Are you old enough to remember the Mattel Tommy Burst Detective Set?

Yes, and I had the Guerilla Tommy Gun set with tripwire booby trap, camo poncho, Kabar and beret if I remember right. Very cool. I particularly liked my Defender Dan tripod mounted, belt fed machine gun. Cartridges were two parts, plastic bullet and casing. You trapped the bullet into the casing on the belt. Pulled the cocking handle back and the it would cycle a metal plunger shooting the bullets, ejecting the casings and feeding the belt. Good stuff from 1961 when toys were toys!!

Gary
dd.jpg

I loved my Mattel Tommy Gun in green camo. With or without caps, it was sooooooo cool. Played army with my friends (10-14 year olds) all over the neighborhood. Nobody even gave us a second glance.

Those were the days.......I wonder what would have happened if it was now rather than then. [wink]

Loved it...had to steal some time with my neighbors as I didn't have one. I loved playing war or cowboys and indians. I broke my wrist diving from a snowball grenade when I was 10 and have a scar from 3 stitches over my left eye from being hit with the butt of a cowboy capgun when we went "bar room brawl"!!! I dopn't think we played any rougher than anyone else...I think I was just a clumsy, geek! [thinking]

Yes I remember it and yes I had one. I was 10.... boy that seems like a long time ago. And if your kid showed up with one of those today you'd have DSS all over your butt.

Last edited:
I had that set. Those Greenie stickem caps would shoot a small gray plastic bullet that was spring loaded into the casing.

All fun and games until someone puts an eye out. [smile]

We used to hit whole rolls of those red caps with a brick......talk about ringing ears!!!!

I had a gun hidden in a briefcase that would shoot plastic orange bullets. Must have been something related to Jame Bond or the like. It was really cool until one of the projectiles hit my Auntie in the glasses from across the living room. That was the last I remember seeing my toy...lasted all of ~ 2 hours I think. Merry Xmas kid.

-MS

I don't recall that toy, but it is cool. Shoot, I'd buy it now & put it in my office for sh*ts & giggles.

I didn't have the tommtgun, but I remember the commercial.

I had the Johnny Eagle 1911, which shot the grey plastic bullets, out of the spring loaded shell

Isn't that sickening!
And $5 got you the holster and everything.
I remember as a kid going to the S.S.Kressege(sp?)store and finding rows and rows of toy guns of all styles. Try to find any at a K-Mart or Target today.
Let alone commercials like these on Saturday morning TV aimed at 8-10 year old boys!
Lord, I really AM a dinosauer![wink]

I remember I had a lever action rifle with a metal receiver and lever where when you cranked the lever it compressed air and when you pulled the tirgger it made a "pop" noise as the air shot out through a hole in the side of receiver.

I had that set. Those Greenie stickem caps would shoot a small gray plastic bullet that was spring loaded into the casing.

We used to hit whole rolls of those red caps with a brick......talk about ringing ears!!!!

That was the Mattel Shootin Shell, they came in all kind of configuration. I remember a rolling block carbine, and a derringer in a belt buckle .

I hated the Greenie stickum caps..they would build up on the base of the shell and were a pain to remove[grin]

Aging myself here, but does anybody remember a pump action long gun that shot ping pong balls? My older brother got one for Xmas back about 1956. I also remember he shot most of the bulbs off the Xmas tree[smile]

I used to have the revolving rifle version. What a nice piece.

When I went into the service my brother trashed it. I was devastated.

Greenie stickem capsand the bullets that shot.

Great stuff,
Bob

Oh yeah! I did the brick thing......once!!!!

For that and Vic Morrow in Combat I just had to buy a Thompson!

Me too! I BEGGED my mom & dad for it until they bought me one. Combat! was my favorite t.v. show along with Bonanza. Anything with guns in it.

That's why I'm a gun nut today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom