• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Upper & MA Compliance

I endeavor to build my own AR from parts. I'm a confused AR newbie with a question about MA compliance.

Is it true that I could order say an upper from LMT that has the evil features such as bayo lug and flash suppressor and have it shipped to my MA residence since the upper is not considered 'the gun'? This would be perfectly legal, yes?

Or can you not get an upper shipped to MA with those features?

However, once I mate that with a lower the 'gun' is now non MA compliant and I cannot register it as I am supposed to do, correct? Or since you have to register the lower when bought / sent to an FFL, you do not need to do anything once you mate upper and lower...?

If this is true there must be many non MA compliant guns in peoples safes at home...

Is it true that I could order say an upper from LMT that has the evil features such as bayo lug and flash suppressor and have it shipped to my MA residence since the upper is not considered 'the gun'? This would be perfectly legal, yes?

Yes. If you do not have a pre-ban lower in your house, I suppose that if you somehow came to the attention of the local gendarmes, you might possibly get charged with violating the AWB through constructive possession.

Or can you not get an upper shipped to MA with those features?

You can buy an upper with or without those features and have either shipped to MA.

However, once I mate that with a lower the 'gun' is now non MA compliant and I cannot register it as I am supposed to do, correct?

If you mate an upper in pre-ban configuration with a post-ban lower in MA, then you have just committed a felony. Don't do it.

If you want an AR in pre-ban configuration, then spend the money for a pre-ban gun. If you have a post-ban lower, then order your upper in post-ban configuration. You can still kill zombies without a flash-suppressor and bayonet lug.

You can order any AR upper you want with any features you want. Attach it to the post-ban (new) lower without modifying it to be in compliance and you're potentially screwed. If for example, you buy an LMT upper with a vortex flash suppressor and a bayonet lug, you must have the bayo lug milled to no longer accept a bayonet and the vortex would have to go. All this is moot if you find a pre-ban lower - especially one that at one time was a complete rifle - then build to suit - evil features can stay. Good rule of thumb:

Post- ban or new lower = no evil features: no bayo lug, no flash suppressor, permanently attached muzzle brake.

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted it spelled out crystal clear as you just did.

One thing, though, you said if I didn't have a pre-ban lower in the house that still might be an unlawful thing to possess the pre-ban upper? That's a problem. I was originally thinking of trying to acquire both simultaneously, but if the upper shows up before I find a pre-ban lower...

Even safely in my own home I'd feel uncomfortable having something that may get me in trouble...

So I guess if I wanted to do a pre-ban build, my best bet, would be to find and possess the pre-ban lower in hand before I even order the upper.

*sigh* I can't find a pre-ban lower, that's why I was itching to buy the upper. Ya know, just to get the ball rolling. Any suggestions where a pre-ban upper can be bought?

As far as building a post-ban, well, I have the M&P15 and I didn't really want to buy a used 15 year old pre-ban AR...

One thing, though, you said if I didn't have a pre-ban lower in the house that still might be an unlawful thing to possess the pre-ban upper?

IANAL. It may be possible. In the past, the ATF has charged people with possession of a machine gun if they had a semi-auto rifle and the required full-auto parts, even though they weren't put together. I could see the same logic applied to the MA AWB, but I certainly can't cite a case.

That's a problem. I was originally thinking of trying to acquire both simultaneously, but if the upper shows up before I find a pre-ban lower...

You have no need for the pre-ban upper until you find a pre-ban lower.

So I guess if I wanted to do a pre-ban build, my best bet, would be to find and possess the pre-ban lower in hand before I even order the upper.

That is what I would do.

*sigh* I can't find a pre-ban lower, that's why I was itching to buy the upper. Ya know, just to get the ball rolling.

Why? You can't do anything with it and you'll just be tempting yourself to put it on your post-ban lower, thus committing a felony.

Why? You can't do anything with it...

But I could do something with it...look and admire a LMT upper in my safe!!

But I do have my first gun purchase still, a Colt A2 H-BAR. But that I bought in early 1990's used. Just wanted something pre-ban new, a MA residents daydream.

But, ya, true. It would be a waste of money for something just sitting there, potentially never being matched up.

Patience is a virtue...I'm just kickin' myself for not getting into ARs earlier.

But I could do something with it...look and admire a LMT upper in my safe!!

But I do have my first gun purchase still, a Colt A2 H-BAR. But that I bought in early 1990's used. Just wanted something pre-ban new, a MA residents daydream.

But, ya, true. It would be a waste of money for something just sitting there, potentially never being matched up.

Patience is a virtue...I'm just kickin' myself for not getting into ARs earlier.

When in the 1990's did you buy the Colt, more importantly when was it Mfg'd. You MAY have a pre-ban and don't even realize it.

As far as shooting a 15 yr old gun, why? I bring my close to 100 yr old 1911 to the range and shoot her. Hell, she out shoots guns less than 1 yr old.

Unfortunately, that's pretty hard to do in MA, unless you have really deep pockets and buy an unfired, pre-ban Colt.

There are also some decent LNIB ones out there. I picked up a pre-ban Colt Sporter Lightweight a last year that was in mint condition. Probably sat in someones safe for years.

Along the lines of this thread - does anybody know any decent gunsmiths or shops that could convert an LMT upper ( or any other upper) to a MA acceptable configuration?

I have also been thinking of ordering an LMT upper - and as far as I can tell they ship them all with flash hiders. So I would have to find somebody to do the swap over to the muzzle break.

If you have a drill press and know a friend with a welder you can possibly do this yourself. Look for the thread on perm attaching a brake on ar15.com forums. Not hard if you have the tools. Pinning and welding is not rocket science. Filing off the lug can be done easily or some have suggested filling the "grooves" on a lug with a bead of weld, dress it with a file and then finish it. As long as a bayo doesnt fit you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom