• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Second round jamming ssue on new build

Resolution of Problem in Post 31

The Problem: This new build (details to follow) will consistently jam after the first shot. Empty case from first round ejects clear, second round picked up from mag and goes into chamber almost all the way, but bcg has not locked up or go into battery. Almost there but not quite. Sorry no pictures, but a quick look and you would think it was fine. Forward Assist will not move it forward the last bit. It takes a lot of force to remove the stuck round and get the bcg to the rear. Amount of force required just short of needing to mortar it. Cannot open rifle by removing rear take down pin, assuming BCG not clear of lower It will always go into battery loading the first round from mag, either by working the handle if action closed or releasing bolt if action open. If loading one round in the mag, the rifle will go into battery, and after firing the bcg will lock back on empty mag. If two or more rounds loading into mag, it will always go into battery on first round, and after firing jam on the second round. Relatively new Pmag that functioned fine in another weapon. With dummy rounds or live rounds I can manually cycle through five rounds without issue. Ammo was PMC 5.56 bronze in a lot number of I used in another rifle without problems. I was running upper and bcg wet (break free clp )

The build: The upper is a DTI complete upper, bought from another green member, with a few hundred rounds through it. 16" m4 with target crown. Looks fine. Upper was beautifully cleaned when I received it, but cleaned it myself anyway. It is an AERO lower with Stag Arms lpk that I put together, not my first build but still a relative newbie at EBR builds. BCG is new Aim Surplus NIB . Headspace checked fine with go and no go gauges.

When I function tested it at range, I was there working on Appleseed practice with a .22 ar, and I only had one mag, one type of ammo, and one rifle in 5.56 with me so could not test variables then.

I inspected the lower and did not find any bone headed things I did incorrect on assembly. Upper looked fine, including FA not protruding until pressed. The only thing I am suspect about is the bcg. I had field stripped it, inspected it and lubed it before use. Only thing I noticed is in removing bolt from carrier not only did it not drop out, it took way more force to remove bolt than I had experienced before, almost as if I was creating a vacuum when pulling it out. I did not use solvent to clean bcg prior to lubing it up. Maybe a mistake? will strip and clean and relube before going back to range.

Range Plans: going back Tuesday with multiple new mags, assorted ammo, and another known good AR. Plans are to test and if second round jam still occurs after bcg cleaning do the following

Try different ammo and mag.

Try removing mag after first round loading, and seeing if after discharge does bolt return to battery with no cartridge.

Try another bolt in this rifle (have STAG bcg that has functioned fine for less than 100 rounds in second rifle)

Try the AIM bolt in second rifle

Try this upper on a another lower (with AIM bolt and Stag bolt)

So unless problem has gone away with cleaning bolt, at this point I should know if problem is upper or lower or bcg. (or a bizarre case of stacking tolerances and it only occurs with the initial combination)

I also thought of running through 20 rounds in single shot mode to try to break it in?

Any other thought on what I should look for before going to range or do at the range?

Last edited:
What do the feed ramps look like?
Can you manually eject 1st round and the 2nd goes in fine? Any pics?

I'm unclear from your description of the jam. Is the first round's case stuck in the chamber, or has it ejected and fed the second round into the chamber, but the bolt isn't locking up? Do you know what the chamber is? (5.56, .223, Wylde, some other type?) Pictures of the jam would be helpful!

The only thing I am suspect about is the bcg. I had field stripped it, inspected it and lubed it before use. Only thing I noticed is in removing bolt from carrier not only did it not drop out, it took way more force to remove bolt than I had experienced before, almost as if I was creating a vacuum when pulling it out. I did not use solvent to clean bcg prior to lubing it up. Maybe a mistake? will strip and clean and relube before going back to range.
Nothing wrong there. Gas rings are designed to form a tight seal. The bolt should not fall out under its own weight. That's a quick field test for gas ring wear.

Second round will not go into battery. Almost there but not quite. Forward Assist will not move it forward. It takes a lot of force to remove the stuck round and get the bcg to the rear.
By this description, it sound far more likely to be ammo/chamber related than anything else. From your description, the round is not chambering ("almost there but not quite), and then takes a ton of force to remove ("just short of mortaring"). I don't see how a magazine or BCG could cause that problem.

What were you using for ammo? Steel case by any chance?

Reloads? It almost sounds like reloads with a too-long OAL. The round won't chamber, but gets stuck in the neck.

I'd look at a thorough chamber cleaning and changing ammo to known-good, brass cased stuff.

I'm unclear from your description of the jam. Is the first round's case stuck in the chamber, or has it ejected and fed the second round into the chamber, but the bolt isn't locking up? Do you know what the chamber is? (5.56, .223, Wylde, some other type?) Pictures of the jam would be helpful!

Case from first round has ejected clear, second cartridge has fed into chamber and bcg has gone 97% of the way home but not locking up. I don't have a picture, but if I did it would look like bolt has closed all the way,

Chamber is 5.56 Nato 1 x 9 twist (from info on barrel.)

Upper receiver and barrel both have M4 feed ramps that look normal.

Yes if I manually eject round, following round goes in fine.

Sorry don't have picture

What were you using for ammo? Steel case by any chance?
Reloads? It almost sounds like reloads with a too-long OAL. The round won't chamber, but gets stuck in the neck.I'd look at a thorough chamber cleaning and changing ammo to known-good, brass cased stuff.[/QUOTE

Ammo was factory PMC bronze which is brass cased and has functioned fine in my other AR. The are 55 grain, and 2.247 was max OAL on sample of 10 just checked.

I will give chamber another good cleaning, but since first round feeds fine everytime, not sure about this but will do anyway.

Last edited:
Ran into that on a build.

It ended up being the mag (small section of Magpul mag snapped off - almost unnoticeable, until I figured it out).

Not saying that is def. the issue, just mentioning it.

I had a psa BCG that would not seat the 2nd round also , sent it back and bought the AIM NB and has been perfect

So I should send back AIM NB I have and get a PSA? Just kidding.

Seriously, so it may be a bolt issue. I will post results of range work tomorrow. Just heading down to basement to do a through cleaning of bolt and chamber at lunch time.

This^

If you can roll through rounds with the charging handle, I would look at the buffer and spring first. From there maybe under gassed?

Think I have right one, but will be prepared to swap them out tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Ran into that on a build.

It ended up being the mag (small section of Magpul mag snapped off - almost unnoticeable, until I figured it out).

Not saying that is def. the issue, just mentioning it.

I have my mags numbered so I can tell them apart, and I know which one I was using so will check it out.

Could be the magazine isn't feeding properly and the second round gets slightly bent, what do the stuck rounds look like when you get them out?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes if I manually eject round, following round goes in fine.
so after you get that second round extracted the rifle functions? am I understanding that right....first round chambers and fires, ejects, 2nd round gets picked up, starts to move into the chamber but gets stuck, you manually eject that round, and on the 3rd, everything is fine, rifle is up and running on the 3rd round?

so after you get that second round extracted the rifle functions? am I understanding that right....first round chambers and fires, ejects, 2nd round gets picked up, starts to move into the chamber but gets stuck, you manually eject that round, and on the 3rd, everything is fine, rifle is up and running on the 3rd round?

Yes. Sounds like the BCG is going further to the rear when the charging handle is used and is therefore providing a higher force to chamber the first round. So the second round problem is some combination of undergassing and the stiff bolt. Buffer spring is sufficient when rifle is manually charged. The OP's problem could be solved with either more gas or a looser bolt. If I had to guess just one cause I'd say either the bolt carrier or bolt are dimensionally out of spec due to NiB thickness causing a higher drag on the gas rings and/or the cam.

Last edited:
Yes. Sounds like the BCG is going further to the rear when the charging handle is used and is therefore providing a higher force to chamber the first round. So the second round problem is some combination of undergassing and the stiff bolt. Buffer spring is sufficient when rifle is manually charged. The OP's problem could be solved with either more gas or a looser bolt. If I had to guess just one cause I'd say either the bolt carrier or bolt are dimensionally out of spec due to NiB thickness causing a higher drag on the gas rings.

Valid points, but it doesn't really explain why the FA won't chamber the round, or why he has to mortar it to extract the unfired round. That's what I'm stuck on.

Valid points, but it doesn't really explain why the FA won't chamber the round, or why he has to mortar it to extract the unfired round. That's what I'm stuck on.

I agree. That sounds like bad ammo but then the third round (manually) chambers fine. I'm guessing the bolt is so tight the camming action as the bolt closes is really stiff making it impossible to use the FA and difficult to extract the unfired round. Something is not right with the bolt or bolt carrier.

OP, maybe clean and grease the bolt and cam if you haven't already done so and try again.

Last edited:
Does every other round have an issue? Say the 2,4,6,8 etc.? Feed ramp is where I would be looking.

Sorry been cleaning and inspecting and lubing rifle and off line.

No, I never get pass second round. When second round jams, I remove mag, manually remove stuck round. The stuck round looks normal. Add it back to mag, insert mag, release bolt, and round chambers. Fire that round, and following round then jams.

- - - Updated - - -

Does every other round have an issue? Say the 2,4,6,8 etc.? Feed ramp is where I would be looking.

Does not appear to be a left side, right side feed issue. I have tried with even and odd number of rounds in mag, so first round comes from left or right, with same results.

Where are you located

Near Harvard Sportsmens Club where I will do my range testing tomorrow am (unless my sons wife goes into labor tonight or tomorrow, in which case I may be baby sitting my grand daughter)

Wow, need to edit my profile, thought I had a location and quote going. I am in MA, near 495 and rt 2. Three stop signs between me and HSC.

northny handle is from my camp in way upstate ny, just a few miles from border with Canada. Driving county roads and not interstate near Canadian border late at night with out of state plates is sure way to make friends with border patrol!

Last edited:
Sounds like the bolt is having trouble locking on the lugs after a fired round. I would check it for burs in and around where the locking pin is.

I hope that BCG is not shared between multiple AR rifles....

nope, this is brand new BCG (Aim Surplus NiB purchase couple weeks ago) just to go with this upper. Once I mate them up and check head space, I consider upper / barrel and bcg as a set. Maybe not necessary,but just what I do.

The spare bgc I have (Stag arms) to test with has maybe 20-30 rounds through it

It honestly just sounds tight. Use a little extra oil and rack through a few rounds one at a time to loosen it up a bit. When I first got my new White Oak upper, the fit was very tight and it took some extra effort for the subsequent rounds to seat. Not a big deal and it should go away with wear.

could it be the gas tube or alignment issue with block, gas tube and barrel?

In initial post you were planning range trip to swap uppers and lower and see which "variables" keeps the issue...

We are all speculating until you isolate if issue follows upper or lower....

Good luck with range test....

It honestly just sounds tight. Use a little extra oil and rack through a few rounds one at a time to loosen it up a bit. When I first got my new White Oak upper, the fit was very tight and it took some extra effort for the subsequent rounds to seat. Not a big deal and it should go away with wear.

+1
Lube her up real good and work it back and forth.

Occam's razor: Don't look for complicated answers when a simple explanation is available (and probably right).

Back
Top Bottom