ASP Batons

i know they are not guns. but, is the ASP legal to carry in MA? do you need a special permit? or does a class A "all lawfull purposes" cover it? thanx in advance.

steve

djsmiles said:
i know it's MA and all. but thats friggin' retarded.

Not at all! remember it would interfer with the rights of criminals to have thier every-wich-way with you. Duh!!!

Come on, why else do you think they don't let anybody carry pepper-spray in the state?

You should try and be more understanding on the hardships of the life of a criminal, and feel guilty that you don't feel the need to break the law!

-Weer'd Beard

so even overglorified sticks are banned...
someone needs to invent an entirely new classification of weapons so we can enjoy something in this state. even if it only probobly lasts 2 weeks before its legislated away

Or, maybe we could convice GLOCK to make some expensive modifications to their pistols and jump through all sorts of hoops to confirm that their products meet the AG's so-called "safety" regulations, and then they could start selling them to the average Massachusetts firearms license-holder and not just police departments, and then....

Oh, never mind. That's been done.

can't hit them w/ a baton, but i can shoot them thanx to my CCW. doesn't make sense. but it is MA. [roll]

djsmiles said:
can't hit them w/ a baton, but i can shoot them thanx to my CCW. doesn't make sense. but it is MA. [roll]

<shrug> There's a sort of "classist" attitude about some of this stuff.

A nice, respectable banker might slip a small revolver into the pocket of his vest, but a BLUDGEON? That's the sort of thing that thugs and highwaymen carry for their nefarious purposes . . .

Regards
John

Re: My thoughts on ASP batons....act at your own risk.....

jcohen said:
...I don't think possession of an ASP baton is illegal in Massachusetts. In fact, I think you can legally carry an ASP as long as you are not "disturbing the peace" or otherwise breaking the law while you are carrying it.

HOWEVER.....this is Massachusetts. There is a difference between the law as it is written and the law as it is enforced. If a police officer sees you carrying an ASP you may expect to be hasseled at best and possibly arrested at worst....

Has this actually happened, or is it (again on the internet), just speculation?

What about "Gee, I was on my way to a baseball game, hence my fungo bat..."?

jcohen wrote:
Coyote 33:

This is speculation regarding the ASP baton. I am unaware of this actually happening.

Jesse, you created a new thread when you answered. I deleted it and posted it here for you.

Mother

Lynne said:
jcohen wrote:
Coyote 33:

This is speculation regarding the ASP baton. I am unaware of this actually happening.

Jesse, you created a new thread when you answered. I deleted it and posted it here for you.

Mother

...Except you misquoted me. I never said that, but rather asked it.

Carrying a billy in MA could result in a bite in the ASP.

All bad, bad jokes aside, while in MA I would not recommend carrying a billy, expandable baton, night stick or any similar club.

Jesse is right -- smart folks consider the pragmatic as well as the legal. We live in the real world, not in some law book. Why press the envelope if you don't have to? Pick another tool for your self-defense arsenal.

Darius,

Better talk with Jesse!

Jesse recently told a few of us that carrying an ASP appears to be legal, as long as you aren't disturbing the peace or use it to commit a crime. C. 269 S. 10P IIRC.

Seriously, I know that there are differing views on all laws, but that just confuses us poor peons who want to be able to defend ourselves and stay legal.

Cross-X said:
Len, RIF. please re-read what Jesse wrote. His bottom line, and mine, are the same: Smart boys and girls won't carry/use ASPS and the like in Massachusetts.

The only part I disagree with is the last sentence. The implication is that "smart" people avoid doing perfectly legal things that could serve to pretect themselves simply because some police are ignorant of the law. Anyone who really believed and lived by that principle would never own a gun either.

Ken

I'm experiencing deja-vu about this thread but I'm going to make the comment I think I remember making before: How does an "billy" differ from a six "D" cell Mag-Light flashlight? One could certainly beat the daylights out of someone with that flashlight just as easily as one could by using a nightstick, expandable baton, ASP, billy, or Louisville Slugger.

Regards,
Chris

I'm experiencing deja-vu about this thread...

ChristosX said:
I'm experiencing deja-vu about this thread but I'm going to make the comment I think I remember making before: How does an "billy" differ from a six "D" cell Mag-Light flashlight? One could certainly beat the daylights out of someone with that flashlight just as easily as one could by using a nightstick, expandable baton, ASP, billy, or Louisville Slugger.

Regards,
Chris

I'm experiencing deja-vu about this thread...

My understanding is that once you change the use of a flashlight as a club. It also changes the legal definition of said flashlight. It is now a club and not a flashlight.

But I'm sure that Darius or Jessie will clarify.

Back
Top Bottom