ATF Proposed Rule Change for Frames and Receivers

So a forged AR lower jig should be universal unless it's a funky one off design?

I don't want to get into stuff like P80 pistols, but I might take a shot at an AR...

Well, the pistols were really the easiest, and best replicas of the original, at least with modest tools available. The ARs is a lot more tooling and possibility of making an inferior firearm.

So a forged AR lower jig should be universal unless it's a funky one off design?

I don't want to get into stuff like P80 pistols, but I might take a shot at an AR...
If I had the money I would just grab the ghost gunner cnc and let the thing knock em out for me. But yes typically any mil spec lower will fit in a jig destined for a mil spec setup.

If I had the money I would just grab the ghost gunner cnc and let the thing knock em out for me. But yes typically any mil spec lower will fit in a jig destined for a mil spec setup.
Of course, the GG uses different jigs for forged and billet lowers. Though someone is now making a new, universal set up from aluminum.

actually the 1911 tools were pretty slick

I was talking the Glocks versus ARs - with a little patience, a screw gun, and a few files, maybe a little sandpaper, someone can pretty much make a Glock factory quality frame out of the kits. An AR version just isn't so, not that it can't be done well - even after perfect machining that's much more difficult, you still have bare metal surfaces to deal with if you want that factory finished kinda product.

I have an ar15 jig made by Tactical Machining and it has worked on several different brands of lowers. I can't say if it will work for every kind.
FYI, Tactical Machining and Thunder Tactical have both stopped selling jigs. They only sell parts as of 8/24. Find yourself a jig sooner than later.

Without comment. Starting....now.
I'm going to go on a limb and guess they require you to use their online slicer, like they do for the filament printer. Eiger is known to prevent printing of parts Markforged considers inappropriate.

Nice way to spend $100k...
The advert said affordable and didn't list a price. I didn't know it was a group buy type of thing.
I'm going to go on a limb and guess they require you to use their online slicer, like they do for the filament printer. Eiger is known to prevent printing of parts Markforged considers inappropriate.
I have little knowlege on the subject, i had to look that up. I hope there will be options in the future if it's the case.

The advert said affordable and didn't list a price. I didn't know it was a group buy type of thing.

I have little knowlege on the subject, i had to look that up. I hope there will be options in the future if it's the case.
Technology marches forever onward. Markforged, as a company, is not likely to change their policy here. Eventually someone (Prusa? Creality?) will make a prosumer model, or maybe even a FOSS one. Until then, metal printers will remain expensive and tightly controlled by their manufacturers.

For reference, here's one of the first hits for "Metal X pricing"

$120K for the system. $130 to $330 per spool of material. For comparison, you can have a brand new, assembled Prusa drop-shipped to your door for a bit over $1K, and each spool of material is ~$20-$30.

The only thing that is obvious is how they intend on misleading people to believe exactly what you say in your comment. They presented only an extreme case of what they consider to be a non firearm however the blank frame inself, as supplied before, can remain unserialized as long as they don't have jigs, tooling, templates, etc... mated with them.
Not "mated with" the blank but rather "possessed with" it.

Without comment. Starting....now.

We went to the Markforged distributor in Charlotte and had a demo of one of these exact printers at my last job. We were thinking of getting it in addition to our two excellent markforged Nylon/Carbon fiber printers, but it was too expensive and too involved a process for the small pieces of tooling we would be making (custom mill vise jaws and valve testing adapter). In addition to the machine you also need to wash out the binder and sinter the part in a furnace with a special atmosphere. The threads for the buffer tube are coarse enough that this might work, but it would probably be cheaper to get regular machine tools and just machine the lower from a raw forging yourself, OR use one of the modified lowers people have developed that will work with normal plastic FDM 3D printing. It is possible to machine an AR lower from a forging on a bridgeport. It's involved and requires some tooling and special setup but it can be done, see: Machining an AR-15 Lower

I was talking the Glocks versus ARs - with a little patience, a screw gun, and a few files, maybe a little sandpaper, someone can pretty much make a Glock factory quality frame out of the kits. An AR version just isn't so, not that it can't be done well - even after perfect machining that's much more difficult, you still have bare metal surfaces to deal with if you want that factory finished kinda product.

Ceracote the finished product.

IMG_1134.jpg IMG_1140.jpg

I have an ar15 jig made by Tactical Machining and it has worked on several different brands of lowers. I can't say if it will work for every kind.
FYI, Tactical Machining and Thunder Tactical have both stopped selling jigs. They only sell parts as of 8/24. Find yourself a jig sooner than later.

"Find yourself a jig sooner than later."
This exactly.

If you have any interest in finishing an 80% lower, or think that you may have in the future - get a jig - or make sure that one of your trusted circle has one. Then go buy a couple of 80% lowers. Preferably at a gunshow for cash.

Technology marches forever onward. Markforged, as a company, is not likely to change their policy here. Eventually someone (Prusa? Creality?) will make a prosumer model, or maybe even a FOSS one. Until then, metal printers will remain expensive and tightly controlled by their manufacturers.

For reference, here's one of the first hits for "Metal X pricing"

$120K for the system. $130 to $330 per spool of material. For comparison, you can have a brand new, assembled Prusa drop-shipped to your door for a bit over $1K, and each spool of material is ~$20-$30.
Link...for research purposes

Link...for research purposes
Your comment reminds me, I could have been clearer. The Prusa example is one of the more popular filament (extruded plastic) printers. Plastic printers are good for what they're good for, but they're limited.

This use of metal is still young, and the material is inherently harder to process. It shouldn't surprise us that this is significantly more expensive to work with. When they say "affordable" in this context, they're talking to companies that are spedning lots of money on prototyping. This is being sold to someone who's considering another HAAS, not a home hobbyist. Someday, we may see that, but I kind of doubt it.

To fill out the plastic printer part of the conversation, here's the Prusa:
or the Creality:

and some reliable, affordable material:

I got a chuckle out of some of the “informed” proclamations here about absolutely having to serialize your left nut or some such to get 80% lowers.

Joe Bob has new P80s in stock with rails, pins, no jig but a helpful recommendation about a separate vendor for jigs. (For those that don’t have 2 or 3 laying around :))

🐯

I got a chuckle out of some of the “informed” proclamations here about absolutely having to serialize your left nut or some such to get 80% lowers.

Joe Bob has new P80s in stock with rails, pins, no jig but a helpful recommendation about a separate vendor for jigs. (For those that don’t have 2 or 3 laying around :))

🐯
Wow!

So, you can still get a P80 without a serial number???

I thought the whole point of the new ATF rule was to prevent this?

Wow!

So, you can still get a P80 without a serial number???

I thought the whole point of the new ATF rule was to prevent this?
They wanted to but could only twist the wording to consider the 80% a firearm is if it is readily modified.
Without the jig the average person of nominal intelligence and ability would not be able to readily modify the 80% to make it able to fire.
So it is the constructive possession of both the 80% and the jig that creates a readily converted device.

They wanted to but could only twist the wording to consider the 80% a firearm is if it is readily modified.
Without the jig the average person of nominal intelligence and ability would not be able to readily modify the 80% to make it able to fire.
So it is the constructive possession of both the 80% and the jig that creates a readily converted device.

Lots of articles out there, and I've been reading them. It appears to still be legal at the federal level to finish an 80%, it's a "PMF", privately manufactured firearm. I think that serializing only becomes necessary if the firearm goes into an FFL's inventory. Which could happen if you were having it ceracoated for example. Because the process requires the FFL to have posession of the firearm for more than a day, and thus it has to go into his bound book.

Companies such as P80 have been forced to separate the bundling of 80% frames and the jigs to complete them - as the ATF has managed to declare that a "firearm". <spit>

But I don't think the same applies to my garage. I think I can have 80% frames and jigs in the same location without constructive posession applying.

If anyone's got links to articles stating otherwise - I'd like to see them please.

But I don't think the same applies to my garage. I think I can have 80% frames and jigs in the same location without constructive posession applying.
They are hanging their hat on "readily", is it readily made into a functional firearm. selling the jig with the 80%, to them, meets that readily.

But the law says you can build your own firearm and you are not required to put a serial on it. So if you get an 80% and have a jig, sure they can call it constructive possession, but that didn't happen until you got them and the law is clear you can do this (but not a manufacturer). So it's legal for you.

It's speculation, but a dealer, LGS, who has both 80% and jigs in stock might want to be careful because I can see the ATF calling them a manufacturer. They would need to keep those two businesses separate to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom