• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15 extractor upgrade

Just wondering what the concensus is on installing one of these o-rings around the extractor spring of an AR-15. It is supposed to improve extraction.Does anyone use one? Is there any reliability improvement or is this a solution looking for a problem? Thanks

My understanding is the spring is more important--you want the five coil spring. If you have that and it works fine then you're probably okay. But if you want better than "okay", it's cheap to upgrade using the three part kit: spring, insert, o-ring.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm extractor spring 3pack.htm

Larue and a few others have them too

EDIT: If you look at the Larue site they say the insert and o-ring is optional. I've been meaning to buy a spare set myself.

Last edited:
One of my AR's was having an extraction issue. Every second or third would stovepipe on me. I ordered the kit above and it solved all my problems. Seeing that my problem was fixed with the "upgrade", I would do it just for preventive maintenance.

It looks like only you or the bolt/extractor manufacturer can tell for sure if you need it. Spike's bolts come with o-ring installed, BCM packs them separately and tells that you'll probably never need them. Both were 100% reliable the way they came from the factory. I don't have a first hand experience with other brands.

My understanding is the spring is more important--you want the five coil spring. If you have that and it works fine then you're probably okay. But if you want better than "okay", it's cheap to upgrade using the three part kit: spring, insert, o-ring.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm extractor spring 3pack.htm

Larue and a few others have them too

EDIT: If you look at the Larue site they say the insert and o-ring is optional. I've been meaning to buy a spare set myself.
The BCM kit rules, is inexpensive, and is easy to install. I've upgraded the ARs with this and the AR that was giving me ejection problems is now well behaved. [wink]

The BCM kit rules, is inexpensive, and is easy to install. I've upgraded the ARs with this and the AR that was giving me ejection problems is now well behaved. [wink]

Yep, they work well, no reason not to.

I have heard, but can not confirm, that there was a run of extractor springs that came from China that were not heat treated properly and will go soft very quickly. I have seen 2 rifles go from running 100% with strong extractor tension to failure to extract in 60 rounds, at which point the extractor was fairly easy to move with your finger. It was quickly resolved by switching out to the BCM kit

Back
Top Bottom