Article: Comm2A Files Amicus Brief in Chicago AWB Case

Would much rather see Comm 2A working on Massachusetts issues

Comm2a is indeed doing just that, and the filing of this Amicus in no way slows down our MA work.

A couple of points regarding MA issues:

1. We have made a decision not to talk about cases until they are filed. As T. Former has mentioned, things can change (like one case that evaporated on us when we found a pro-se plaintiff had filed a case regarding the same point before Comm2A was even formed). Also, since we are talking about legal conflict, it would be tactically unwise to pre-announce out plans to the opposition.

2. Legal work can grind slowly. We start by identifying a prospective case, discussing it with attorneys and any funding organization we are working with, then we start to identify an interview plaintiffs. Once we have the issue, plaintiffs, attorney and funding figure out it's then time for the legal team to start to do it's thing. When you deal with quality counsel, it can take time to get the research done and things to the top of the pile of work. Cases are very front-loaded with work you don't see - once the case is filed, the schedule is largely driven by the court, and it becomes the attorney's absolute responsibility to meet every deadline as the case works its way through the system (if you notice the reports of the Fletcher v. Haas, you will see our side has filed a response in time or every court deadline thanks to attorney Hickson). Any attorney who is working on our case will also be working other cases (which are not necessarily gun related), and will have to comply with court appearance and filing requirements imposed by the courts handling those other cases - which takes time out of his/her schedule.

Rest assured, we are on indeed focusing serious efforts on MA issues.

Last edited:
This is entirely a MA issue. If the losing party decides to appeal the judgment of the Illinois Supreme Court the US Supreme Court is the next stop. If SCOTUS grants cert, the government's ability to ban common firearms based upon appearance will be resolved everywhere.

I understand that everyone's number one priority is right-to-carry i.e. shall issue of "Restrictions: None". Again, this train has left the station and there is virtually nothing we can do at this point other than to let the issue run it's course. There are no less than 12 right-to-carry cases civil cases - including Hightower - working their way through the federal district and circuit courts. All of these cases may very well be put on hold if SCOTUS grants cert on the two right-to-carry criminal cases that they're currently reviewing. That actually would not be a bad thing for us here in MA - [wink].,

These two cases - Williams and Masciandaro - are both really good cases involving mallum prohibitum offenses by otherwise upstanding individuals. If one or both of these cases are granted cert, we could easily have a definitive right-to-carry ruling from the high court by this time next year.

The mag cap part of the AWB is the most important to me personally since I live in a green town. I absolutely agree that the most important thing to the cause as a whole is getting 2A rights recognized outside the home. Ezell was a step in the right direction, and I think it's pretty likely Williams, Masciandaro, or both will be granted cert.

I've been meaning to sit down and right a 'state of the union' of 2A litigation. I spend a lot of time following this stuff, and there's a lot going on and a lot of things to understand. I've learned what I know from reading all over the place. If you don't have a working knowledge of the federal court system and constitutional law, it's very hard to see how the strategy works. I'm probably one of the better informed laypeople (outside of the Comm2A folks) and I still learn new pieces all the time.

Thanks guys for explaining it to me. I have given to Comm 2A and will contuine to give. Guess I just wanted to know what was going on here in Mass. Keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom