• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are they still making the Russian SKS?

We've had a lot of good SKS talk in the Milsurp Collectors Forum lately. Well, I do know the answer to the question. And it is, "No, the Russians ceased SKS production shortly after AK47 production ramped up in the late 1950's."

But if they built SKS's today, it would look like this. 1957 I- Letter Series, original laminate stock, unissued. Just short of perfect.

I haven't posted a lot of new SKS purchases over the past couple of years, because truthfully, there aren't a lot of slots left to fill in the collection.

But that situation changed with the acquisition of an I-Series in an original issue laminate stock. And it's hands down the best conditioned SKS in the collection. I have to think that the following images are what the workers of the Tula Arsenal would remember when the new guns were rolling of the production line.

The original laminate stock is recognized by the rich garnet color, a much thinner wrist than the later refurbished laminate stocks, and a buttplate with the tab on top instead of flat across the back. Only the serial number is stamped on the left buttstock. It will also have all the usual inspection stamps of a non-refurb around the crossbolt, and acceptance stamp on the right rear.

Anyway, I'm going to need to remember my sunglasses to cut down the reflection glare in my vault from now on. I hope you enjoy, lots of pics, and thanks for looking.

letterLam_002.jpg

letterLam_003.jpg

letterLam_010.jpg

letterLam_011.jpg

letterLam_007.jpg

letterLam_008.jpg

letterLam_009.jpg

letterLam_004.jpg

letterLam_012.jpg

letterLam_014.jpg

letterLam_015.jpg

letterLam_017.jpg

letterLam_016.jpg

letterLam_013.jpg

letterLam_018.jpg

letterLam_019.jpg

letterLam_020.jpg

letterLam_021.jpg

letterLam_022.jpg

letterLam_023.jpg

letterLam_024.jpg

letterLam_026.jpg

letterLam_025.jpg

letterLam_003.jpg

letterLam_002.jpg

That's a nice looking rifle....... I read molot considered manufacturing new sks sporting rifles but bailed as I guess the cost was huge. Something like 1500usd retail?
Now for the laminated stocks why is it the laminated stocks on these old work horses looks so nice.. vs the modern laminated stocks? If only they could reproduce these laminated stocks....

Now for the laminated stocks why is it the laminated stocks on these old work horses looks so nice.. vs the modern laminated stocks? If only they could reproduce these laminated stocks....

I think its a combination of the glue and shellac they used early vs later. I've got an M44 with a laminate stock that's got an incredible honey color to it mixed with reddish brown.

Not even 1 mag just for the glory of it? ;) I actually have to go back and read if you mentioned whether or not it's been fired. If not, I wouldn't fault you for queening it.

I didn't mention earlier, but it does still have grease in the chamber and magazine. Looks unfired since testing and storage. I have plenty of shooter SKS's.

Back
Top Bottom