Article: DICK HELLER STRIKES AGAIN: COURT FINDS FOUR DC GUN REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS

The problem with things like this is there's no death penalty for lawmakers who voted to pass unconstitutional laws that are found invalid.

I guarantee you create a law that says "Any elected official who votes to pass a bill later found to be unconstitutional shall be publicly executed." It would go a long way to stopping this kind of "we just make shit up so you can waste years challenging it in court" bullshit.

Even 100 hours of picking garbage along highways in correctional orange will stop a lot of this crap.

I think minimum would be paying for all legal fees of the defendant bringing the case along with loss of wages from their pockets drirectly, lifetime ban from holding any public office/position elected or not and your voting rights as a citizen forfeit.

DC has a curious law that sentences a gun to a a "prohibited gun" if the registration lapses. If you forget to re-register you gun, DC would add the serial number to a list of guns that could never again be registered in DC.

But is it a distinction without a difference?
Not really.

It is not a criminal offense to possess a gun which is "registered" with the state in MA. If you move into MA there is no legal requirement to register your guns. Further more, you may legally borrow/loan a handgun to/from another LTC holder.

NY has handgun registration. It is a criminal offense to possess a gun not registered to you, which even means loaning a handgun to another license holder a a criminal offense (for both the loaner and loanee).

FIFY - I'm pretty sure there are a lot of "gun owners" in Lowell & Lawrence that the state hasn't issued LTCs to.

True enough, I should have paraphased in the sense that "all the gun owners that actually worry about registration BS" the criminals sure as hell don't, they operate by their own rules. (or lack thereof).

-Mike

But is it a distinction without a difference?

It's a big difference, if the registration was compulsory (EG a legal requirement for gun owners to maintain an accurate list of firearms they own with the state) they could easily put someone in jail for not doing it. The system in MA is not anywhere near that.

-Mike

As long as there is a name associated with the brand and serial number of the firearm in the transaction, it is still a de facto gun registration, even if the system is a mess. If they want to get the info, they will get it.

No one is saying it here, but I assume this guy is one of our true heros. [bow] [thumbsup] [cheers]

Clone him a few hundred times and scatter them across the country and things would change.

The problem with things like this is there's no death penalty for lawmakers who voted to pass unconstitutional laws that are found invalid.

I guarantee you create a law that says "Any elected official who votes to pass a bill later found to be unconstitutional shall be publicly executed." It would go a long way to stopping this kind of "we just make shit up so you can waste years challenging it in court" bullshit.
CT would have install more lamp posts first.

Back
Top Bottom