Arrest in Lawrence

kalash

NES Member
Post on the State Police facebook page:

Today (Monday) at 12:10 a.m. Troopers Brendan Cain and Sheila Cooper were traveling on Essex Street in Lawrence when they observed a brown Honda Odyssey traveling toward them at a high rate of speed without headlights on. As the Honda approached the fully marked State Police cruiser it made an extremely abrupt U-turn, cutting off the cruiser. The Honda then pulled along the curb behind a parked vehicle.

As the Troopers approached the vehicle they observed the lone occupant moving around frantically. After talking with the occupant, a 29-year old male from Lawrence, the Troopers asked him to submit to field sobriety tests. Trooper Cain then attempted to pat frisk the suspect for weapons, but the suspect prevented him from doing so. The suspect, who has a muscular build, then began to flex both arms and clinch his fists.

Believing the suspect had a firearm Troopers Cain and Cooper attempted to gain control of his hands. The suspect struck Cain in the face with an elbow and tried to run. Cain tackled the suspect and they engaged in a violent struggle. As they fought, Cain could feel a firearm in the suspect’s waistband. The suspect was trying to pull the gun out.

Trooper Cooper deployed her Taser electronic control weapon and hit the suspect in the back. The probe strike did not slow the suspect, who continued to fight. A second Taser probe strike immobilized the suspect, allowing Trooper Cain to grab both of the suspect's hands. Trooper Cooper tried to take the firearm off of the suspect’s person, but the suspect regained his mobility and violently kicked Cooper in the chest. As this fight continued more than 50 patrons from a nearby bar came out and began yelling derogatory remarks at the Troopers.

Trooper Nick Nezcypyr arrived to assist. The suspect continued to wildly fight all three Troopers and grabbed the handle of Trooper Nezcypyr's pistol, trying to pull it out of its holster. The three Troopers were able to pin the suspect to the ground and held him down. After several moments other Troopers arrived on scene, along with several Lawrence Police Officers and Essex County Sheriff's Officers. It required ten Troopers and Officers to place the suspect into handcuffs and leg restraints. The suspect was found to be in possession of a .40 Smith & Wesson caliber Taurus PT 740 semi-automatic pistol loaded with six rounds.

The suspect was booked and transported to the Middleton House of Correction without bail.

The suspect was charged with the following:
1) Firearm violation with 3 prior violent/drug crimes;
2) Firearm carrying without a license 3rd offense;
3) Firearm carrying with ammunition;
4) 3 counts of A & B on a police officer;
5) Resisting arrest;
6) Negligent operation of a motor vehicle;
7) MV light violation;
8) Not meeting RMV safety standards;
9) Illegal U turn;
10) Speeding;
Lawrence sounds lovely.

I am sure that incidents like this happen every day there. There should be a Lawrence crime megathread.....

But seriously, that guy is lucky to be alive.

A: Nothing good happens after midnight. Especially in Lawrence.
B: Nothing good comes from a fotay.
And the for the trifecta. Wait for it.....

C: He'll be out on the street in a day.

Sounds like the cops showed a lot of redtraint by not putting a magazine in the perp. I would probably quit a job if I got elbowed in the face or kicked in the chest on a regular basis. The perp had a pretty good rap sheet for a 29 year old. He's been busy.

Why was this piece of shit allowed on the streets in the first place? Now that he has entered the three strikes arena will he walk once again?

Gotta love the 50 shit head patrons.

Why was this guy still out on the streets with all those prior firearms violations? I guess mandatory minimums don't apply to career criminals.
Troopers should have save taxpayers money and administered sudden acute heavy metal poisoning.

Carrying ammunition in a firearm is a crime now?
For convicted felons it is. It is also a crime for non MA residents to possess spent brass in the state unless they have an non-resident permit or are going to a sanctioned competition. At least that is what I have heard. DC and some other states have a similarly broad definition of ammunition such that an empty shell or case qualifies. Even those bullet pens could get one arrested in some states, and definitely get a student expelled in MA.

There was a hearing yesterday on Bacon Hill pushing to end mandatory minimum sentences. The usual suspects, their baby mommas and the pro-criminal lobby were arguing that it made life tough for the criminals.

If a person can't be trusted with a firearm they should be in jail. Everyone has a right to defend themselves.

Kudos to the guy for keeping the gun in his waistband and not popping the cops.

Not getting physical with the cops could have saved him a few charges but he was still looking at peace officers who were likely to jack him up over a constitutional right.

I wonder if they would have ignored the handgun had he cooperated completely.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Career criminal. Won't stop until he's a lifer in prison or killed. Put him on the chain gang digging holes.

I'm just glad they got him for the headlight violation. That there is taking a criminal off the streets.
Did you even bother reading the rest of the post? Even without his long criminal rap sheet, I absolutely support the police pulling over people driving without lights at night.

If a person can't be trusted with a firearm they should be in jail. Everyone has a right to defend themselves.

Kudos to the guy for keeping the gun in his waistband and not popping the cops.

Not getting physical with the cops could have saved him a few charges but he was still looking at peace officers who were likely to jack him up over a constitutional right.

I wonder if they would have ignored the handgun had he cooperated completely.

First, it is highly unlikely they would have ignored the weapon if he cooperated. When they ran his name, they would have been alerted to his prior firearms issues and that would have been that.

Second, if you read what was quoted from the MA State PD Facebook page, the gentleman kept the gun in his waistband and didn't "pop the cops" because he was unable to get it out. It clearly states that the "fine gentleman" was attempting to get the firearm out of his waistband and that, in all likelihood, he didn't succeed because of the 2 Troopers struggling to control him.

Third, he later attempted to get a Trooper's firearm out of its holster. For me, its pretty clear this "fine upstanding gentleman, who was probably just turning his like around", clearly meant to draw a weapon and use it on the Troopers in an attempt to evade capture.

I apologize if I may have misinterpreted your post. Perhaps my sarcasm meter is way off today.

Post on the State Police facebook page:

Today (Monday) at 12:10 a.m. Troopers Brendan Cain and Sheila Cooper were traveling on Essex Street in Lawrence when they observed a brown Honda Odyssey traveling toward them at a high rate of speed without headlights on. As the Honda approached the fully marked State Police cruiser it made an extremely abrupt U-turn, cutting off the cruiser. The Honda then pulled along the curb behind a parked vehicle.

As the Troopers approached the vehicle they observed the lone occupant moving around frantically. After talking with the occupant, a 29-year old male from Lawrence, the Troopers asked him to submit to field sobriety tests. Trooper Cain then attempted to pat frisk the suspect for weapons, but the suspect prevented him from doing so. The suspect, who has a muscular build, then began to flex both arms and clinch his fists.

Believing the suspect had a firearm Troopers Cain and Cooper attempted to gain control of his hands. The suspect struck Cain in the face with an elbow and tried to run. Cain tackled the suspect and they engaged in a violent struggle. As they fought, Cain could feel a firearm in the suspect’s waistband. The suspect was trying to pull the gun out.

Trooper Cooper deployed her Taser electronic control weapon and hit the suspect in the back. The probe strike did not slow the suspect, who continued to fight. A second Taser probe strike immobilized the suspect, allowing Trooper Cain to grab both of the suspect's hands. Trooper Cooper tried to take the firearm off of the suspect’s person, but the suspect regained his mobility and violently kicked Cooper in the chest. As this fight continued more than 50 patrons from a nearby bar came out and began yelling derogatory remarks at the Troopers.

Trooper Nick Nezcypyr arrived to assist. The suspect continued to wildly fight all three Troopers and grabbed the handle of Trooper Nezcypyr's pistol, trying to pull it out of its holster. The three Troopers were able to pin the suspect to the ground and held him down. After several moments other Troopers arrived on scene, along with several Lawrence Police Officers and Essex County Sheriff's Officers. It required ten Troopers and Officers to place the suspect into handcuffs and leg restraints. The suspect was found to be in possession of a .40 Smith & Wesson caliber Taurus PT 740 semi-automatic pistol loaded with six rounds.

The suspect was booked and transported to the Middleton House of Correction without bail.

The suspect was charged with the following:
3) Firearm carrying with ammunition;
4) 3 counts of A & B on a police officer;
5) Resisting arrest;
6) Negligent operation of a motor vehicle;
7) MV light violation;
8) Not meeting RMV safety standards;
9) Illegal U turn;
10) Speeding;

Lawrence sounds lovely.

Based on what is written, I wonder if this "fine, upstanding gentleman" was perhaps high on some illegal drugs, seeing as 2 hits from a Taser did not incapacitate the gentleman and that it ultimately took 10 LEOs to subdue him and restrain him.

Did you even bother reading the rest of the post? Even without his long criminal rap sheet, I absolutely support the police pulling over people driving without lights at night.

I'm just making a funny. There is some just cause ultimately for the arrest as this guy has a violent criminal history. However I do believe in the notion that if you can be trusted in public, you can be trusted with a firearm.

Why was this guy still out on the streets with all those prior firearms violations? I guess mandatory minimums don't apply to career criminals.
Troopers should have save taxpayers money and administered sudden acute heavy metal poisoning.

This is at the heart of why gun owners are so sick and ****ing tired of the constant onslaught against our rights. We'll comply with every new law they throw at us because we know they're gleefully wreck our entire ****ing lives if we don't, but actual violent shitbags like this guy are free to walk the streets.

FIFY

I bet he's out on bail in a handful of days, and over/under is he gets no more than 90 days IF he's convicted.

POS AG, and POS judiciary for not having this scum removed from society.

the fact that he assaulted one of the state's anointed ones in blue may work against him. If he only attacked a pleb, he'd be out tomorrow.

Either way though, most of the stacked charges will drop and he'll be able to plea down on the rest. Bet he doesn't do more than 12 months, if that.

Back
Top Bottom