your shift and a lot of power that can be tempting to take advantage of and hide behind a badge. It can easily consume someone or leave them locked into a situation where someone else is now blackmailing them into working for their organization because they took the first easy 100.00 to turn away.

Those that don’t have the right mindset to keep it clean for the sake of all the others will always find a way in and work their way into more trouble for easy money, p*ssy or dope, and it’s hard as hell to know who they are usually until it’s too late.

And the use of force? You’re right, it’s very hard to say, unless it’s blatantly obvious of course, but each violent incident is going to be different, have different actors, different outcomes and different witnesses. So you can’t really nail down one particular problem with it unless it becomes more evident that that tactic is being used incorrectly or in the wrong circumstances, like the chokehold thing we’re seeing more and more of going wrong.

I don’t know how depts ever allowed that to begin with. With all the small bones in and around the neck, plus the airway being crushed so easily, or the oxygen to the brain, man, crazy, if you don’t know what you’re doing it’s a pretty dangerous and maybe stupid thing to attempt.

Yeah, I guess that's the age-old question. Who will guard the guardians? Absolute power corrupts absolutely. And other cliches'. I think the one thing that should stand out for police than other civilians is a higher accountability to the law. Given what we all know and have mentioned here regarding bad actors, knuckleheads and those that eventually become corrupt, I'd say it is unlikely we'll ever achieve that state where *all* police are above reproach. Human nature is what it is.

There are lots of good people who want to serve or continue serving (ex mil) and have the best of intentions. Then there are others who see it as a ticket to lifestyle free of accountability.

There can no doubt be much more done up front to screen people who want to be officers. Question is, will .gov enroll in that process? There are so many moving parts to re-establish the relationship with the public. Better screening and psych evaluations, perhaps a shift in training philosophy, back down the supply of military equipment. It seems to me a lot of things escalated once police started acting like paramilitary forces. An AMRAP to but out beach fires in Plymouth?

There is going to be some tough transitions to make if this occurs as the public mindset will take a long time to change. Of course, if peoples' reaction to a police shooting at a restaurant is to burn down the restaurant, it may be all for naught. I'm convinced half of society have some sort of mental disorder at this point.

I don't envy you guys, you get put into all sorts of situations that reasonable people should be able to solve themselves.

UPDATE — FULL BODYCAM VIDEO Reveals Atlanta Police Being Patient, Respectful with Rayshard Brooks (VIDEO)

Body camera footage from Officer Garrett Rolfe and Officer Devin Brosan were released by the Atlanta Police Department on Saturday.
The footage clearly shows Atlanta police officers behaving respectfully and doing everything they were supposed to do.

Few take aways from the police cam:

That guy was pretty visibly impaired.
Is it illegal to operate a vehicle while intoxicated on private property?
When asked how he ended up sleeping in the car, it is obvious he felt the pain of every man who has ever asked their female partner "what do you want to eat" and just gave into the pressure and said screw it, I'm going to bed while you decide.

Few take aways from the police cam:

That guy was pretty visibly impaired.
Is it illegal to operate a vehicle while intoxicated on private property?
When asked how he ended up sleeping in the car, it is obvious he felt the pain of every man who has ever asked their female partner "what do you want to eat" and just gave into the pressure and said screw it, I'm going to bed while you decide.

I don't know about that state, but in Massachusetts, there are 2 definitions of a public way. One being your traditional road, and the other 1 being an area that the public has access to as licensees or invitees

Yeah, I don’t think I’m on board with the punishment for non-compliance being death.
In most cases I agree with you on that point. Floyd is an example of a successfully subdued criminal who should still be alive today. Atlanta man, on the other hand, is another story. What is to say after firing off the taser, he didn't strong arm his way into one of those other cars? Carjacking to escape? Possibly injuring one of those other innocent people? I'm not sure Atlanta man's shooting was unjustified.

For the life of me, I can't understand why this went any further than the guy napping in his car.
Because as I said in the other thread, he didn't belong there.

If I'm a fast-food employee and I discover someone unconscious in his car in my parking lot (let alone in the drive-thru), I'm calling it in. I would have no idea what the deal is, and it isn't my place to assess it.

Because as I said in the other thread, he didn't belong there.

If I'm a fast-food employee and I discover someone unconscious in his car in my parking lot (let alone in the drive-thru), I'm calling it in. I would have no idea what the deal is, and it isn't my place to assess it.

Watch the bodycam and listent to what Ofc Brosnan says. His plan is better than yours, and I'm curious why it wasn't pursued. To me, that's a PD training question worth asking.

Was the guy ever actually blocking the drive through? I see a car in a parking spot and cops using the same old techniques to cajole the guy into admitting he drove to the spot drunk.

In most cases I agree with you on that point. Floyd is an example of a successfully subdued criminal who should still be alive today. Atlanta man, on the other hand, is another story. What is to say after firing off the taser, he didn't strong arm his way into one of those other cars? Carjacking to escape? Possibly injuring one of those other innocent people? I'm not sure Atlanta man's shooting was unjustified.

So kill someone for potential crimes that may or may not happen in the future?

I'm not in favor of giving barely literate goons a badge and the power of delivering a pre-emptive death sentence with no due process.

I think there was a time when letting someone sleep it off was an option. Then some one drove away and killed someone. Lawyers involved. End of leniency. Pre-internet when I was an underage drinker, the cops would just take your beer. You knew is was going to their cookout, but lesson learned. In later years, the cops made us dump it out while they watched. Then some kid got stupid, someone got killed. Lawyers involved. Now if you're an underage drinker the cop kind of has to toss the book at you. Is the cop being an a**h*** or does the system grind down unnecessarily on people who are not really dangerous?

Was the guy ever actually blocking the drive through? I see a car in a parking spot and cops using the same old techniques to cajole the guy into admitting he drove to the spot drunk.

No, it was blocking the lane originally. People were having no difficulty driving around him. The responding officer had him move to a parking space by the dumpster.

...when I was an underage drinker, the cops would just take your beer. You knew is was going to their cookout, but lesson learned. In later years, the cops made us dump it out while they watched.

In the town where I teach, the cops still do this routinely. Sometimes they call the parents to come do the pickup.

So kill someone for potential crimes that may or may not happen in the future?

More like neutralize an immediate threat of someone inclined towards violence showing an inclination to use a weapon. If he did hijack someone and hurt them then who would be the buttplug?
The cops? Atlanta man?

A system needs to be developed that puts greater weight on the thoughts of those on the shop floor level personnel.

I spent part of my career doing exactly this at GE. Administrators exist to support the brains and hands doing the actual work, to provide them the tools to be as effective as they can be. Front line workers should not be the pawns of fat-assed chair warmers.

Unfortunately, the human brain being what it is, people default to a hierarchy as a mental model for what they're engaged in.

I f***ing hate administrators with a burning hot passion.

You, sir, are clearly a very smart person. Please don't let the f***tards prevent you from achieving your potential.

He was blocking it.

When the police asked him to move he crashed into the curb.

video is clear, Cop was calm and attempting to cuff individual. Individual struggled, grabbed Cops taser and ran. When Cop pursued perp turned and attempted to fire taser at cop. Cop shot him and then the law abiding citizens burned the Wendy's down. Cop gets fired for doing his job which will be reviewed. Do we see a pattern? Watching some clown from the National Urban League claiming Cop was wrong.
Lessons learned;
Don't burn down my Wendy's or there will be blood.
When pulled over or when having an interaction with Police cooperate, be polite and don't fight with the Cops or it won't end well for you.
I guess we need a different ROE for certain folks who don't like Cops and seem to feel they are oppressed and disserve special treatment.
Some people here seem to think because you choose to serve the public you should expect to be verbally and physically abused by scumbags and not fight back.
Remember, the greatest threat to a young Black man is another young Black man, usually someone the victim knows. Not a white Cop arresting him.

When a situation that was initially handled so perfectly ends with the guy getting shot in the back while running away with a cops taser, that just about illustrates what’s wrong with the way policing as whole works.

They could have just called him a cab or an Uber and let him pick his car up in the morning. They could have let him run away and picked him up a few minutes later. They could have kept chasing him. They could have let him sleep it off in his car.

But apparently the system doesn’t allow any of that. He probably had driven drunk so he must go to jail immediately and will use whatever force is necessary until that is achieved or he’s dead.

So I suppose if the car was out of the way and not creating a real hazard just Denver Boot the car take the keys let him sleep it off providing he had no warrants out on him. Deal with him when he came to the station for his keys and paid the heavy fine to remove the Boot off his car. Just saying. Opinions may vary.

When a situation that was initially handled so perfectly ends with the guy getting shot in the back while running away with a cops taser, that just about illustrates what’s wrong with the way policing as whole works.

They could have just called him a cab or an Uber and let him pick his car up in the morning. They could have let him run away and picked him up a few minutes later. They could have kept chasing him. They could have let him sleep it off in his car.

But apparently the system doesn’t allow any of that. He probably had driven drunk so he must go to jail immediately and will use whatever force is necessary until that is achieved or he’s dead.
Back in the day Cops would PC you or if they knew you give you a ride home. Those days are long gone because of favoritism and local politics. Watching live shot of Wendy's and crowd protesting, more than one man drinking from bottle in paper bag. FD was blocked from responding to fire until Wendy's was fully engulfed.
And minority "leaders" wonder why businesses don't want to locate in Minority neighborhoods.

For the life of me, I don't see why this isn't the preferred technique (other than the current culture of dominance and "control"). These recent victims aren't saints, but they're not Hannibal Lecter either. Nobody needs you to get them RIGHT NOW, at all costs. Because lately, it's costing all.

Ok, this angel an
No, it was blocking the lane originally. People were having no difficulty driving around him. The responding officer had him move to a parking space by the dumpster.

Having him move the vehicle is a going to be a big problem for those officers. Ofc claimed alcohol smell etc and still let him behind the wheel.

IMHO the Cop was too nice to the drunk, he allowed him to break free. If the Cop was more aggressive and had him either on the ground or both hands on the vehicle spread eagle the perp wouldn't have been able to break free while attempting to cuff him, strip the cop of his tazer and run away. The Cop WAS trying to defuse the situation and it backfired on him. Like I say, the Cops are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Video also shows Black LT. interviewing Cop after the fact and telling him they'll take care of him. Mayor fired Cop because she's more afraid of unruly crowds than backing her Cops.

IMHO the Cop was too nice to the drunk, he allowed him to break free. If the Cop was more aggressive and had him either on the ground or both hands on the vehicle spread eagle the perp wouldn't have been able to break free while attempting to cuff him, strip the cop of his tazer and run away. The Cop WAS trying to defuse the situation and it backfired on him. Like I say, the Cops are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Video also shows Black LT. interviewing Cop after the fact and telling him they'll take care of him. Mayor fired Cop because she's more afraid of unruly crowds than backing her Cops.

With everything going on lately I am surprised the cops got outside their cruisers. I don’t know that Ofc, so I can’t speak to his demeanor. However, sure as hell saint Floyd had definitely something to do with it. Unfortunately, their approach didn’t work considering the outcome.

One thing to take away from that video is, how quickly things can escalate and turn deadly even when the person you have an encounter with seems to be an average innocent looking chatty individual.

For the life of me, I can't understand why this went any further than the guy napping in his car.
because he wasn’t napping he was passed out drunk in the drive through. maybe that’s why. So you let him sleep it off, Then what he sobers up to do it again another day maybe killing somebody in the process. I feel no loss for someone that gets behind the wheel drunk.

With everything going on lately I am surprised the cops got outside their cruisers. I don’t know that Ofc, so I can’t speak to his demeanor. However, sure as hell saint Floyd had definitely something to do with it. Unfortunately, their approach didn’t work considering the outcome.
Cop in Floyd incident was too aggressive and I'd like to know where he learned the technique of putting your knee on the neck of a downed perp.
This Cop was trying to give guy benefit of the doubt by not being overly aggressive and he got burned.
This is what happens when authorities back off and go on the defensive. The public, especially cop/gun hating Libs get to lead the narrative. Remember, the lamestream media is not our friends. PD's should start striking or having sick ins and let the public see what happens when the Cops aren't around.

All of this "let him sleep it off" talk ignores the fact that he was on the private property of a business establishment, and they may not have been fine with that (and in fact probably weren't).

Back
Top Bottom