Ar15 stripped upper, dust cover but no fwd assist

headednorth

NES Member
Looking for an upper with a dust cover but no forward assist. See slick sides with neither and of course normal uppers with both. Do they exist? I could live without a fa but kind of like the idea of a dust cover. Shooting for a light, no frills upper and cant decide which option to go with if the no fa/with dust cover is not available. Just trying to shave off ounces where I can and keep it simple.

I've never seen what you are looking for and I've been around and owned ARs for fifty years.
Neither have I, tbh. My Google skills leave a lot to be desired, so I figured Id throw it out there in case Im missing something.

Looking for an upper with a dust cover but no forward assist. See slick sides with neither and of course normal uppers with both. Do they exist? I could live without a fa but kind of like the idea of a dust cover. Shooting for a light, no frills upper and cant decide which option to go with if the no fa/with dust cover is not available. Just trying to shave off ounces where I can and keep it simple.
AM-15 Sport Upper Receiver – No Forward Assist, No Dust Cover – Anderson Manufacturing

AR-15 Stripped Upper Receiver – No Forward Assist, No Dust Cover - F5 Manufacturing

Geez, I looked at Aero. Im retarded, lol. Gonna have to use "looking at a phone with 48 year old eyes" as an excuse. Not in stock but at least I know they exist. Thanks.

I do it all the time - spend so much time looking for something that when it is right in front of my face, I miss it.

I only used that link to show you that the upper exists, but I wouldn't order from there. Currently in stock and cheaper here:

Arm Or Ally for $58.93: AR15 Stripped Upper Receiver, No Forward Assist - Aero Precision - Arm or Ally
Primary for $67.99: Aero Precision Stripped AR-15 Upper Receiver - Slick Side - Black APAR610401

Not sure what's cheaper for you after taxes and shipping.

I think there's a misunderstanding. He was asking for uppers with no forward assist, but with a dust cover. Both of those are slick sides without either.

Learned something today......I still want a forward assist on all my ARs.:D

Pretty great platform if you can play with them for 50 years and still learn new things.

We had an argument at work awhile back about this. A know it all kept telling us no one used them. So I asked an Iraqi combat vet we worked with. He said they used it all the time in combat. That's good enough for me.

We had an argument at work awhile back about this. A know it all kept telling us no one used them. So I asked an Iraqi combat vet we worked with. He said they used it all the time in combat. That's good enough for me.
Im in no position to argue with your co-worker, but it seems that if the rifle isnt going into battery, forcing it would potentially make it even worse. You'd think the right thing to do would be to yank the charging handle and start over rather than mashing everything together and running the risk of it being locked up, wont fire and now you cant move the bolt.

Im in no position to argue with your co-worker, but it seems that if the rifle isnt going into battery, forcing it would potentially make it even worse. You'd think the right thing to do would be to yank the charging handle and start over rather than mashing everything together and running the risk of it being locked up, wont fire and now you cant move the bolt.

The forward assist is part of the SPORTS drill to clear a FTF. It's a design bandaid, really, to address not having any other way to make sure the bolt goes into battery.

I'm not sure if it's necessary anymore, but better to have it and not need it.....

I think there's a misunderstanding. He was asking for uppers with no forward assist, but with a dust cover. Both of those are slick sides without either.

Pretty great platform if you can play with them for 50 years and still learn new things.

Yes, the AR/M16 type rifle has evolved tremendously over the years. Many different calibers from .22 to 50bmg, all types of grips, guards, sights, gas systems, stocks, safeties, buffers, triggers, bolt carriers, lights and mounts, etc.
Someone is always coming up with a new features.

I've never been in combat so I'm not going to argue with him. If he says they use it that's good enough for me. Have you been in combat?

I've never been in combat so I'm not going to argue with him. If he says they use it that's good enough for me. Have you been in combat?
Nope. Hence the "Im in no position to argue" part of my post. Ive spent pretty much all my life working with my hands and in my experience, pounding something into place when it doesnt want to be there often has the potential to make things worse instead of better.

Nope. Hence the "Im in no position to argue" part of my post. Ive spent pretty much all my life working with my hands and in my experience, pounding something into place when it doesnt want to be there often has the potential to make things worse instead of better.

It's generally a big help in specific environments where dirt or sand is absolutely going to get into the chamber. Just a couple grains of sand on the bolt are going to cause the carrier to not go into battery. If you don't have a reciprocating charging handle to whack on to get the f***ing thing into battery, then having a FA is your next best option.

But like I said, not sure it's really needed in the civilian world. Maybe on your SHTF gun if it's an AR, but I'm certain I never used the FA on any of my uppers. I did use it once on an M16A4 in ROTC when I had a magazine malfunction, but only because that's what they told us to do.

Slap (the bottom of the mag to seat it)
Pull (the charging handle back)
Observe (the chamber for obstructions)
Release (the charging handle to allow the bolt carrier to travel forward)
Tap (the forward assist to ensure the rifle is in battery)
Squeeze (the trigger)

It was kind of stupid for the particular malfunction I had--shitty magazine feed lips let a handful of rounds pop out of the ejection port when I slammed it home on an open bolt--but that's pretty much how anything government related goes.

This is a key point , no one uses them ? Or are military trained to use them.
My dads AR days where brief USAF, ARMY, Army Res.
He told me he was trained to give it a little bump just to be sure bolt was closed. In a malfunction he was taught to to clear the malfunction. If time and situation allows clear the jam.

For range and target use I am not going to jam a round deeper into a "malfunction" by using the FA.

Theres a few options out there. Just a heads up the "billet" versions tend to be pretty heavy.
They do make FA delete plugs also if this helps.

Schuster Forward Assist Plug Delrin AR-15 - MPN: SN035

Only $280!?? Wow!
Very impressive So cheap for a whole upper.

Yeah I'm pretty impressed with it too. Despite the heavy barrel profile its quite light. And accuracy was very good too, just shooting it with a red dot and nothing special ammo at 50yds was grouping nicely.

How often have you used the ones you've got? I'm in the same boat yet have never used it nor would I. Its like man-nipples.

Many dusty desert environments in NH? ;)

Again - I get it. I'd never use it. Pull is better than push. Just to be safe. But I'd feel weird without it. My Carbon15 obviously doesn't have one.

Conversely, you could argue that since Stoner did not want the forward assist but was compelled to add it, not having one is "good enough for me."

How often have you used the ones you've got? I'm in the same boat yet have never used it nor would I. Its like man-nipples.

Many dusty desert environments in NH? ;)

Again - I get it. I'd never use it. Pull is better than push. Just to be safe. But I'd feel weird without it. My Carbon15 obviously doesn't have one.

Every AR I own except for one has a forward assist and I do use them, not often but often enough to know that I want it there.
I've always had my doubts about the reliability of a multi, small locking lug design. I have far more confidence in the two lug AK type bolt.

Back
Top Bottom