Atlanta Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in the Back at Wendy's Drive-Thru

To be fair, a big chunk of the public has also lost faith in what society has become, and we are left to clean it up, sometimes with unreasonable standards as to how it’s done by the same folks who won’t do it themselves.

I’m all for question and answer type discussions, respectfully done, a lot of NES’ers have legit respectful questions and we can help answer some of them to better understand each other, thats never a bad thing.

But then there’s always agitators that’ll chirp up and want to be heard and usually have nothing to add but BS comments so they’ll feel better about themselves somehow. Always a typical scene in old shows and movies where the loudmouth in the auditorium forum stands up and starts yelling at clouds before others tell him to shut up and sit down so the adults can talk. This is not you, and I appreciate that, and it’s the only way to have these conversations to address ideas and actual things that matter.

One thing that I’m happy about seeing in this new reform being discussed is removing police from certain situations, IE, being called because a young student is being disruptive, being the first called and on scene for folks with emotional problems or behavioral problems, these things are not in a cops high list of training, and they shouldn’t be dealing with them, especially the kids for BS stuff, let the teachers and parents handle it 100%. There’s far too much expected from these folks with little to no training in those realms at all.

Way too many hats to wear nowadays and it’s a ridiculously high expectation to think they can do all of this without making some pretty big mistakes along the way. They’ve kind of been set up for failure in that regard.

We have folks that’re already highly trained to handle those types of scenes, why aren’t we letting them and why did we ever get away from that?

My fear is that the verb "defund" is going to be something that all sides try to use to justify deep, deep cuts that'll make all of us less safe.

I think of what you're proposing as "defunding." Same with removal of MRAPs, things like that. All that makes perfect sense. But here's my fear, to branch off your example.

The young student who is being disruptive clearly does not need police intervention. Where I teach, he doesn't get police intervention: our SRO and our principal are very clear with each other what her responsibilities are, and she never gets called to deal with student discipline. We've all seen the video, though, of overzealous SROs bodyslamming SPED kids.

My fear is that a rush to "defund" takes my good SRO away along with the bad SROs. As I've said in other threads, the "reform" will probably go too far the other way in the short term, but hopefully it'll find its level somewhere down the line.

I don’t really but that. Sounds good on paper but nah, just because someone chose a job does not in any way shape or form mean that they have disregarded their basic human rights, or their rights under the COTUS. It’s a different job, but it’s still just a job. This isn’t the military where your rights are basically gone upon stepping onto the yellow footprints. I find it kind of sad that you feel that way and I’m surprised by it actually.

Sorry.

It's a choice to go into harm's way, and to be remunerated handsomely for it, all to "preserve and protect the Constitution." That's the job, no?

See what I mean when I discussed his comments above...he's out of control!

Suck it bitches? GFY lunatic!

You’re looking straight past an obvious attempt at humor to try and keep this light hearted and moving, they’ve been talking like this to each other for years, and both understand that and respect it.
Lighten up a little.

You’re looking straight past an obvious attempt at humor to try and keep this light hearted and moving, they’ve been talking like this to each other for years, and both understand that and respect it.
Lighten up a little.

Doesn't mean he's not a lunatic. I should have saved all of his posts.

My choices and behaviors might, indeed, be awful and loathsome and unlawful. They might even merit the death penalty.

But that's for the court to decide. Not you. My right is to a fair trial,
not to get plugged in the head by some scared cop because he thinks my cellphone is a gun. And then for him to not even get prosecuted for it.

You’re not forgetting are you, that the courts also decided long ago, that should you choose to use or attempt lethal force to resist being brought before them, then you are subjected to having the same lethal force used against you. I’m pretty sure the entirety of the country understands this.

Sorry.

It's a choice to go into harm's way, and to be remunerated handsomely for it, all to "preserve and protect the Constitution." That's the job, no?
Lighten up a little.

Lighten up a little.

Lol... i haven't read that clowns posts in a while. I forget why I even blocked him.... but I've been living rent free in his head for a while.

I like @Picton. He's cool even if hes a teacher 😅😅😅😅

You’re not forgetting are you, that the courts also decided long ago, that should you choose to use or attempt lethal force to resist being brought before them, then you are subjected to having the same lethal force used against you. I’m pretty sure the entirety of the country understands this.

You'll never find me faulting an officer who shoots in self-defense. If you point a gun at a cop, I hope the cop blows you away. Not all the way to slide lock, though.

The current crop of police killings, alas, are not SD situations. I'll point out that at no point in this thread have I railed against these particular cops in this particular case, either.

Doesn't mean he's not a lunatic. I should have saved all of his posts.

It doesn’t mean you’re not overreacting either. Can you see the emojis used in his post? That’s humor. Sarcasm. Lighthearted funny/f***ed up/dark humor comments most men make when we talk to each other. Since like childhood.

Respectfully I don’t know if you’re a man or a woman that’s why I’m trying to help you see that. It doesn’t purport to the need for an insane asylum, it’s simply dark humor, sometimes needed to survive mentally in a violent and unforgiving world.

Does that include getting shot in the back while running away?

See what I mean when I discussed his comments above...he's out of control!

Suck it bitches? GFY lunatic!

It's insane right? Hearing animals like him on this thread are exacly why people have such a low opinion of the vocation. But they keep showing us why this is THE vocation to choose when you top out at GED level education.

It's insane right? Hearing animals like him on this thread are exacly why people have such a low opinion of the vocation. But they keep showing us why this is THE vocation to choose when you top out at GED level education.

Yes, it is, but the other LEO in this conversation is standing up for this clown! Isn't that one of the problems that got the cops in trouble in the George Floyd case?

I think an officer chooses the LE career. That makes him or her culpable for the hazards and risks inherent in that profession. The officer can also choose to leave the profession if those risks exceed what they're willing to accept.

My rights, though, aren't a choice: they're natural. Nobody gave them to me, and I don't have to choose to pursue them. They are inherently mine. I can't give them up.

The police officer and I both have the same natural rights, but he or she is choosing to put themselves in a situation where they're placing those rights (to life and safety) at risk. So, when in conflict, my natural rights trump the safety that officer has chosen to risk, and may choose at any time to un-risk.

Picton, the "level" of rights you and the officer have are both equal, that's true. And also true is that the officer chose his profession (as soldiers do). BUT, the men and women in law enforcement and military are there because as a society we see a need for these organizations. These organizations exist so that you and I may live our lives with our freedoms unencumbered by those "6'4" 330lb gorillas who have been working out for 5 plus years and who have no remorse."

Now, you say it's for the courts to decide the guilt or innocence of the accused. That is very true and one of the cornerstones of a civilized society. In more and more instances though, it seems as if the criminal is not inclined to be satisfied with a day in court. The situation becomes a matter of survival for the officers at the scene. The officer is not deciding guilt or innocence, he is struggling to survive. If a criminal acts in such an animalistic fashion as to inflict grievous bodily harm or try for the officers weapon, I have no problem with the officer killing him. None at all.

There is a need for some police overhaul. I agree with that also. It doesn't seem that our NES cop people are opposed to that either. But I feel we are at the point in our society when the scale has tipped in favor of the guilty, not just the accused. None of the BLM poster children; Rodney King, the Gentle Giant, or this latest bozo are civilized human beings. They all had criminal records. Rodney King and this latest clown for violent offenses. Frankly, if we were a sane society we would have a death penalty, and be executing 10 people convicted of violent crimes per week on live television.

I do not wish to see officers over restricted to the point where any second guessing could cost them their lives. Just like it offends me to see our elected pussies saddle our service men and women with rules of engagement to protect the delicate sensibilities of all the third world scum in the sh####les we send them to.

Frankly, if we were a sane society we would have a death penalty, and be executing 10 people convicted of violent crimes per week on live television.

I mean, let's be fair: the British hanged people all the time, publicly, for crimes we'd consider trivial. And their crime rate just kept going up.

My fear is that the verb "defund" is going to be something that all sides try to use to justify deep, deep cuts that'll make all of us less safe.

I think of what you're proposing as "defunding." Same with removal of MRAPs, things like that. All that makes perfect sense. But here's my fear, to branch off your example.

The young student who is being disruptive clearly does not need police intervention. Where I teach, he doesn't get police intervention: our SRO and our principal are very clear with each other what her responsibilities are, and she never gets called to deal with student discipline. We've all seen the video, though, of overzealous SROs bodyslamming SPED kids.

My fear is that a rush to "defund" takes my good SRO away along with the bad SROs. As I've said in other threads, the "reform" will probably go too far the other way in the short term, but hopefully it'll find its level somewhere down the line.

I agree with all of this, 100%. Defunding will cause long term unforeseen issues along many fronts.

Instead of defunding, draw clear lines about who, what and when agencies handle certain situations, with the police only being used if that specially trained party who’s trying to de-escalate a situation is then assaulted or in danger of being killed.

Details obv would be hard to figure out as to when they actually call the police or do the police need to go with them, but that alone in many cases raises the alarm and agitation of the person in distress so it’s a very fine line how they would handle that, but it must be handled differently than just showing up and bundling someone simply because they’re off their meds and seeing demons or whatever. Too many times that has gone badly and it’s unnecessary. That’s just one example of what needs to change and be taken off the cops plate. They’re simply not trained for it well enough.

As to what duties they should be handling on a daily basis normally, again they need much better and more training. Think of say a bunch of private vs a team of SF, what’s the only difference there? Training. Plain and simple. Infantry tactics don’t change (much) between legs and special operations, the difference is that the SO’s train so much that they make basic infantry TTP’s look more advanced than they are, because they’re done with such precision it’s glorious to watch.

People are expecting SF level handing of situations with airsoft level training. It just doesn’t work.

Look at all of the Big D cities as Dr Grant calls them, all of them are supremely f***ed up with violence, bad cops, dirty pols and financial issues.
Why is that? Becomes they cut funds for anything that’s not a hand out and will buy them votes. They literally need to stop being such greedy MF’s and pay for better training for the men and women they expect to handle extremely chaotic and violent scenes, as well scenes that need compassion and empathy and others that’re just simple helping other citizens with their daily issues. The only way to get better results, is to have better and regularly scheduled training around those deficiencies. Otherwise this will not change at all and the frustration will just keep growing on both sides.

the crimes I am referring to as candidates for televised execution are things like; first degree murder, aggravated rape, assault on a senior citizen, human trafficking, and drug distribution beyond a certain amount. I doubt the English of olde would regard those as trivial. Only a Massachusetts judge or an ACLU attorney would regard those as trivial.

Fear is the greatest motivator of all. Currently our government is more concerned with instilling fear in the minds of the average law abiding citizen. We really need to restructure our system to the fear is instilled in the predators among us.

Defunding is a money grab. Teachers want the "freed up" funds channelled to schools, doctors want it going to healthcare, social workers want it going to welfare, politicians want it going...well into their pockets, I guess.

I'm not huge fan of militarization of police, but don't ask ask a guy to do a tough job, and then tell him he can't have the tools to do it with.

Sorry.

I think when you keep talking about this great paycheck you’re only thinking of the highest paid that typically make the news each year. My starting pay was $410.00 per week GROSS. Several years later we finally got a contract or two and I think it went up to $710.00 a week GROSS. Trust me I’m not getting rich here and most times am living right on the edge of very lower middle class, and that’s only now because my kids are grown and I get to keep more of my money. That’s all I’ll say about that, this isn’t about my paycheck and frankly not anyone’s business. If you became a cop for the money then you’re a f***ing moron to begin with.

the crimes I am referring to as candidates for televised execution are things like; first degree murder, aggravated rape, assault on a senior citizen, human trafficking, and drug distribution beyond a certain amount. I doubt the English of olde would regard those as trivial. Only a Massachusetts judge or an ACLU attorney would regard those as trivial.

Fear is the greatest motivator of all. Currently our government is more concerned with instilling fear in the minds of the average law abiding citizen. We really need to restructure our system to the fear is instilled in the predators among us.

It's a different discussion, but I'm not aware of any society in which capital punishment has actually deterred anything. The Romans slaughtered themselves in droves and had rampant crime, too.

I think when you keep talking about this great paycheck you’re only thinking of the highest paid that typically make the news each year. My starting pay was $410.00 per week GROSS. Several years later we finally got a contract or two and I think it went up to $710.00 a week GROSS. Trust me I’m not getting rich here and most times am living right on the edge of very lower middle class, and that’s only now because my kids are grown and I get to keep more of my money. That’s all I’ll say about that, this isn’t about my paycheck and frankly not anyone’s business. If you became a cop for the money then you’re a f***ing moron to begin with.

I dunno. Whenever the local paper publishes all the highest-paid town employees, the top ten are all cops (O/T and detail pay added in). Maybe your mileage varies, but if so, get on it! Get paid! I don't begrudge high salaries for police, provided the return on investment justifies it.

That's a necessary area of reform, overtime. There is no way a cop can put in 80 hours a week with details and ot and still be an effective officer. Pension reform is also a necessary reform. There is no fu###ng way an officer convicted of a serious crime should be able to keep their pension.

Pleaae, why don’t you two go clutch your pearls somewhere else instead of f***ing up a civilized and hopefully positive thread. Neither of you has added one word of substance since it started and you’re both starting to sound like the hyenas in The Lion King FFS.

To our cop members. Would it be feasible to have a program whereby if x number of complaints were received about an officer, an external investigation is undertaken? By what organization I'm not sure, but there seems to be something suspicious about how internal investigations are handled. The accused cop rarely seems to receive punishment in accordance with their malfeasance. In this state, at least.

Pleaae, why don’t you two go clutch your pearls somewhere else instead of f***ing up a civilized and hopefully positive thread. Neither of you has added one word of substance since it started and you’re both starting to sound like the hyenas in The Lion King FFS.

Just like Stu. It always devolves into name-calling or stupid statements such as "go clutch your pearls."

It's a different discussion, but I'm not aware of any society in which capital punishment has actually deterred anything. The Romans slaughtered themselves in droves and had rampant crime, too.

I dunno. Whenever the local paper publishes all the highest-paid town employees, the top ten are all cops (O/T and detail pay added in). Maybe your mileage varies, but if so, get on it! Get paid! I don't begrudge high salaries for police, provided the return on investment justifies it.

Kinda like teachers in MA who earn $80K+ on average & get 3 months off? 😜 (sorry, couldn’t resist, lol)

If it happens every day, wouldnt you admit that's a problem? Whether they're black or not, I think we can agree that it's not a good outcome.

No win situation? One result is the guy gets beaten, thenother resulting the cop kills him. And you dont see a clear winning outcome there?

I have read several of your posts in this thread, and I am truly concerned. I would be terrified if you were a cop in my town....the eventual lawsuit you will be guilty of will not be inexpensive. You do not seem to have the skills, demeanor or integrity to be a cop.
How many police interactions are there in a day in a country of 300 million ? Add to that our country has a LOT of violent mentally deranged people on the streets. Now tell me if these shootings are out of the ordinary.

Kinda like teachers in MA who earn $80K+ on average & get 3 months off? 😜 (sorry, couldn’t resist, lol)

Yup. Kinda like.

It's not a sacred cow. A lot of teachers are probably overpaid, but they've all got masters' degrees and could probably do something else that pays more. So the schools are in competition to retain talent; turnover is bad for everyone.

I teach in a town that pays shit, FWIW. Bottom 10% in the state.

Just like Stu. It always devolves into name-calling or stupid statements such as "go clutch your pearls."

Its what they resort to when they cant bully you with their badge. Ad hominem attacks from our heros in blue. Its laughable to take the positions they have taken. I think it's actually panic that they know how bad cops behave, to the point that they have lost the support of the majority of civilians and they know change is coming.

Back
Top Bottom