Armor piercing and Tracer ammunition

dhuze

NES Member
An island surrounded by land on three sides
Where does the information that these two types of ammunition are illegal in Mass come from? I was looking in the Massachusetts laws and it doesn't even mention either of these.
I'm not trying to start an arguement. I just hear it all the time and today I decided to look and see what it says. As a matter of fact I cannot find it mentioned in any of the North East state laws except RI. Where they only specify that AP "which are designed for use in pistols as armor-piercing or metal-piercing bullets." Are illegal.

Last edited:
"Armor Piercing" rounds are not illegal in MA, yet. There have been numerous bills submitted to ban "armor piercing" ammunition, but none have gone anywhere. The bills have defined armor piercing to be anything from a JHP or FMJ round to depleted uranium, and haven't actually made the armor piercing characteristic based on the bullet's ability to pierce armor.

As for tracer rounds, your guess is as good as mine.

This is from ATF.

List of Armor Piercing Ammunition

KTW AMMUNITION, all calibers. (Identified by a green coating on the projectile)

ARCANE AMMUNITION, all calibers. (Identified by a pointed bronze or brass projectile)

THV AMMUNITION, all calibers. (Identified by a brass or bronze projectile and having a headstamp containing the letters SFM and THV)

CZECHOSLOVAKIAN manufactured 9mm Parabellum (Luger) ammunition having an iron or steel core. (Identified by a cupronickel jacket and headstamp containing a triangle, star and dates 49, 50, 51, or 52. The bullet is attracted to a magnet)

GERMAN manufactured 9mm Parabellum (Luger) having an iron or steel bullet core. (Original packaging is marked Pisolenpatronen 08 m.E. May have black colored bullet. This bullet is attracted to a magnet)

MSC AMMUNITION, Caliber .25. (Identified by a hollow point brass bullet. NOTE: MSC ammunition Caliber .25 identified by a hollow point copper bullet is not armor piercing)

BLACK STEEL ARMOR PIERCING AMMUNITION, All Calibers, as produced by National Cartridge, Atlanta, Georgia.

BLACK STEEL METAL PIERCING AMMUNITION, All Calibers, as produced by National Cartridge, Atlanta, Georgia.

7.62mm NATO AP (Identified by black coloring in the bullet tip. This ammunition is used by various NATO countries. The U.S. military designation is M61 AP)

7.62mm NATO SLAP (identified by projectile having a plastic sabot around a hard penetrator. The penetrator protrudes above the sabot and is similar in appearance to a Remington accelerator cartridge)

PMC ULTRAMAG .38 Special caliber, constructed entirely of a brass type material, and plastic pusher disc located at the base of the projectile. NOTE: PMC ULTRAMAG 38J late production made of copper with lead alloy projectile is not armor piercing.

OMNISHOCK, a .38 Special cartridge with a lead bullet containing a mild steel core with a flattened head resembling a wad cutter. (NOTE: OMNISHOCK cartridges having a bullet with an aluminum core are not armor piercing.)

7.62x39mm with steel core. (NOTE: these projectiles have a steel core. Projectiles having a lead core with steel jacket or steel case are not armor piercing)

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING CARTRIDGES HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE DEFINITION OF ARMOR PIERCING AMMUNITION:

5.56MM (.223) SS109 and M855 Ammunition, Identified by a green coating on the projectile tip.

U.S. .30-06 M2 AP, Identified by a black coating on the projectile tip.

As for tracer rounds, your guess is as good as mine.

Chapter 131: Section 64 is pretty much all that is out there for tracers.

Section 64. A person shall not use... any tracer or incendiary ammunition for hunting or outdoor target shooting purposes except on a skeet, trap, or target range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom