ar15

I saw what I was told a post ban ar15 today. It didnt have a bayonet lug, but it had an a2 style flashider that was welded on. I know muzzle brakes are allowed if welded on but I though a2 stlye flashiders were a no no, even welded on?

Technically, an FS is allowed and it doesn't have to be welded on, but the catch is that it's pretty much a given that an AR will almost always have a pistol grip.

Having more than one, "evil feature" (pistol grip and an FS) is a no-no.

One way around that is to remove the pistol grip and have a thumbhole stock attached then one could legally attach an FS to the rifle.

Well it was a colt hbar, post ban. It had a pistol grip, and the flashider was pinned on. I assume its legal in MA one way or another as it was in a gun store here.

Ericman said:
Well it was a colt hbar, post ban. It had a pistol grip, and the flashider was pinned on. I assume its legal in MA one way or another as it was in a gun store here.

It's legal for the dealer to have it in MA, but it's not legal to sell to a civilain... LEO only (in which case there's no need for the FS to be pinned on).

So what do you think? Do you think there has been some legal error? It seems to me if it was non AWB compliant it would have a bayonet lug.

Not all prebans have lugs. My preban HBAR has the bird cage flashhider and no lug.

I don't think it's a legal error but more like outdated information. Colt has a crappy, outdated web site. Note the 2003 copyright date on the page--one year before the Federal AWB sunset. Compensator is another term for muzzle break (unless someone can point out some difference that i'm not aware of!).

Most likely the photo is from the Ban era--note the small magainze (they list a 9 round capacity???). But forget all that, you can't go by this outdated web site info. If you have any doubt that the FFL is misleading you I'd find another FFL to deal with. For reassurance look at ar15.com or google for photos of AWB ATF approved muzzle breaks.

Last edited:
Compensator = Muzzle brake.

Sometimes there can be subtle differences between a flash suppressor and a muzzle brake. The easiest way to tell the difference is that business end of an FS will have a much larger diameter opening...

YHM-28-5C2.jpg

A muzzle brake will have an opening roughly the same size diameter as the bore of the firearm...

YHM-28-5M1.jpg

A muzzle brake will usually have a series of holes drilled into it rather than the slots found on an FS.

There are a lot of pre-ban Colts out there without a bayonet lug.

In an effort to appease the antis by making their ARs appear less "evil", Colt
intentionly removed the bayonet lug a few years before the 94 AWB (whole lot of good it did).

Companies like DPMS, manufactured bolt-on bayo lugs that were perfectly legal to install on pre-ban rifles even while the ban was in effect.

BL-LUG.jpg

Well, seeing as it was made by colt. And its the same one as the rifle on their webpage. I am quessing its ban compliant, mabye i didnt look well enough at the "muzzle break".

Because of the demand for post-ban AR's, AK's and M1A's that looked more like the originals, a lot of companies intentionally designed muzzle-breaks that look very much like the original flash supressors.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom