Are Kimbers worth it??

How long ago were they released? You would think by now they would have worked out most if not all of the kinks. I saw a sig 1911 review/clip and they looked pretty hot. Love to hear about it from current owners. But it sounds like you know your 1911's.

How long ago were they released? You would think by now they would have worked out most if not all of the kinks. I saw a sig 1911 review/clip and they looked pretty hot. Love to hear about it from current owners.
Why don't you head over the Sig forum? I'm sure there are some folks over there that have them and can give you firsthand info.

Starting $1600, but I would say if I was to go have one of the smiths I use to build a gun that I knew was going to be perfect fit with quality parts but minimal extra flash, a basic single stack competition gun. Probably $2500

a quality 1911 takes a good amount of fitting, its not done while you wait

Last edited:
I have a Kimber Elite Carry. My brother has a Kimber Pro Carry and a Custom Target II. We've never had a problem with any of them.

I have 2 kimbers one with at least 1k rounds through it and and the other with at least 2k rounds down the pipe.I haven't had any problems and one is my carry peice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference between a properly build custom and a factory gun/ poorly fitted gun becomes apparent when you really start putting rounds down range. At 5k or 10K, guns that seemed like they were properly fitted, start to become loose, frame and slide fit goes south because the fit had peaks and valleys that have now worn accelerating the wear, barrel/bushing,lug fit is accelerated. Trigger starts to follow because the angle were not cut perfect. Now you are left with a gun that need to be rebuilt. Wait until 25K rounds and the wear will bad enough that it won't run and parts will break. In one year of shooting, you need a new gun. This is when you see the value of a $2500 custom. Plus $2500 is nothing compared to what you are spending in ammo over the life of the gun.

Have a CDP II and never a problem,for the money they are hard to beat.
Iif you want to go the next step (another grand) Ed Brown makes some nice 45's too.

I have a Kimber Custom Compact and I love it,, no problems, ever. It shoots like the custom builds they used to build for us for team shooting.

I only paid $575 for mine at the Marine Corps Exchange at Camp Allen in VA, back in 1998.

I'm not sure if I would pay $1,100 for a handgun.

But I love my Kimber.

I have owned just about every 1911 made and even a few custom jobs.
I can tell you in simple terms that the gun that fits you best and runs the ammo you use consistantly will always be the best gun out there.
This may be anything from a Smith 1911 to a Kimber classic but it can also be as simple as a Rock Island or any basic GI being offered.
The bigest mistake with 1911's is to try and make 1 do everything you want from carry to competition.
IMHO 1911's well you can't own just one period.
P.S. I absolutely hate Glocks BUT I would never be caught without one THEY JUST DON'T SEEM TO FAIL.......EVER!
Thanks

Last edited:
Thread Resurrection!

I been looking at a Kimber Crimson Carry II at my local shop. I reall want a compact .45 but $1,100 seems a lot. So is it worth paying almost double? I realize its all what you like but I guess ounce for ounce are they that much better.

Thanks

Had a shoot at the farm this weekend and had to jump back on this topic for a bit.
Owning 3 Kimbers, all bought "pre-owned" 1- maybe never or rarely shot. I love the things. I got to see and shoot a new issue piece at our place Sunday. My brother-in-law got a new Springfield Range Officer. What a awesome piece.
Tight and very nice shooter. AND THE PRICE! Half of a new Kimber base model. Only issue I saw for carry was the standard target style adjustable sights. I still love my Kimbers, but may have put cash on a Range Officer if it had been out at the time. It will be interesting to see when used ones start to show up and how the low price holds over time.
Maybe we get this thread active again?[coffee]

I own a couple Kimbers and I think they are great and well worth the money. When comparing my Custom Stainless TLE II to a Colt XSE what it would cost me to upgrade the XSE with new sights, front strap checkering and new grip safety the Kimber cost less. I've had zero problems with the gun and she's very accurate. Really nice gun to shoot. I also got the Tactical Pro in 9mm. Another fun and accurate gun to shoot. I'm now looking for a new 3" .45. I have a Colt Defender that's been back to Colt a couple times and still has issues. The Kimber Super Carry Ultra or Kimber Ultra CDP are my top two choices.. To me they are worth the money. Not saying anything bad about Glocks or any polymer type gun but to me they feel cheap.. They have a great rep for reliability but they just feel cheap. I've held the Kimber Ultra Raptor too and that has a strange or cheap feeling to it too. Guess your best to hold them and play with them a bit to decide what feels right for you..

Last edited:
Kimber 1911 revisit

Setting aside the fact that Kimber and Mass are not best of friends; There are two Kimbers in my safe (actually one on my belt, and one in the safe) they have a permanent home. One, my usual carry piece is a Compact Aluminum, with some age on it, not real sure of the age but maybe 15 years, a pure quess. The other a much newer Government sized TLE II. Both are a sure bet for function and accuracy. Kimber mags or Wilsons makes no difference. Spec magazines will run. If the mags you use are knock offs or they are dropped or cheaply made with poor quality control problems then all bets are off. But, that goes for any magazine.
I never thought I would drop the dime for a Kimber until I fired one and started shopping for a used one. I have only one piece I bought Brand New, my 92FS.
My first Kimber, this Compact that looked like hell, I found at a shop in Newington, CT. In the very back of the case. It called my name and I came back a couple of weeks later and it was still there. Got a good cash deal on it and have been smiling about it ever since.
Since I am rambling and getting boring I am going to shut-up now. Basically, I love my Kimbers

I said almost, I have seen Springfield's in the case for about $600 and Rock Island has one for about $430. The RI has a really nice trigger pull. The problem is most are full size...

I sold one of the RIA offices size a few months back and I'm bummed that I did. It was one of the nicest running 1911's I've ever owned (I still have several other modles)
Goog gun for short money

Back
Top Bottom