• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF eForm 1 mega thread. Process and approvals!

I used 2A engraving in Epping, NH. $45 and engraved it while I waited

https://2aengraving.com/
Nice. Anything closer to Nashua?

Borrowed an "inkless" fingerprinter today. Going to do 10 sets of prints (to keep a few on hand for future projects). Running down to the PO in an hour or two....

Digit 10™ Inkless Fingerprinting System - The Safariland Group

identikit.jpg

Pricey, kit LOL but this one is an old one that still works. I have zero issues taking prints, I've done hundreds of them for one of my past jobs (processing security clearances). There is a trick to doing the ring finger (this is the finger most people have an issue with), you have to pretend you're flipping someone off using your ring finger....

This is one of the worst websites ever to use. Keep getting hung up on payment. Logged out, logged in, lost info LMAO even after saving. Hilarious. Had to use FF, because chrome wouldn't work, and it wouldn't accept my version of explorer. Whatever. Try again in a minute.
It’s back door gun control! Lol!

submitted 3 Form 1's last night, prints out in the mail this morning with an eta of Monday (supposedly). What (where) are you guys doing as far as engravings?

I don't quite get why this is such an issue. I get it if you want something discreet done like inside the lip of the magwell or something, but if you dgaf and just want it done on the side of the magwell of an 80% then it seems very straightforward to me.

.003" minimum depth from the flat of the metal (not any ridges formed by the engraving or stamping process) and a minimum of 1/16th of an inch in height for the SN. Everything else just needs to be legible. Am I missing anything there?

Throw it on the laser engraver and go to town. Maker's name, town and state abbreviation, model, serial number, and caliber.

Clipped

Throw it on the laser engraver and go to town. Maker's name, town and state abbreviation, model, serial number, and caliber.

This is incorrect. A maker of a firearm is not required to engrave the caliber or serial number. An example of a maker would be somebody who uses an eForm 1 to shorten the barrel of a serialized rifle they purchased with a 16 inch barrel. This is what @Steelitall did. A maker only engraves the following,

The maker, (or trust)
City and state. (The state can be abbreviated to the official two letter code or spelled out completely.)

If you build a rifle on your work bench from unserialized parts from scratch you would engrave the information you listed. In this scenario you are the original manufacturer, not the maker.

This is incorrect. A maker of a firearm is not required to engrave the caliber or serial number. An example of a maker would be somebody who uses an eForm 1 to shorten the barrel of a serialized rifle they purchased with a 16 inch barrel. This is what @Steelitall did. A maker only engraves the following,

The maker, (or trust)
City and state. (The state can be abbreviated to the official two letter code or spelled out completely.)

If you build a rifle on your work bench from unserialized parts from scratch you would engrave the information you listed. In this scenario you are the original manufacturer, not the maker.

Sorry, my fault for not making it clear, this applies to my situation and is an 80%, so I am the manufacturer.

But yes, if this were a serialized receiver the last three lines would not be needed.

Sorry, my fault for not making it clear, this applies to my situation and is an 80%, so I am the manufacturer.

But yes, if this were a serialized receiver the last three lines would not be needed.

It’s probably more my issue. I hate engraving, it annoys the shit out of me that I have to add it to a rifle manufactured by somebody else. I wouldn't want to add anything extra lol. I go to great lengths to keep the engraving legal and (almost) hidden!

It’s probably more my issue. I hate engraving, it annoys the shit out of me that I have to add it to a rifle manufactured by somebody else. I wouldn't want to add anything extra lol. I go to great lengths to keep the engraving legal and (almost) hidden!

Yeah, truthfully I don't really care about it on this one so I'm just having all of it done on the side of the mag well. It's not the ugliest 80%, but I totally get your point when using a nice serialized receiver. In that case I'd try to hide it as much as possible, too.

Question for all you who know:

If when entering the data on the form, I supplied a middle initial, must that be included in the engraving?

eg: John B Doe

vs John Doe

You engrave exactly what you listed in box 3b.

Thanks!

Just had a mild heart attack while reviewing the form because I live on the same street as the police station and thought that the address box for 10 was my address with the wrong number. Took me a good couple seconds to realize just how far down the form I had scrolled.

Question for all you who know:

If when entering the data on the form, I supplied a middle initial, must that be included in the engraving?

eg: John B Doe

vs John Doe

It should be noted that there is a process to gain approval for abbreviations in general use. It seems to be aimed at original manufacturers however it looks like it applies to makers. If your name was William B Doe, you can ask for approval to use Wm. B Doe or WB Doe through the following link and form. I would just engrave what's in 3b lol.

Guide for Requesting Marking Variances | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

It should be noted that there is a process to gain approval for abbreviations in general use. It seems to be aimed at original manufacturers however it looks like it applies to makers. If your name was William B Doe, you can ask for approval to use Wm. B Doe or WB Doe through the following link and form. I would just engrave what's in 3b lol.

Guide for Requesting Marking Variances | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Interesting. I'll just go with 3b because it's easier but it might be good to know that in the future. Thanks for the info.

My paper application for the post-healy lower was filed in October, so it should be coming along any time lol.

After eForms came on line to some extent but especially after the shutdown paper submissions slowed way down. The latest approval I have seen on a paper Form 1 was submitted 7/26/18. I would be tempted to cancel and efile, then again, its a good reason to just efile another SBR and have it approved in 10 days!

After eForms came on line to some extent but especially after the shutdown paper submissions slowed way down. The latest approval I have seen on a paper Form 1 was submitted 7/26/18. I would be tempted to cancel and efile, then again, its a good reason to just efile another SBR and have it approved in 10 days!
I planned to cancel it but was told yesterday that I should wait "wink wink"

Starting to see end of June and early July Form 4s coming back. Mines from Mid-August.... god.... At this rate, I might actually get my original Silencerco can before the promos ones show up.

One of mine came in last week from a purchase I made at the end of June. Still waiting on the other one purchased at the same time.

god.... At this rate, I might actually get my original Silencerco can before the promos ones show up.

What a cluster F the SiCo promo turned into. Now I see they have discontinued all of the summer promo cans which I guess makes sense. I wonder if they can make it only manufacturing free cans they have obsoleted for so long. I know they said it would be over soon but what a mess.

Back
Top Bottom