AR upgrade or M1A dilemma

SKS Ray

NES Member
This is one of those types of topics that can rage on and on like the AK vs AR ones but its something I gotta decide.

I have a Rock River Arms standard A2 rifle. Its fun to shoot and has good accuracy but its not exactly what I want. Something about it just doesn't turn me on.
I've thought about getting a flat top upper, quality scope, and bi pod to make a nice target rifle, but then I'm also thinking about a Springfield Armory M1A. I love my Garand and enjoy the function and look more than the AR type rifles, thats why I'm thinking more about selling off the AR and getting an M1A.

If I decide to upgrade the AR to what I want I figure I'm looking at about $900, maybe a little more. I can probably sell my A2 upper for $450 at least because its already a Mass compliant version and has very low round count. If I went that route it'd make a big dent in the price of upgrading.
But if I sell the whole rifle as is now in a standard A2 config I can probably get $700 for it which would leave me a grand short of an M1A. Thats where the credit card would come in and that one big purchase for the year is wiped out in a few seconds.[rolleyes]

I know some of you are thinking dump the AR and go with an M1A and others are gonna say upgrade what I have.
Still I have to rant here because this isn't the kind of thing I can turn to my wife with the what should I do thought because it involves spending a decent amount of cash.[hmmm]

Sorry. My keyboard went nuts....

What are you gonna use to fend off the Zombies when they attack? Good luck with those bolt action guns[shocked].

I'd keep the AR, and think about saving for the M1A. I love both my AR & M1A, but if I needed a rifle for 0 to 300yrd work, it'd be the AR.

Last edited:
Your ammo expenses will increase right off the bat going from .223 to .308. Good milsurp .308 is $500+ per case these days and I don't think it's going to get cheaper in the future. If you reload, you can curb the cost some but even components are getting expensive and harder to come by now.

My answer will be obvious - go M1A. You can always build another AR, or heck even win one...[wink] The M1A is a stellar rifle and the cost of ammo is fluctuating. There are ammo buys out there, like the ones available at the NES shoots - it's great stuff.

I have had both, I got rid of the m1a And the A2. Don't really miss either, but I wish I kept the M1a for the boy. Ar's are a dime a dozen get what you want.

Keep the AR. Sell off about a dozen Mosins to raise the money.

Was that a bad thing to say?

You'll regret selling the ar. save your pennies, sell a couple of SKS's, and get the M1A.

Sell some SKS's?!? Bite your tongue man!
I'd choose them over an AR or M1 type anyday but thats just me.[smile]

I figured the replies would vary. I really have no desire for an FAL type just yet and have seen them for $700 average if I ever wind up wanting one so I'm in no hurry.

I want an accurate semi auto that I can bench and shoot prone with optics. I'm just leaning towards the style of the M1A because I like it from shooting my Garand and I know .308 hits much harder than .223.

I guess it will depend on if I see something next weekend at Marlboro. Having an extra $500 will make a big difference in buying an M1A.

IMO, Ditch the AR and go with the M1A. As WW said AR's are a dime a dozen. The M1A is going to cost more to shoot, but I think the fun factor is still there. This is my biased opinion. I am so done with AR's. I hope to never have to own one again.

I have this same dilemma... I'm planning on getting the flat top ar upper now, then an M1A... My rationale: If Billary gets into office and takes away all the "Assault Weapons" I'll have my AR the way I want it and be good to go... Then I can (Probably) pick up an M1A at my leisure... I hope. I want both rifles real bad... but right now the AR has priority for the reasons mentioned. Just my .02

ETA: Typo - why so against the ar platform? Not trying to start a debate... just curious.

I want an accurate semi auto that I can bench and shoot prone with optics.....

.308 hits much harder than .223.

The M-14s are terrible at shooting from a bench or with optics. The mounts suck and the comb is not high enough. There is a good reason the Army ditched the M-21.

I'm not sure what the .308 hitting harder has to do with anything if you are bench or prone shooting. Figure out what you want to do with the rifle before you do anything.

B

These questions can be hard to answer, without injecting one's own personal preferences, but I'll try.

Based on the types of long guns I've seen you post, I have to say you seem inclined towards older wood and steel models in calibers of the .30 range. The AR seems inconsistent with that. Your question itself leads to me to believe that you have no great love for the AR.

Regardless of whether you plan to use it for target only (as will be the case with 99.9% of us, no matter what sort of SHTF scenario we may plan for), and you like the concept of a larger harder hitting round, go for it.

If you don't really love the AR, sell it and save for the M1A.

Chris

I don't have a dog in this race because I'm not really a rifle guy (for good reason).

With that said, knowing what you like to shoot, I'd sell the AR and get the M1A. If you have some extra cash, also pick up a stripped AR lower for future use (and as a hedge against any possible future ban).

Ray I don't know you all that well but it would seem to me that the M1A is more your style. I say sell the AR get the M1A and if you end up wanting another AR...cross that bridge when it comes.[grin]

I just traveled the same road you are starting down....
I started saving for another AR (gas piston) and once I got to $1K I got the itch to buy something FAST! (did I mention I'm impulsive?)
Through some encouragement from a few people here I saved for a few more weeks and came home with an M1A.
I shot it yesterday and could not be happier! I am so glad I held out and made that purchase. I still have a Bushmaster I can tinker with and "upgrade" in the future (gas piston upper) but I also now the have the M1A I have been drooling over for years. The one down side is that I had to part with my Saiga 12. I had to sell something to close the $$ balance.
Good luck on your decision... if you get one you will not regret it. PM me if you want more info... I did an ass load of homework (with others help of course)

What the heck... it's only $.02 and YMMV!

You are pretty much a wood and steel kind of person so the M-1 and the M1A will be pretty much what you will gravitate toward. Granted, M1A is a good choice but again, as with most things, what is the end purpose? You can set up an M1A with scopes, cheek piece, and a bipod to shoot bench or prone as easy as an AR. Probelm now is the ammo for .308 - it's not cheap. In order to be good or keep up a level of " skill " with an M1A, you need to expend ammo. Are you willing to spend the money to do this?

I can float between my wood rifles and my plastic fantastics without too much probelms on the changeover. I'm comfortable with both and I don't see too many differences that I'd take one or the other in any given situation. My go to rifle is my SAR-48 ( FAL ) but if the only thing I could get a hold of or throw in the car was the M-1, that would be okay with me.

My feeling is that you're not the fan of the AR that some of the people are here and that is okay. One of the posts ( Jim's and another ) lists saving at least the lower and get rid of the rest. That not a bad idea. Put your money into the M1A and run with it.

Joe R.

I have two ARs and one M1A. If I had to choose just one, I would keep the M1A over the ARs. While my RRA National Match and my JT Distributing M4 are great rifles, the M1A is hands down more reliable. I went to an AR training class with my M4 and during the process of shooting a couple hundred rapid rounds, just about everyone in the class had to reapply lub to the bolt area or it would start to jam up.

On the other hand, during the pumkin shoot two years ago, I dumped mag after mag of 308 through my M1A without a hiccup. Overall 200 rounds or so. I didn't have to reapply lub or worry about the cleanup. The M1A is a breeze to clean, while the M4 took forever to clean after the training class.

I don't buy into the whole ammo cost argument as 223 and 308 are both expensive and probably will not be coming down in price anytime soon.

I'd just like to say that Milsurp busting out the AR at the Pumpkin shoot (or was it the Turkey Shoot?) is what convinced me to build my own.

I've thought of the ammo issue as far as quality, price, etc. I already have a Saiga in .308 set up in Dragunov style that definitely prefers high end ammo for accuarcy. Its not something I blast away with unless its at an NES event like the car shoot so I don't mind spending the extra money on good ammo because when I shoot it I'm usually concentrating on grouping and taking my time.

Sell some SKS's?!? Bite your tongue man!
I'd choose them over an AR or M1 type anyday but thats just me.[smile]

I figured the replies would vary. I really have no desire for an FAL type just yet and have seen them for $700 average if I ever wind up wanting one so I'm in no hurry.

I want an accurate semi auto that I can bench and shoot prone with optics. I'm just leaning towards the style of the M1A because I like it from shooting my Garand and I know .308 hits much harder than .223.

I guess it will depend on if I see something next weekend at Marlboro. Having an extra $500 will make a big difference in buying an M1A.

Why don't you get another Garand from CMP and get it converted to shoot .308?

Check out this thread on the CMP forums - some pretty sweet looking Garands - with nice synthetic stocks - and scopes mounted:

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43049

Give me your AR to hang onto while you decide whether or not you miss it. [wink]

All joking aside, I am even considering going back on my never sell anything mantra. As others have stated your taste seems more linked to the M1A/M14 style and as such I say go for it. Sell the AR and get what you really want. If you wind up missing your AR you can always start with a stripped lower and build one that way the cost is spread out over a few purchases, something you can't do with the M1A.

Back
Top Bottom