• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF Photo Op Blunder

patsfan1986

NES Member
ATF : We'll shut down your FFL for a typo.... we'll arrest you for not having all the correct paperwork filed on your pistol brace AR.... there are no mistakes made when it comes to gun compliance.

Also the ATF....

Attachments

• ATF.png
    ATF.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 451
What are we talking about here? The gun pointed at his weenie? It’s not going to go off by itself contrary to what the media would have you think.
My problem with it is they’re wasting tax payer money having a day off on the range with WWII machine guns that have 0 relevancy to their job.

* ignoring for a moment that they are almost always wasting tax payer money even in the scope of their job.

Edit: I’m honestly thinking of submitting an IG complaint for waste and abuse.

Last edited:
Maybe shouldn't be downrange of the firearms table.
Since it appears the firing line is behind him.
Who cares those people are the enemy. Good riddance to his junk.
The firing line is behind him. That's just a bench, not a shooting position.

That said, I preached and my agency preached to put the gun with the bolt back, safety on, ejection port up, so a visual inspection could be made at any time. That looks like an old MP40? so I don't know where the ejection port is on that gun, but I don't see it in the picture.

Until I saw it was in Houston, that looks like every .fed range I've been on. On a busy range, you're going to be 'downrange' of a muzzle. Being safe and making sure those muzzles are empty guns is what's important.

My problem with it is they’re wasting tax payer money having a day off on the range with WWII machine guns that have 0 relevancy to their job.

* ignoring for a moment that they are almost always wasting tax payer money even in the scope of their job.

It's a training day. Do you complain about fly overs at sports events? Those are bombing runs.

The thing is though like yeah I was going to say the entire purpose of the agency is largely wasteful..... I had an interesting conversation with a client's tax attorney yesterday, and I told her how the ATF handled business versus the IRS (with regards to violations) and she just about fell over at how stupid it was.

NES - Carries loaded handgun pointed at d*ck all day, every day, while moving around and possibly bumping the gun. Totally fine.

Also NES - Sees rifle not being touched by anyone pointed at someone's junk "LOOK AT THOSE STUPID F*CKS".

Last edited:

It's a training day. Do you complain about fly overs at sports events? Those are bombing runs.
Then they should be training with their duty firearms. Zero reason for this. They do not need firearm familiarization shooting other random machine guns. If it were a day in the classroom, showing how to clear the guns and make them safe, sure. But they don’t need to be blasting away with antique machine guns to impress the prosecutors.

And no, fly-overs are not comparable. Those are legitimate flight hours in their actual aircraft.

Then they should be training with their duty firearms. Zero reason for this. They do not need firearm familiarization shooting other random machine guns. If it were a day in the classroom, showing how to clear the guns and make them safe, sure. But they don’t need to be blasting away with antique machine guns to impress the prosecutors.

And no, fly-overs are not comparable. Those are legitimate flight hours in their actual aircraft.
Narrow minded perception of training, but you're entitled to it.

I'll say it again, if just one of those people walk away with a new perception of firearms, it was a good thing.

I'll say it again, if just one of those people walk away with a new perception of firearms, it was a good thing.
Please explain how this is relevant or valuable training for them as criminal investigators.

Are you trying to say that this fun range day might make one of the special agents or prosecutors suddenly gun enthusiasts or pro-2A? Might it make one of them suddenly think that “rules for thee, and not for me” is wrong and that us normal, non-federal-LE, shouldn’t be harassed by the ATF and unjust prosecution?

By the way, I do not have a narrow view of training. I authorize all sorts of loosely related training/schools for both my civilian and military subordinates. But this was just a fun range day at our expense.

I fully support familiarization training with a wide range of firearms for SF and other military SOF/enablers as they very well may need to use varied arms while working with partner forces around the world. Maybe if an ATF agent were going overseas on an austere assignment.

Other than wasting our money this is a nothing burger. Who doesn’t get muzzle swept all the time at least it’s not in someone’s hands.

Last edited:
The firing line is behind him. That's just a bench, not a shooting position.

That said, I preached and my agency preached to put the gun with the bolt back, safety on, ejection port up, so a visual inspection could be made at any time. That looks like an old MP40? so I don't know where the ejection port is on that gun, but I don't see it in the picture.

Until I saw it was in Houston, that looks like every .fed range I've been on. On a busy range, you're going to be 'downrange' of a muzzle. Being safe and making sure those muzzles are empty guns is what's important.

Ironicaly, the MP40 fires from an open bolt. It is actually safer with the bolt closed. Especially if you can't just look at it and immediately know if it is clear, as you mentioned.

you have to give this guy credit though to try to move on with the class.. I doubt it’s the first time he’s been shot

Lol ... sounds a lot like "if it saves one life"...

Ironicaly, the MP40 fires from an open bolt. It is actually safer with the bolt closed. Especially if you can't just look at it and immediately know if it is clear, as you mentioned.
See, there ya go. Never handled one. I did have a chance at a Grease Gun once or twice. Knowing my luck, I'd be the one to kill a historical piece.

Please explain how this is relevant or valuable training for them as criminal investigators.

Are you trying to say that this fun range day might make one of the special agents or prosecutors suddenly gun enthusiasts or pro-2A? Might it make one of them suddenly think that “rules for thee, and not for me” is wrong and that us normal, non-federal-LE, shouldn’t be harassed by the ATF and unjust prosecution?

By the way, I do not have a narrow view of training. I authorize all sorts of loosely related training/schools for both my civilian and military subordinates. But this was just a fun range day at our expense.

I fully support familiarization training with a wide range of firearms for SF and other military SOF/enablers as they very well may need to use varied arms while working with partner forces around the world. Maybe if an ATF agent were going overseas on an austere assignment.
So, if you go to a NES shoot, you only shoot the gun you carry? I doubt it. I wouldn't as long as someone was willing to let me shoot their hardware.

As for training, I went into a trafficking stash house once. We ended up with a couple pistols (1911 knockoffs and a 357 revolver) and a SKS type rifle/pistol/monstrosity with an attached magazine (stock sawed off haphazardly). I was the only one that had any idea how to clear/safe the weapon. I happen to own an AK, which is similar to a certain extent. It was the only weapon in the house that wasn't loaded ready to go. So, yeah, ATF guys, you know, the guys who deal almost exclusively with illegal firearms, should know how to handle almost any firearm. That training is continuing, because if you haven't handled a gun in a while you forget how it works.

As for the agency existing, I'd tend to agree it's one of those that should go away or at a minimum be swept into another 3 letter agency. HSI suddenly had an interest in the deal I was a part of, ATF tried to swing by but HSI yelled 'claimed' and took over the case.

It sounds like it was more a fun day for them to take the local US attorney’s office out. Not worth getting upset about in any case - I think people just like mocking the so called firearm authorities for stupid shit like this.

Back
Top Bottom