At home cold black oxide on stainless?

Has anyone had any experience with 'do-it-yourself' black oxide kits? Can anyone make a product suggestion?

OR suggest alternatives... here is my situation and what I am looking to do...
I have an alum oxide blasted stainless steel 1911 slide that I want to finish - either black or blue but something dark and scary. I don't have an oven I can use for baked on finishes and dont have an airbrush. I also dont want to coat the metal and mess with the tolerances/fit as the gun is already completed and pretty tight.

Has anyone had experience with 'cold' dip finishing methods? Any help greatly appreciated!

http://shootersolutions.com/ I did a park kit on a beat up CZ82 it came out better than the original finish. I did not really spend a lot of effort on it. I am thinking of trying there blue kit for another project. The cold blue kits I used in the past just where not that good. Birchwood casey and blue wonder where the past kits i used.

Parkerizing won't work on stainless, I believe. Caswell Plating lists a cold stainless blackening solution, maybe someone on their forum has tried it on a 1911. I haven't used it, but would also be interested in anything you find out.

Parkerizing won't work on stainless, I believe. Caswell Plating lists a cold stainless blackening solution, maybe someone on their forum has tried it on a 1911. I haven't used it, but would also be interested in anything you find out.

I tried the Caswell system with bad results. All I got at first was a grey color. Then I made the mistake of leaving the slide in the solution longer than recommended and I got some pitting.

I just got a blue kit from shootersolutions. Judging by the condition of their website this might be an interesting transaction haha.

Bradley, what yeah blue'n.....you aint going nickle to blue is ya?

re-dooin all the internal parts. All the parts are mint but the finish is wearing off. I am getting rid of all the nickel on the small stuff. Hopefully shooter solutions will work out okay for me, I'd like to do as much of the work as possible myself. The rest of the plating will have to be done thru my buddy.

I just got a blue kit from shootersolutions. Judging by the condition of their website this might be an interesting transaction haha.

Well I don't know if the holidays had anything to do with it but they just shipped the product after 11 days haha. I'm glad payment cleared in 5 minutes for them but really....... 11 days to get your azz in gear and ship a bottle of liquid?!?! Oh well.

Really, that bad. anyway you can post them for us to see. I called Shooters a while back when looking for a park kit. He was helpful and had some tips. At that time he was haveing some supply issues with chemicals for the park kit. I went with someone elses. It was OK but when I brought the gun to greg Derr for some repair the finish was rubbing off a bit. He did a good job of hidding my 1st park job mistakes. I dont recall the baked on finish he used but I like how it looks. I am ordering some new grips for the CZ82

If anyone knows??? I left a piece of metal in some chemicals for paint prep of new metal. It turned very black. Is this the same stuff as the park kits. I will try to find it and post the name.

The kit came out fantastic IMO. If you want a real dark black finish then look else where but I really like the color it came out. It looks dark black with a coat of oil but bone dry its a dark dark grey. I put all the parts in a bag and misted them with rust lick which will sit over night so no pics yet. All the sheet metal parts for the internals I just sanded and smoothed out and those came out great but not black. all the parts I sandblasted came out better than I thought they would!!! I can't wait to see em tomorrow. The sand blasted parts are all the little things that will be seen when the gun is together so I'm pretty pleased with the outcome...... so pleased I may due the slide to match. Probably more pics tomorrow on my 61-2 thread but I may leave work an hour early to beat the snow and go pick up a new toy (finally found a store with 3 used P3AT's!!!) Stay tuned haha

I would be interested in before and after photos if you have those available.

I didn't take any before pics but if you look at the OP their are pics if the sandblasted parts after sandblasting. I can take some
pics of the same parts now that they are done. Not bad for 15 bucks and the kits came with gloves and grey scotchbrite. Also the kit can be diluted with distilled water to make 3 times as much.

I didn't take any before pics but if you look at the OP their are pics if the sandblasted parts after sandblasting. I can take some
pics of the same parts now that they are done. Not bad for 15 bucks and the kits came with gloves and grey scotchbrite. Also the kit can be diluted with distilled water to make 3 times as much.

I meant to say the OP in my thread for the 61-2 which is also in the build it yourself section.

Back
Top Bottom