Article: GOAL’s Review of DeLeo's Bill "An Act to Reduce Gun Violence"

Think this is actually the summary put out by DeLeo (as provided to GOAL)
DeLeo is obviously a moron. What made me laugh was the two-way communication device for police contact during emergencies. Well, in any given school, there are several hundred of them. They are known as cell phones, Mr. DeLeo. Those handy little devices that one can carry in a shirt pocket! And now my FID will have to carry the phone number of suicide hotlines? If anyone needs to be psycho-analyzed, it is DeLeo himself!

My first impression was "Hunh... Funny how many of the summary points revolve around 'to bring Massachusetts in compliance with a seven year old Federal law'"

How much are police radios in schools going to cost taxpayers? Cheap ones are $1500 a piece, plus the cost of an armorer to program them all for police frequencies. They'll have to train teachers and administrators how to use them. And they're loud and beep, chirp, etc. It would be pointless to try and covertly communicate with the police while hiding in a closet with a beeping chirping noisemaker in your hand. Waste of money if you ask me. Cell phones are better.

They could make cell phone communication even better by adding text message capability to 911 services in this state. 100 people texting minute by minute updates from their phones would give law enforcement outside the building a much clearer picture of what's happening inside.

they are too cheap to put seat belts in the school busses, but they want special two-way communication devices for communication with police/fire
during an emergency. [laugh]

joke, albeit sad one.

they are too cheap to put seat belts in the school busses, but they want special two-way communication devices for communication with police/fire

joke, albeit sad one.

It's called 911. It has been in service for many, many years and when serviced by landline telephones is very hard to fault as even if the school's power goes out, the twisted pair still has current from the central office that is on mandatory geni back up. It is really hard to beat for a fixed location, landline 911.

How much are police radios in schools going to cost taxpayers? Cheap ones are $1500 a piece, plus the cost of an armorer to program them all for police frequencies. They'll have to train teachers and administrators how to use them. And they're loud and beep, chirp, etc. It would be pointless to try and covertly communicate with the police while hiding in a closet with a beeping chirping noisemaker in your hand. Waste of money if you ask me. Cell phones are better.

They could make cell phone communication even better by adding text message capability to 911 services in this state. 100 people texting minute by minute updates from their phones would give law enforcement outside the building a much clearer picture of what's happening inside.

I agree, and if some recent trainings I have attended are to be believed, texting to 911 capability should be online by the end of 2014.

joke, albeit sad one.

Not really. A dedicated radio transmission is going to dispatch and all of the officers/cruisers on that channel hear it. That cuts a SHITLOAD of time off of a response to a problem. Of all of the bullshit in this bill, radios in school actually shines.

Peace in our time. Unquestionably this will reduce all of the gun violence in the commonwealth. It says so...look right there in the header....

Just as soon as we cross reference the double secret probation list with the EOPS list to eliminate your ability to actually own anything, get you to register all your guns that you do own, make it cost prohibitive to transfer anything (and now likely illegal cause of dealer/93Adouble-secret probation thing) and then declare everyone unsuitable just to be sure, we should be well on our way to.....

Wait...... what do you mean that criminals, especially gangbangers who constitute the overwhelming majority of all gun related violence, don't currently have licenses and aren't going to comply with any of this....

Wait my bad... is an act RELATIVE to the reduction in gun violence. Well there you go right there. Everything is relative..

Having to report the guns you've bought, sold, and still have upon each renewal is bull shit. How the hell is a "defunct" dealer supposed to report all sales since 1/1/94 when they're out of business? How do you how a non existent business accountable? What if the person no longer resides in Massachusetts?

Did they actually read some of this stuff before proposing it?

Back
Top Bottom