• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ar Uppers

BONZCNC

NES Member
I finally decided to buy a complete upper for my AR lower. With the lower being a post ban, what are my restrictions for an upper? (flash hider etc..)

Please read the info in the Gun Laws forum. It's been covered a dozen times already.

It must meet the old Fed Ban requirements!

Well

Well, with a post ban lower, you can't have a flash hider, bayonet lug, or telescoping stock (unless you pin it so it cannot be moved). Nice thing is, most manufacturers are aware of this even after sunset of ban, and can easily accommodate you. For instance, Bushmaster online organizes their uppers into pre-ban and post-ban configurations.

If you want to throw a muzzle brake on your post-ban, Bushmaster will install one for just the cost of the part and return shipping. To comply with the law, your brake will be pinned on.

I just had them install an AK-style brake on my post-ban Colt I'm very pleased.

Well, you can buy post-ban ones that have fake flashhiders, or no flashhider and full A1/A2 stocks. They can have muzzle breaks that are pinned, as someone above said. Buuuuuut, you can buy uppers that are pre-ban. It is up to you to stay legal at that point, but isn't that always how it works? I mean, you *could* buy a post-ban and put a telescoping stock on it, but once again, you'd be breaking the law. Basically, you can get any of the rifles that Bushmaster sells in a post-ban configuration, with A1/A2 stock, and no flashhider/bayo lug. You can get a threaded barrel, but it is up to you to have your fake flashhider or muzzle break properly pinned and welded on.

Also, if you want any of the strange calibers (such as RRA), you must keep in mind, while you can get a post-ban rifle with such a caliber, it may be very difficult or impossible to get magazines for them. For instance, if I want a RRA in .458 SOCOM or 6.8 SPC, I can get an upper-receiver no problem, but I can't get any magazines due to capacity issues.

Putting together my first AR build as well. Bought a Bushy lower from Carl at FS and finally got around to ordering this upper today with the rails.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=405523

Pete can order post ban config (pinned comp and no bayo lug) for us folks in Mass, ships direct from factory and should have by end of week. I'll report back once I get it in my hands and take pics.

Now all I'm looking for next is an ARFX-E stock... any suggestions where to order at good price?

Back
Top Bottom