Article: Walter R. Walsh Dies at 106; Terrorized Gangsters and Targets

The Walsh Trophy is awarded annually to the winner of the USMC pistol championship.

The Walsh Trophy is named in honor and recognition of Colonel Walter R. Walsh, U.S. Marine Corps (retired). Colonel Walsh was the first Marine to become “Triple Distinguished”, winning the Distinguished Rifleman Badge, Distinguished Pistol Badge, and the International Distinguished Badge for his exploits with the U.S. Teams in International Competition. In addition to his prowess with both the rifle and pistol, Colonel Walsh has contributed more to the Marine Corps Marksmanship Program than any living Marine.

Thanks Derek! Another interesting piece of the nation's history that I had no idea about. This gentleman seems like he was a hell of a guy, and the Marine Corp and shooting communities are poorer with his passing. RIP

I'm gonna do some googling on him later

I read about his death end of April, and can't believe I had never heard of him. If they had made a movie about his life and didn't tell anyone it was based on a true story you would think it could never happen. Amazing man.

In 1942, after America’s entry into World War II, Mr. Walsh joined the Marines. For two years he trained snipers in New River, N.C. He requested combat duty in 1944, was sent to the Pacific and joined the invasion of Okinawa in 1945. At one point, with his unit pinned down, he killed an enemy sniper at 80 yards with one pistol shot.
[bow] Badassery to the bone!

I read about his death end of April, and can't believe I had never heard of him. If they had made a movie about his life and didn't tell anyone it was based on a true story you would think it could never happen. Amazing man.

Same here..had no idea about him much less that there was a shootout in Bangor ME with the most wanted men in the country at the time. RIP

Back
Top Bottom