• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mailing my AR15 from Louisiana to Mass

Can someone tell me if it is legal for me to mail my own AR15 to my house in MA? I want to mail it in parts from my parents house in LA through UPS. I do have my Concealed carry license in MA. I bought the gun down in Louisiana in 2006. I do remember seeing the year 1969 a while back on one of the parts when I took it apart and put back together. Thanks.

Can someone tell me if it is legal for me to mail my own AR15 to my house in MA? I want to mail it in parts from my parents house in LA through UPS. I do have my Concealed carry license in MA. I bought the gun down in Louisiana in 2006. I do remember seeing the year 1969 a while back on one of the parts when I took it apart and put back together. Thanks.
Mailing it "in parts" is no different than mailing the complete rifle, because one of those parts is the "firearm part" (on an AR15, that's the lower receiver).

I'm pretty sure this is actually legal. Assuming there isn't an issue with the Massachusetts AWB stuff. Standby for a cite
ETA
atf cite
"A person may ship a firearm to him or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–state resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or take possession of the firearm."

If you are driving home check the FOPA shit. If you are flying, check the airline regs. If you are not coming home, do nothing. My guess is that you want to send it for someone else to use or sell or buy it. Jack.

Last edited:
Is the worry that you might get pinched with a perfectly legal rifle under FOPA as you're traversing thru NY state?

If you own the damn thing you can just bring it home with you, why the hell would you mail it?
Im not planning on driving from Louisiana to Mass anytime soon. Plan was to mail it from my parents in Louisiana while visiting to my house in Mass.

If you ship it to yourself make darn sure your ltc is valid and the gun is at least mass compliant or legit preban. You are inviting scrutiny if the postal inspector sees what you're shipping. Plus no 30 round new mags.
I believe this gun with one of the parts dated 1969 was definitely manufactured before 1994 which is the preban date for MA laws regarding the AR 15. Now I have to figure out what is considered a legal 30 round mag. Thank you all for the help.

I would mail from Louisiana and fly back to MA
You can check it and fly with it. (just follow the rules)
Leaving will be fine and legal.
Landing in Boston though.... good luck getting someone that knows the laws
Might fly into NH

(not an attorney, do not call me to bail you out)

You can check it and fly with it. (just follow the rules)
Leaving will be fine and legal.
Landing in Boston though.... good luck getting someone that knows the laws
Might fly into NH

(not an attorney, do not call me to bail you out)
If he's licensed in MA, there's zero reason to not fly. They're not checking LTCs at Logan.

I believe this gun with one of the parts dated 1969 was definitely manufactured before 1994 which is the preban date for MA laws regarding the AR 15. Now I have to figure out what is considered a legal 30 round mag. Thank you all for the help.

Mags are the same magic date too.

I would mail from Louisiana and fly back to MA
just put it on the plane as checked baggage like a normal person would. Shipping guns to yourself sucks. USPS might allow it with a rifle, UPS and fedex probably not unless you hiding info from them lol….

just put it on the plane as checked baggage like a normal person would. Shipping guns to yourself sucks. USPS might allow it with a rifle, UPS and fedex probably not unless you hiding info from them lol….
I’d love to do that if it were that easy. I just have a feeling they wouldn’t be happy finding that at Logan airport. Then I’d have to prove the gun is pre 1994. I have no paperwork on this gun. Putting it in a couple of boxes in parts seems like way less hassle.

I’d love to do that if it were that easy. I just have a feeling they wouldn’t be happy finding that at Logan airport. Then I’d have to prove the gun is pre 1994. I have no paperwork on this gun. Putting it in a couple of boxes in parts seems like way less hassle.
Nobody cares about any of that shit at logan as long as you follow the airline/tsa regs. I kid you not. This isn't NYC.

OP: i have picked up and dropped off unwashed people at Logan with guns. Nobody ever reported getting rustled. Particularly not inbound. You pick your shit up at the carousel and go home. Or in rare cases you go to your airline baggage office/oversize. And since inbound baggage is slow as ass at Logan nobody will be stealing your gun. You could get off the plane take a big dump, wipe, wash your hands and still have a couple of minutes to get to the Carousel before it starts up..... 🤣

Why would you have to prove anything at Logan?

They don't search your baggage when you arrive, you know.

If you're really worried about baggage claim at BOS, then fly into MHT, PWM, or BTV.

I like Southwest, which makes it handy to fly from MHT to DAL; DAL is over 200 miles from my family, but it's an easy flight and easy drive, compared to the hassle of BOS to LIT.

Put the lower in your checked bag. Declare it at the ticket counter and put the little tag on its case.

Ship yourself the upper.

No worries about MA compliance, preban, preMaura, precrime, shipping a firearm, blah blah blah. Plus the lower takes less space in the suitcase, just have to find a container you can lock it in 'cause it's still considered a "firearm" as far as the feds are concerned even though it doesn't have an upper.

Back
Top Bottom