• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Second round jamming ssue on new build

Resolution

So quick range trip this morning, and ran 100 flawless rounds before I left range.

While I was prepared to swop uppers, lower, bcgs and recoil spring/ buffer non of that was necessary.

My first experiment of the morning was to use same set up, including mag and ammo that was used last trip to recreate the problem. Problem did not reoccur. Five rounds down range without a hiccup.

Used different mags, (PMAG, COLTS, MIL SURP, 5 10 20 30 rounders) and different ammo ( 4 brands 5.56, two brands 223, all factory, and some handholds). Every thing ran fine. slow fire, sustained fire, to 10 round mag dump fast as I could get it out. No problems.

So what was it? I'm believe one of two things, but can't know for sure.

My main belief is it was the BCG. Moving the bolt in the carrier (assembled bolt) and removing the bolt from carrier just took more effort than I had experience with other new BGCs. Same with turning and removing bolt pin. So I hit it with Hoppes #9, scrubbed it good, specifically inside the carrier where bolt rides and bolt pin and its hole and lubed it back up yesterday. After reassembly movement felt more normal ( detectable difference before and after) Using the Hoppes and scrubbing the bcg was the only thing I did different in cleaning lubing process I used before first range trip.

The other item that might have made a difference is just working the action. I probably loaded and ejected 200 snap caps yesterday. Used different mags just looking at how they fed from mag to chamber and out to see if I could see a problem. Then cleaned and lubed her up. Maybe the parts needed to work in?

I don't believe it was the rescrub of chamber and locking lugs. I had done that thoroughly before first range trip, but I did redo it.

So thats it. Much less drama than I expected.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions! Now I have to get ready to head out to camp. Leave tomorrow for some turkey hunting when season opens May 1 in Northern NY.

Last edited:
Take the upper off and hold at a 45 degree angle. The bolt should easily slide forward. Also the hammer could be holding the bolt back.

Wat-Meme-Tumblr-04.jpg

Perhaps you meant bcg? I did take off upper, inserted bcg minimal amount, and tilted downward 45 degrees. Bcg slide in rest of way except for bolt nose lockup. Not sure if it proved anything or not?

Not really.

Just smile, shoot the gun and be happy it all works. Sometimes things fit right from the factory due to stacking tolerances. It is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom