Arizona Man Fatally Shot While Testing Bulletproof Vest

I can picture someone being stupid enough to think that vest was going to save him.
Finder someone even more stupid to pull the trigger must have been a feat.

The article mentions vest and plate so it seems like it was a plate carrier with a plate. He was shot in the abdomen so maybe the shooter aimed low. Not that any of that matters, they're both morons.

One's a a royal moron; the other is rigor mortis.

Of course, it says that they were shooting at it, before....perhaps it's bullet proof, but not bullets proof

He is gone but now his family will have to deal with his loss. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe body armor is labeled as to what threat it will safely handle. Sounds like this guy took a center fire rifle hit on a vest rated to stop handgun rounds only.

It said abdomen it made it sound as though he aimed the rifle at him and missed the plate / body armor entirely...

Once tested my transmission blanket by hanging it up and shooting it. Because I hung it up and did not shoot while on the transmission I saved a trip to aamco transmission's emergency room.

Looks to be a pass through.

Man dies after being shot through ballistic vest

At one point the victim, identified in the news release as 25-year-old Parker Ray Lynch of Thatcher, reportedly put on the vest and, with a ballistic plate in place, had one of the others shoot at it. The shot reportedly penetrated the vest and plate.

Graham County Dispatch was notified at approximately 5:56 p.m. Monday, and first responders found Lynch with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. Medically trained members of the Pima Police started giving him aid. Members of the Thatcher Police and Graham County Sheriff’s Office also responded to the scene.

The rifle, vest and plate were recovered at the scene. According to the news release, evidence indicated the shot that struck Lynch was fired by a subject named Steven R. Watson. Based on the circumstances, Watson was arrested and booked into the Graham County Adult Detention Facility on a manslaughter charge.

We tested a vest on the range last summer. Without anyone in it.
It did a perfect job of stopping EVERY handgun round. Shook as it absorbed the energy.
Let a .223 round go at it. That .223 round penetrated BOTH sides of the vest and continued the next 100 yards uninterrupted.
(.223 55 grain nothing special round for training)
The vest did NOT move on impact. Did not move AT ALL.
We even wondered if we missed.
NOPE.
Entrance and exit holes were there.

We tested a vest on the range last summer. Without anyone in it.
It did a perfect job of stopping EVERY handgun round. Shook as it absorbed the energy.
Let a .223 round go at it. That .223 round penetrated BOTH sides of the vest and continued the next 100 yards uninterrupted.
(.223 55 grain nothing special round for training)
The vest did NOT move on impact. Did not move AT ALL.
We even wondered if we missed.
NOPE.
Entrance and exit holes were there.

Damn. I bitch at the cost of the splatter targets or shoot n see targets. My range bag has a stack of paper plates in it. I only use the "expensive" targets when I take someone to the range.
Shooting at a vest is expensive. You might as well use a Porsche for a target.

Looks to be a pass through.

At one point the victim, identified in the news release as 25-year-old Parker Ray Lynch of Thatcher, reportedly put on the vest and, with a ballistic plate in place, had one of the others shoot at it. The shot reportedly penetrated the vest and plate.

Graham County Dispatch was notified at approximately 5:56 p.m. Monday, and first responders found Lynch with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. Medically trained members of the Pima Police started giving him aid. Members of the Thatcher Police and Graham County Sheriff’s Office also responded to the scene.

The rifle, vest and plate were recovered at the scene. According to the news release, evidence indicated the shot that struck Lynch was fired by a subject named Steven R. Watson. Based on the circumstances, Watson was arrested and booked into the Graham County Adult Detention Facility on a manslaughter charge.

how long until someone from his family tries to sue the manufacturer of the plate?

Stupid bastards...

Herd THins Self.JPG
url

Last edited:
The article mentions vest and plate so it seems like it was a plate carrier with a plate. He was shot in the abdomen so maybe the shooter aimed low. Not that any of that matters, they're both morons.

Or maybe the shooter just missed the plate. On the common vests I've seen the soft, handgun rated armor encircles the body whereas the hard, rifle rated plates cover an area about 10x12" center of mass.

Damn. I bitch at the cost of the splatter targets or shoot n see targets. My range bag has a stack of paper plates in it. I only use the "expensive" targets when I take someone to the range.
Shooting at a vest is expensive. You might as well use a Porsche for a target.

To be fair, it was an advanced tactical rifle class .. the vest was part of the class ... the point was don't stand in the way of a rifle, or presume there is no rifle in play.

Back
Top Bottom