Article: VT: Professor’s Suicide Raises Waiting Period Issue

but a waiting period could save lives!! nevermind the other 99.999% of gun purchases that go without incident.

the answer here is to put a ban on suicide.

More meddling where none is needed.
Lets give people a "cooling off" period before purchasing automobiles that might be used to commit crimes.
Let's lower all bridges to safe levels so nobody can jump off of them.
Let's have background checks for anyone needing to work in high-rise buildings just in case...

What's more, why can't we have a cooling off period between these episodes and the incoming legislation? They are always the fastest to poiunce onto something without thinking. Why are they allowed to do it yet enact a waiting period for everything else?

Last edited:
If someone has made the tragic decision to take their own life it is hard to see how a waiting period would help them. If the .gov really cared about these poor souls they would make other services available and make sure those people aren't demonized for feeling that way.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

What disturbs me more is all this talk in the article about VT legislators talking about "background checks", aka a ban on private sales (because FFLs already must do background checks via NICS by Federal law).

We might as well ban rope to to prevent hangings. Sarcasm

Shoelaces, too. You could probably hang yourself with enough shoelaces. Also shoelaces can make machineguns according to the ATF, so double ban them. Maybe a general ban on all cordage?

Why is it up to us to prevent suicides? If someone is crazy or depressed enough to take their own life, how big of a leap is it to assume they want to take someone with them, hence mass shootings?

Why is it up to us to prevent suicides? If someone is crazy or depressed enough to take their own life, how big of a leap is it to assume they want to take someone with them, hence mass shootings?

I don't think mass shootings are about suicidal folks not wanting to die alone... they're about power and getting back at people who they think wronged them. That many of them end with the shooter killing themselves is because they are cowards.

Suicide conviction should carry minimum sentence of 5 years hard time.....that should help curb the "gun show suicide loophole"

I'm not worried about waiting periods so much, I doubt it will ever pass, there is no support. VT has been good about taking a logical approach to legislation, not just reacting. I think people understand waiting periods for suicide prevention are a joke. If people want to kill themselves they will find a way. My concern here is background checks are gaining momentum. Then comes permits and I don't want to be in a situation like NH or MA where some cop plays a role in my ability to carry a gun.

but a waiting period could save lives!! nevermind the other 99.999% of gun purchases that go without incident.

the answer here is to put a ban on suicide.
In MA there are over 6,000 attempted suicides by "poisoning" (ie, drug overdose) attempted per year.

Not in MA, nothing is legal here except being an illegal alien.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Suicide is legal in MA. Assisting someone in their suicide is not.

So what if she couldn't get a gun and just pulled her car in the garage and took a nap?
We don't count that one?
I know people who have done it both ways.
They are both still dead.

Won't matter. People who decide to kill themselves have been known to plan very elaborate deaths, and even travel long distances so they can do it in a certain place.

From the linked article:

State Rep. Anne Donahue, R-Northfield, who talks openly about her battles with major depression in the 1990s, said she understands that society wants to try to prevent suicides.

But she said there is also a bigger question. “Somebody who is legally competent, what are their rights to make a decision that their life is not worth living? That is their right,” Donahue said. “We are talking about the fundamental right to determine one’s own future.…

I agree with this. It's no-one else's business if a person decides to take their own life. A firearm is an effective and painless way to do it.

Once again, the antis are cynically exploiting someone else's misfortune in pursuit of their own Marxist goals.

I thought everything was illegal in MA.

Coakley on Illegal Immigrants - -Technically it's…: http://youtu.be/jRiXYvsrGV4

Not according to Marsha Joakley

Last edited by a moderator:
Japan has one of the worlds highest suicide rates yet gun ownership is very low.

This is the typical suicide vs. method of suicide... If a gun is thrown in the mix, the method outweighs the suicide

The way I see it, there is one question that needs to be answered here... Are you ok with someone committing suicide today by hanging, or by firearm tomorrow?

No law is going to stop someone from committing suicide

If someone has made the tragic decision to take their own life it is hard to see how a waiting period would help them. If the .gov really cared about these poor souls they would make other services available and make sure those people aren't demonized for feeling that way.

AFFORDABLE services too. Not just an 800 number.

Back
Top Bottom