• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mailing my AR15 from Louisiana to Mass

I love the FUD responses.

It is lawful to ship a gun to yourself. Period. For example if you are going hunting in Alaska, you can ship to yourself at your hotel. Under federal law this is all legal and fine.

The issue you run into is that UPS and FedEx have caved to Biden and the anti gunners. UPS and FedEx will no longer accept firearm shipments from non licensees (federal license, FFL).

So you are limited to what USPS permits. USPS permits the unwashed to ship long guns. You may ship to yourself. 432 Mailability | Postal Explorer You may not ship lowers, handguns or other firearms besides rifles and shotguns unless you are a FFL.

It is completely routine to ship guns through USPS. I do it every week. It is a total snooze.

It is lawful to ship a gun to yourself. Period. For example if you are going hunting in Alaska, you can ship to yourself at your hotel. Under federal law this is all legal and fine.

The issue you run into is that UPS and FedEx have caved to Biden and the anti gunners. UPS and FedEx will no longer accept firearm shipments from non licensees (federal license, FFL).

So you are limited to what USPS permits. USPS permits the unwashed to ship long guns. You may ship to yourself. 432 Mailability | Postal Explorer You may not ship lowers, handguns or other firearms besides rifles and shotguns unless you are a FFL.

It is completely routine to ship guns through USPS. I do it every week. It is a total snooze.
So in summary, USPS will ship a handgun from FFL, same as UPS and FedEx? Do all 3 shippers require recipient to also be FFL for handgun? Also is this required to be considered as a transfer?

It is completely legal to simply check a firearm and fly with it. Hell, I've even flown from Boston to Toronto and back with my Glock in the past. You can't do that anymore but you certainly can legally fly with a firearm domestically. Just follow the airlines regulations which can be found on their website. You need to declare it when you check-in and fill out the "UNLOADED FIREARM" tag which goes INSIDE the locked case with the firearm. I have had to educate check-in agents as to the process because they don't deal with it everyday. The counter girl in Toronto for example was clueless and her eyes got as big as saucers when I quietly told her "I have an onloaded firearm to declare." She wasn't sure what to do so I explained that she needed to get me one of the orange tags. She went and spoke to a supervisor and returned with the tag which I placed inside the gun case, locked it up and then placed it inside my checked luggage.
She conferred with the supervisor again and then came back and sheepishly told me "I need to inspect the gun to insure that it is unloaded." OK, I took the case out, unlocked it, placed it on the counter facing her and raised the lid so that no one behind me could see it. I then said "Now, would you know how to tell if it is unloaded?" she admitted that she did not, so I explained that the cable lock that was running through the ejection port and barrel was where ammo would be if it were present. She seemed relieved and continued to process my check-in while I re-locked the case and before I could replace it inside my locked luggage she asked me "Now will you be checking it or carrying it on?" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So it’s definitely a no go to ship an AR-15 through UPS and Fedex. Spoke with reps at both companies. Also can’t ship through gunshop dealers. Informed them it’s MA compliant pre 1994 and was a hard no. Someone in here said ok through USPS??? I highly doubt that if the gun dealers won’t take care of it.

IPSC_DRL, I would just be able to put this in a checked suitcase in parts with an orange tag?

Can you tell me what gun dealers are allowing this? I spoke with Outback arms telling me they won’t accept an AR-15 pre 1994

If you ship it to yourself make darn sure your ltc is valid and the gun is at least mass compliant or legit preban. You are inviting scrutiny if the postal inspector sees what you're shipping. Plus no 30 round new mags.
The "Mailing it to yourself via UPS" is an oxymoron.

Rather than deal with the US Mail regulations and limitations, easier to use UPS or Fedex. You can generally ship to yourself as long as you are legal on both ends and, unlike USPS. there is no handgun exclusion.

Rather than deal with the US Mail regulations and limitations, easier to use UPS or Fedex. You can generally ship to yourself as long as you are legal on both ends and, unlike USPS. there is no handgun exclusion.
See my previous post, already spoke with both UPS and Fedex agents stating they will not accept an AR-15 in MA

See my previous post, already spoke with both UPS and Fedex agents stating they will not accept an AR-15 in
Why would a dealer be involved if you are shipping to yourself?
Because UPS and Fedex are not allowing me to ship to myself and USPS won’t allow unless I have an FFL. I do have a CCL in MA but I’m not an FFL dealer. This was my last resort and one dealer in MA says no to it.

Neither UPS nor Fedex allow it.

It's legal; it's just not possiblepermissible. <--edited

"Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products."

"Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx."

Last edited:
See my previous post, already spoke with both UPS and Fedex agents stating they will not accept an AR-15 in MA
It’s not illegal to ship via UPS or FedEx but it is against their policy. So if it’s lost or stolen I don’t know what happens.

I know non-dealers who still ship guns via UPS/FedEx. They just box it up slap a label on it (with no gun references on the label) and drop it off with the carrier via overnight or 2-day air. They don’t announce to everyone within the ship center that they’re shipping a gun either 😂

Edit: you are required by law to declare you’re shipping a firearm.

I am not advising you to violate UPS/FedEx policy.

Last edited:
Only if it is legal in MA and he has an LTC.
True. Only way up is driving. Prob won’t happen. Family with 3 little ones makes it hard for time. Wish I had done better research before moving here 10 yrs ago and would have just brought it then. Just wanted to be a good law abiding citizen and look where that gets me.

Incorrect. You are thinking about it in terms of MA law in which case you are correct. Shipping is about Federal law. Federally the frame is still a firearm.

True. Only way up is driving. Prob won’t happen. Family with 3 little ones makes it hard for time. Wish I had done better research before moving here 10 yrs ago and would have just brought it then. Just wanted to be a good law abiding citizen and look where that gets me.

If you have an LTC, and it doesn’t violate the Mass AWB buy a locking case and take it on the plane with you. Flying with guns isn’t hard. Just follow the FAA and airlines guidelines. Thousands do it everyday.

Remember that Boston has its own special AWB.

Bob

If you have an LTC, and it doesn’t violate the Mass AWB buy a locking case and take it on the plane with you. Flying with guns isn’t hard. Just follow the FAA and airlines guidelines. Thousands do it everyday.

Remember that Boston has its own special AWB.

Bob
Another option that takes less baggage space: pull the upper, the buffer tube and buffer and ship those parts to yourself (unregulated). Put the lower in a small locked case and declare it in a checked bag. Upon arrival, reassemble.

Back
Top Bottom