ATF issues rule change proposal regarding pistol braces

This hurts my brain. I must be the only one without a pistol brace.. I knew they were never gonna give “amnesty” For bump stocks because they just can’t. I remember when all started they were going around and confiscating the original spring that came with the first bump stocks which technically might actually be a machine gun.

I’m glad I’m older , And my guns are older than me. I must’ve filled out so many forms wrong with the ATF it’s ridiculous I wouldn’t even try at this point.

I just try and remember when I load the belt in my guns if the brass goes towards the grass or towards the sky.

They’re just f***ing the next generation

TEN gun control provisions hidden in the FY 2023 Commerce, Justice, Science Appropriations bill:

1. Massive ATF Budget Increase to Facilitate Biden’s Pistol Ban
  2. Gun Registration Funding
  3. Gun Confiscation Law Funding
  4. Financial Benefits for Families of Deceased ATF Agents Killed or Injured on the Job while Enforcing Gun Control
  5. Ammunition Background Check Study
  6. Gun Control Research, Unbound by the Dickey Amendment
  7. Anti-gun Community Violence Interventions
  8. “Domestic Violence Firearms Lethality Reduction Initiative”
  9. “Violent Anti-Government Ideology” Research
  10. Gun Control Earmarks

Per the Biden-Harris Administration’s new rule, pistol owners will now have to complete a form that takes 4 hours to register their pistol brace firearm.

You will be forced to give the ATF your name, Social Security number, address, phone number, email, payment information, FINGERPRINTS, as well as the make, model, and serial number of your firearm – and provide photographic evidence of your compliance.

Failure to comply could result in jail time and a $250,000 fine.

To ensure that NO ONE gets away with failing to comply with the ATF’s regulations, the bill proposes $40 MILLION for gun confiscation orders. This bill also provides $14,000,000 to modernize the National Tracing Center, which is the branch that maintains, accesses, and searches ATF’s digital, searchable gun registries. Further note, additional funding provided to support whatever injuries ATF employees incur?

View: https://youtu.be/xIVveO7eJ9M

This is what irks me about government. LOL. Seriously.

Think about this: NFA is created to gain another criminal charge against gangsters. "Oh you have that automatic short barreled whatzamadoo? Federal PMITA Prison for you, buster."

It was NEVER supposed to be about jamming up every Tom, Dick and Brantley about cutting too many millimeters off of a barrel or anything like that.

But 90 years or so later, it's basically "we gonna gitcha!" Because if you can't prosecute law abiding people, you might have to downsize your department.

The worst that should happen is "hey, you screwed up here, you're gonna have to pay us $200." "Sorry."

Nope. Now anyone goes to Federal PMITA Prison.

I face the same bullspit with the SEC on a regular basis. Right now I'm getting my 13H - Large Trader ID. I'm at the cusp of needing it b/c I execute enough client trades a day to have issues. The threshold is $20M/day. Which is zip. Effectively, any trader at any large firm already HAS to be registered. Imagine if you were a trader at XYZ Mutual Fund. That fund is $3B in size. There isn't a day where you AREN'T trading $20M. It's only now that I'm bumping into it with some fixed income trades or days when I make a relatively large move due to the market. (Not timing - just re-allocating after a huge run-up or huge drop-off.)

I'm not sure what hte SEC is tracking. It's tracking bullspit is what it is. But you can't keep people employed looking at minutia if you don't set the bar too low. $100M/day seems like a much more sensible limit. But that doesn't allow them to keep those folks employed. And there is no one in DC that is willing to look into this and say, "Hold up. 99.999999999% of the issues we've had are on people trading well above that limit. And the reality is that we catch 0.000000001% of them by tracking LTIN's in the first place. Maybe, to help out the people we allegedly serve, we should change this."

Nope.

F Government. F teh SEC. F hte ATF. They want Moar moar moar! We need about 8 more Supreme Court b-slaps to these d-bags.

Interesting
I don't get the "trap". He's saying once you submit your photos and docs for SBR "amnesty", the ATF will say based on their scoring it's not an SBR and doesn't qualify? Wouldn't that mean its still just a pistol so nothing needs to be done? Not saying it's not nefarious, I just don't understand.

I don't get the "trap". He's saying once you submit your photos and docs for SBR "amnesty", the ATF will say based on their scoring it's not an SBR and doesn't qualify? Wouldn't that mean its still just a pistol so nothing needs to be done? Not saying it's not nefarious, I just don't understand.
He seems to be claiming ATF will somehow say "Yes that is a SBR, but it's not the kind of SBR which qualifies for a zero-cost 'amnesty' tax stamp, so pay $200 ".

I don't see the point -- it isn't as if the $200 goes into the ATF budget. NFA-generated tax receipts are deposited into the General Fund of the Treasury, into which all these $200 checks are a drop in the bucket.

This is what irks me about government. LOL. Seriously.

Think about this: NFA is created to gain another criminal charge against gangsters. "Oh you have that automatic short barreled whatzamadoo? Federal PMITA Prison for you, buster."

It was NEVER supposed to be about jamming up every Tom, Dick and Brantley about cutting too many millimeters off of a barrel or anything like that.

But 90 years or so later, it's basically "we gonna gitcha!" Because if you can't prosecute law abiding people, you might have to downsize your department.

The worst that should happen is "hey, you screwed up here, you're gonna have to pay us $200." "Sorry."

Nope. Now anyone goes to Federal PMITA Prison.

I face the same bullspit with the SEC on a regular basis. Right now I'm getting my 13H - Large Trader ID. I'm at the cusp of needing it b/c I execute enough client trades a day to have issues. The threshold is $20M/day. Which is zip. Effectively, any trader at any large firm already HAS to be registered. Imagine if you were a trader at XYZ Mutual Fund. That fund is $3B in size. There isn't a day where you AREN'T trading $20M. It's only now that I'm bumping into it with some fixed income trades or days when I make a relatively large move due to the market. (Not timing - just re-allocating after a huge run-up or huge drop-off.)

I'm not sure what hte SEC is tracking. It's tracking bullspit is what it is. But you can't keep people employed looking at minutia if you don't set the bar too low. $100M/day seems like a much more sensible limit. But that doesn't allow them to keep those folks employed. And there is no one in DC that is willing to look into this and say, "Hold up. 99.999999999% of the issues we've had are on people trading well above that limit. And the reality is that we catch 0.000000001% of them by tracking LTIN's in the first place. Maybe, to help out the people we allegedly serve, we should change this."

Nope.

F Government. F teh SEC. F hte ATF. They want Moar moar moar! We need about 8 more Supreme Court b-slaps to these d-bags.
Making everyone a criminal one law at a time.

He seems to be claiming ATF will somehow say "Yes that is a SBR, but it's not the kind of SBR which qualifies for a zero-cost 'amnesty' tax stamp, so pay $200 ".

I don't see the point -- it isn't as if the $200 goes into the ATF budget. NFA-generated tax receipts are deposited into the General Fund of the Treasury, into which all these $200 checks are a drop in the bucket.
I’m thinking the money isn’t the goal. Thinking the goal is to now have the list of who has what and who is refusing to pay after they thought it would be free. The bonus is they will also have the list of all those that did pay.

Maybe every couple of days somebody could update as to if you can have the braces or not? Kind of hard to follow whatever memos and speculations are going on day by day.

I realize that the OP has already purchased his new vehicle (good choice, BTW), but for anyone else who may be in the market...with an extra $400K to spare, the new Ferrari SUV might be worth checking out:

6320d09389d2b3001894e3a4

Frank

I’m thinking the money isn’t the goal. Thinking the goal is to now have the list of who has what and who is refusing to pay after they thought it would be free. The bonus is they will also have the list of all those that did pay.

Lol a lot of us are already marked, in more ways than one, by the feds, so unless you've lived in a cave or something and only made guns out of used furniture its somewhat futile. That's a pretty clumsy "registration" scheme too considering its only going to encompass like 2% of all gun owners, most of which they already know about via MHP forms and the like (I would hazard a guess an average SBR applicant is 10 times more likely to have an MHP filled on them then the average joe).

Lol a lot of us are already marked, in more ways than one, by the feds, so unless you've lived in a cave or something and only made guns out of used furniture its somewhat futile. That's a pretty clumsy "registration" scheme too considering its only going to encompass like 2% of all gun owners, most of which they already know about via MHP forms and the like (I would hazard a guess an average SBR applicant is 10 times more likely to have an MHP filled on them then the average joe).

You may be right. But you and I are marked after following the rules and laws of the time. The way I see it 2% of gun owners that could be refusing to follow their “orders” is a pretty big number that could get swept up. Leaving the “Well I didn’t have a brace so I don’t really care” crowd to keep letting them slice a little off at a time. I’m just guessing at how it could be used against folks. They are not doing it for the money or out of the kindness of their hearts.

They get kickback for revenue generated. I thought everyone knew that.

You may be right. But you and I are marked after following the rules and laws of the time. The way I see it 2% of gun owners that could be refusing to follow their “orders” is a pretty big number that could get swept up. Leaving the “Well I didn’t have a brace so I don’t really care” crowd to keep letting them slice a little off at a time. I’m just guessing at how it could be used against folks. They are not doing it for the money or out of the kindness of their hearts.
I have braces and really DGAF.
Guess that makes us even.

Senator Marshall’s SHORT Act, maybe it moves in the next congress, but for now you know it is going nowhere fast.

Republican Kansas Sen. Roger Marshall introduced legislation Thursday that would protect Americans’ second amendment rights from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ (ATF) proposed registry for firearms with stabilizing braces.

The legislation, first obtained by the Daily Caller, is titled the Stop Harassing Owners of Rifles Today (SHORT) Act. The bill would specifically remove the taxation, registration, and regulation in the National Firearms Act (NFA) of firearms such as Short Barreled Rifles (SBR), Short-Barreled Shotguns (SBS), and Any Other Weapons (AOW).

Senator Marshall’s legislation will repeal elements of the archaic National Firearms Act, which the Biden ATF is using to justify their pistol ban and “amnesty registration” plan — a policy change that will affect millions of law-abiding gun owners and do nothing to curb rising crime. - GOA

Sen. Marshall’s bill protects the right of law-abiding Americans to choose the firearm that best suits their individual needs without fear of punitive taxes, needless registration, or arbitrary reinterpretations of settled law. - NRA

🐯

Whats the amnesty window?
I just submitted a form 1 a few minutes ago, There is a link on the atf site to click to register a pistol with a brace. I think you have a 120 day, BUT.... if the bump stock ban just got squashed..... good chance this may in the nex 120..... I don't think you have to engrave it either. what about crossing over state lines??? also makes it difficult to sell it that will require the +$200 tax this is basically the a back door registration on pistols

Last edited:
I just submitted a form 1 a few minutes ago, There is a link on the atf site to click to register a pistol with a brace. I think you have a 120 day, BUT.... if the bump stock ban just got squashed..... good chance this may in the nex 120..... I don't think you don't have to engrave it either. what about crossing over state lines??? also makes it difficult to sell it that will require the +$200 tax this is basically the a back door registration on pistols
The FAQ for the ruling says you can "Adopt" the original mfgr markings, no additional engraving necessary.
Selling? Put a full-length barrel on it, request the gun be removed from the NFA, and sell it as a rifle.

I already have tax-paid SBRs, so "registration" isn't a concern -- OTOH, there are a couple more I was going to get stamped; as long as I can get in before the court kills the new rule, that's' $400 in my pocket. OTOH, if it gets squashed what happens to stamps in-process?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom