Article: PANAMA LOOSENING GUN RESTRICTIONS DUE TO U.S. EXPERIENCE OF ‘MORE GUNS, LESS

This will be really interesting data for both sides of the gun rights/confiscation issue.

I go to Panama all the time and have a place there. Panama is not an anti gun country compared others in the region. One can get a license after jumping through various hoops. It's not NH/VT easy, but better than say NYC or DC for example. Choice are limited and expensive (due to the importation ban vs laws on owning guns), but do exist. Two, articles I'm seeing are adding all kids of stuff that are focused on the US experience, data, etc and have little real intel as to what's actually happening Panama. Article that set all this off is:

http://panampost.com/panam-staff/2015/08/05/panama-lifts-ban-on-gun-imports-amid-rising-crime-wave/

Depending on what actually happens in Panama, it could be a very interesting and useful data set ad I hope researchers are keeping a close eye on the developments there. Public Safety Minister Rodolfo Aguilera wants to make it happen, but as expected, plenty withing the gov don't want it to happen. There's a new admin in Panama and perhaps this is part of their new policy directions.

It's an interesting and potentially exciting change for Panama, but far from a done deal as I understand it.

If the guns are in the hands of good people, good things will come of it. If they remain mostly in criminal hands, not so good.

Stay cool, Panama.

shenanigans-3.gif

Back
Top Bottom