AR Recommendations

I like my sig, it's definatly heavier than an AR though and the fact that we can't build the real "evil" version is a drag (i.e. no side folder).

024.jpg

Hey... that is nice. How does she shoot? What is the effective range with the optics you have installed?

Yeah me too, 6'1" and about 250lbs. Did you have any opinion or thought on the DMR? According to Sig's website it is the only other 556 approved for sale in Ma. With the bi pod and some nice optics the thing looks absolutely awesome. Yeah it's a little bit more pricey but with a few pre-ban mags I think it would fit the bill for most applications. It is 4lbs heavier but I really don't think that is an issue when you consider its intended use.

Fencer, can you please send me the link to that one? The guys at MVGC seem very knowledgeable about customizations and what is MA compliant. They basically said you can use any adjustable stock (not folding) in MA, as long as it is fixed in position. Some have pins that can be pulled and those apparently are illegal. The state wants to see something that is fixed in it's position with a bolt and screw. I guess their view is that if it is a pin, and you go to the minimum adjustment, it is "like" a folding stock.

Hey... that is nice. How does she shoot? What is the effective range with the optics you have installed?

It's shoot fine. My range is only 200yards long, but I think most people would say that 0-4x optics are good for up to 300-400yards. I'm not the best shot in the world, but the rifle seems pretty accurate to me. It's sort of like an AK that shoots .223 but takes AR mags.

That's great for lasers and flashlights, but what about the important stuff? How many different barrels are available for the556 vs. the AR? How many drop-in trigger kits? How many stocks?

The Sig will accept the same stocks an AR will.

I just ordered one (556) from Dennis today. Woo Hoo!!

Paul, did you happen to get the price before any of the rebates? Last I saw, it was $1300 - $1350 (one week it was the $1300, the next it was $1350)

No. The email didn't say. Even if their starting price is $1350, that means you get the 556 for $950 which is a hell of a deal.

On the stock, with the possible exception of the Magpul PRS, adjustable stocks are not MA compliant unless you make them permanently fixed.

This is just my opinion, but I think that a first "battle" rifle should be basic and cheap. You can get a decent AR for somewhere in the low $700 range, use the leftover cash for training and practice ammo, and then upgrade to the HSLD piston rifles and optics and all that when you've mastered the basics. A good shooter behind a $700 weapon will beat a mediocre shooter behind a $2,500 weapon 9 times out of 10. Again, just my opinion....

I totally disagree with you.
That number is 10 times out of 10.[grin]

No. The email didn't say. Even if their starting price is $1350, that means you get the 556 for $950 which is a hell of a deal.

On the stock, with the possible exception of the Magpul PRS, adjustable stocks are not MA compliant unless you make them permanently fixed.

I'm assuming that is why the guys said it needs to be bolted, not pinned?

$699! If I can build one to my specs for less (and my specs DON'T demand the fancy stock, rail, or flat-top), then I might like Remsport as well. For that matter, I am not against used parts for some non-moving parts, so could save more there.

Refer to:
retro AR: help put together shopping list

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

I just noticed they raised the price back to $799. Anyway when I bought at $699 that was the best price I could find because I rasl ran the numbers and could not assemble one from scratch cheaper than $699.

Last edited:
I just noticed they raised the price back to $799. Anyway when I bought at $699 that was the best price I could find because I rasl ran the numbers and could not assemble one from scratch cheaper than $699.

It was $699 when I posted that.

Damn, myself and everyone was impressed with $1000 at FS two months ago! They're practically giving them away now. It would be nice if the reticle included wasn't a complete POS. Has anyone seen something like the ACOG that works in VERY low light, but still has the ability to dial up the zoom? Nothing hugely powerful, just some level of zoom would be nice (maybe like 1.5x - 8x or 14x)

Back
Top Bottom