Article: Velocity vs Barrel Length

Interesting to see that my new 4.2" GP100 ranks damned close to, if not better than (with some ammo) a 6" barrel.

I'll have to look and see if they have a listing for 45 ACP 1911's with different barrel lengths. Interested to see how my new 1911C (4.3") compares with 6" barrels.

Last edited:
Interesting.. I've heard it said that a 2" in 357 is pointless because it needs more length to build speed, but looking at their data. A 357 out of a 2" is as fast as a 9mm out of a full size. A cute little .357 revolver might be a decent pocket gun. Both calibers also see about the same increase over full length about 150-200fps. Of course kinetic energy formula is exponential for velocity so an energy chart might be more telling.

Interesting stuff. Revolvers have the variables of cylinder gaps and forcing cones that effect velocity. For 38/357 I would think once you go past a 4" barrel the little bit of velocity you gain is not worth it,unless you like the weight forward and the increased site radius of a long barrel.

Back
Top Bottom