arsenal ak issue

greencobra

NES Member
my arsenal has what i'm sure is a canted front sight. i don't shoot the iron sights much but i had to move the front sight to the left almost as far as it will go. i never did anything about it, posted once asking where to take it locally for repair but thought i'd send it back and let them, arsenal, repair it. i never told them i was from massachusetts but got this back.

"Hello John
The SAM7R-61 rifles are not MA compliant. Did you modify to make compliant? Also, please email proof of purchase to verify warranty information.

Thank You
Jennifer
Customer Service
Arsenal, Inc."

it is mass compliant, done by the dealer before it was transferred to me. i told them so. in the email before this one they asked for the serial # which i supplied to them.

i'm almost afraid to give them any info, sales receipt, etc. and almost certainly paranoid that if i sent it to nevada for repair they wouldn't send it back to me.

this smells big time, am i too paranoid? what do you think?

I'd chalk it up to customer service farms rather than anything else. Sounds like someone didn't bother to read the previous email fully before responding.

If you're that worried Arsenal is going to hold your legally purchased rifle hostage bring it to a gunsmith and pay them to fix it.

...or maybe one of our local NES AK 'smiths can assist.

If it's a fairly recent buy, go back to the dealer.
If you can zero it arsenal might say it's with in spec, but for such an expensive rifle I'd be upset.
Give it to a local ak guru to smack it with a hammer in the right spot.

Removing an accessory lug and pinning the brake shouldn't affect the front sight block so I'm thinking it's a defect on Arsenal's end. Not sure if they would perform work on it or prefer to send a new rifle. If that's the case, the argument of it not being MA compliant might come into play.

Lining up and pinning the FSB with over sized pins is pretty much the only fix. I'm sure there's a smith in MA willing to do it. I think I remember hearing about a guy in Springfield who works on AKs. PM (Fred) 50bmg.

Removing an accessory lug and pinning the brake shouldn't affect the front sight block so I'm thinking it's a defect on Arsenal's end. Not sure if they would perform work on it or prefer to send a new rifle. If that's the case, the argument of it not being MA compliant might come into play.

Lining up and pinning the FSB with over sized pins is pretty much the only fix. I'm sure there's a smith in MA willing to do it. I think I remember hearing about a guy in Springfield who works on AKs. PM (Fred) 50bmg.
Just afraid they won't send it back is basicly my concern. I'm thinking my best bet is do it locally.

I called earlier in the year and the woman that answered gave me the same line, not mass compliant blah, blah, blah. What she told me exactly was I bought a used rifle cause my model wasn't compliant and couldn't be purchased new and they well, you know where this is heading. But yeah, it is compliant.

Live and learn.

Just afraid they won't send it back is basicly my concern. I'm thinking my best bet is do it locally.

I called earlier in the year and the woman that answered gave me the same line, not mass compliant blah, blah, blah. What she told me exactly was I bought a used rifle cause my model wasn't compliant and couldn't be purchased new and they well, you know where this is heading. But yeah, it is compliant.

Live and learn.

so I guess the lesson here is that Arsenal's customer service sucks. Good to know.
You think by dropping that much for an AK you would get good service on the back end.

so I guess the lesson here is that Arsenal's customer service sucks. Good to know.
You think by dropping that much for an AK you would get good service on the back end.

Seems like they don't care much about us folks in MA.

Live and learn.
If that was the case just have them send it to an FFL in NH. I'd hold their feet to the fire. Not like you bought a WASR.

ah ha. what I thought. on utube, ak operators union recently did a vid on canted arsenal sights. made me take another look at mine.

Are they going to use the modifications done to void any warranty? Can you bring it back to the Dealer and have them send it in ?

I will echo this...... Arsenal will probably say everything is fine if you where able to zero it with in the limits of the adjustment on the front sight. I also would bet their standards are not very high= if X amount of shots hit with in X amount of inches at X yards everything is good.

That happened to a friend of mine - Arsenal said it was "within spec" even though it was canted.

Are they going to use the modifications done to void any warranty? Can you bring it back to the Dealer and have them send it in ?

I will echo this...... Arsenal will probably say everything is fine if you where able to zero it with in the limits of the adjustment on the front sight. I also would bet their standards are not very high= if X amount of shots hit with in X amount of inches at X yards everything is good.

Two questions .
Is this the style of front sight .
7c7d9277df864e6aaf72d47579986d19.jpg

If so its a easy fix .

If it's not was the brake welded to the front sight ? I have seen some shops do this . If so its little bit more work .

my buddy had a huge ****ing issue with them recently with a 106cr.

Last edited by a moderator:
too bad the customer service sucks over there. I have a SAM7r and an SGL21 and they are and have been Flawless. This is why a company like DDI are top notch lately in the AK world. I even had a small issue with some furniture on a Polish AK I bought from Atlantic and the next day they called me and made it all better. customer service goes far but Arsenal can care less it seems.
View attachment 150303

Last edited:
Two questions .
Is this the style of front sight .
7c7d9277df864e6aaf72d47579986d19.jpg

If so its a easy fix .

If it's not was the brake welded to the front sight ? I have seen some shops do this . If so its little bit more work .

honestly, hard to tell. i always assumed the sight was slid over the threaded barrel and pinned, didn't realize the threads and front sight were 1 piece. i also can't find a weld mark or see where the muzzle device was pinned. again with the assumption it is cause i can't un-thread it.

Glad I've seen this post. It's taken Arsenal off the buying list for me for my next AK.
Might look at US Kalashnikov or possibly a Milled receiver Century.

I don't understand the expensive US AKs.... I would not be happy paying the money arsenal wants and then toss "mil spec" at me. I hope they take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom