• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR click, no bang

That's great.

Looking at the last picture, it doesn't appear that the bolt carrier group is going into battery.

What did you try to chamber in that picture, a loaded round or a spent piece of brass?

Have you looked in the chamber with a flashlight to see if there is any obstruction in there? Any debris?

Is the bore clear?

Did you try with another bolt carrier group?

In the meantime, you might want to check out some of the School of The American Rifle videos on youtube to get familiar with the workings of the AR15 rifle and how to check various components for proper working function.

This ^

I’m thinking there is a separated case neck in the chamber or something preventing the bolt from closing with a round.

Just a thought.

This ^

I’m thinking there is a separated case neck in the chamber or something preventing the bolt from closing with a round.

Just a thought.

I actually had that happen to me with a Glock 23. It is very difficult to realize until you see the case wall, which is hard to see at first. Trust me on this.

This ^

Just a thought.
Yes, it's a possibility there's a piece of a case neck in the chamber.
Could be a piece of brass shaving in the locking lug area.
Could be a bullet (squib) stuck just ahead of the throat in the barrel
Could be a gas ring jammed up in the BCG.
Could be a bad BCG, could be a bad fit to the upper receiver and has excessive drag.
Could be the gas tube bent and obstructing the gas key.
Could be he didn't have his charging handle all the way forward and latched. I don't know how he released the BCG forward.
Could have rode the charging handle forward and the bolt is hanging up on tight locking lugs and not rotating into battery.

What's imperative is to know how the gun operates, then it's easier to methodically go through it and locate a problem.

As suggested by @Uzi2, I had this happen twice with different ARs using the same factory ammo. Seems ammo was loaded overpressure and primers were being blown out of the case. Primer got flipped forward into the barrel extension. Chambering of the next round smashed the spent primer cup down enough to lodge in a corner of the barrel extension. Bolt wouldn't fully close, and was very stiff to open. Turning the rifle to put barrel up and smacking the butt against the bench caused one primer to fall free - problem solved. The other time, I had to use a pick to get the primer cup out. Once cleared, rifles functioned perfectly. I"m not saying you have spent primer stuck in the barrel extension, but what you are describing are exactly the symptoms of some foreign matter being stuck in the barrel extension, preventing the bolt from fully inserting and locking. Just another thing to check...

No mark and the brass isn't marked up at all.

I'll break everything down and swap a spare bolt in once I can get my hands on one. We'll see.
Stop looking for an "easy fix".

Do a methodical check of the rifle.

It only takes about 10 minutes (if working slowly) to do all of the following,

Clear the gun

remove the upper,

remove charging handle and the bolt carrier group,

shine a light into the chamber and bore AND LOOK CAREFULLY to make sure they're clean and bore is unobstructed, and look all around in the barrel extension (where the locking lugs are) for any dirty build up, brass flaking, primer pieces, etc.

Turn the upper, upside down so you're looking from the bottom,

Then, slide the bolt carrier group only into the upper receiver (no charging handle) and see if it goes all the way forward and will lock up and make sure it's not hanging up on the gas key/gas tube. The bolt carrier should slide back and forth smoothly and should lock up with only slight pressure on the end of the bolt carrier.

If it won't, then figure out if the gas key is hitting the gas tube or if it's hanging up on the bolt locking lugs.

Stop looking for an "easy fix".

Do a methodical check of the rifle.

It only takes about 10 minutes (if working slowly) to do all of the following,

Clear the gun - Done

remove the upper, -Done

remove charging handle and the bolt carrier group, -Done

shine a light into the chamber and bore AND LOOK CAREFULLY to make sure they're clean and bore is unobstructed, and look all around in the barrel extension (where the locking lugs are) for any dirty build up, brass flaking, primer pieces, etc. -This piece has NOT fully been done. It could very well be that there's an obstruction, although when I took the lower and upper apart, I didn't see anything there or in the barrel. 100% Worth a more critical look.

Turn the upper, upside down so you're looking from the bottom, -Not done, in terms of putting it in a vice upside down and looking with as much scrutiny as you're implying.

Then, slide the bolt carrier group only into the upper receiver (no charging handle) and see if it goes all the way forward and will lock up and make sure it's not hanging up on the gas key/gas tube. The bolt carrier should slide back and forth smoothly and should lock up with only slight pressure on the end of the bolt carrier. -Done, the bolt slides normally and sits flush.

If it won't, then figure out if the gas key is hitting the gas tube or if it's hanging up on the bolt locking lugs. -This is a definite possibility. It was posted here that the firing ping retaining pin is in some odd position.

Good points, thank you. I should have posted an exact list of what I checked, but a lot of it I figured folks here would have assumed I already did. My fault.

It's a smart gun and it hates you.

hahaha-shut-up.gif

Goes into battery on an empty chamber.
Doesn't quite go all the way into battery with a cartridge loaded.
Difficult to manually eject round.

- Obstruction in the chamber or throat. Round getting stuck. Tough to eject. Visual check should clear that up.
- Extractor not going over edge of the case head into the extractor groove. Round going most of the way in but bolt being held back that last fraction of an inch and the FP doesn't reach the primer. No ejection. Inspect / swap out bolt.

I think its time to STOP and bring that AR to a local 'smith for an experienced functioning (lack of) check before somebody gets hurt.

Sigh..I'll probably come off wrong here, but I've built a few ARs and refurbished a little over a handful of rifles, all of which functioned just fine. Of all the firearms I own, none have had a serious problem I couldn't fix. This one just has me scratching my head a bit, and because it's a serious problem, asking the folks here who are more experienced than I am.

All excellent suggestions. I appreciate it. I'll have it broken down and in a vice tomorrow.

Sigh..I'll probably come off wrong here, but I've built a few ARs and refurbished a little over a handful of rifles, all of which functioned just fine. Of all the firearms I own, none have had a serious problem I couldn't fix. This one just has me scratching my head a bit, and because it's a serious problem, asking the folks here who are more experienced than I am.

All excellent suggestions. I appreciate it. I'll have it broken down and in a vice tomorrow.
Ask for “in person” help. Lots of smart helpful people on NES.

We’ve said that so many times already. Lots of people will go out of their way to help.

Can’t do it all remote…

Did OP clean it after he used it last? Has that question been asked.

All I know is OP better not leave us hangin here!!!!
Oh he won't....he'll continue to string this thread along, omitting critical information, not performing suggested checks and never bothering to educate himself and understand how the rifle works. Like dealing with a retarded 12 year old, only worse.....at least a retarded 12 year old has a legitimate excuse.

Oh he won't....he'll continue to string this thread along, omitting critical information, not performing suggested checks and never bothering to educate himself and understand how the rifle works. Like dealing with a retarded 12 year old, only worse.....at least a retarded 12 year old has a legitimate excuse.

tumblr_mpp9dv8boh1s0bohfo6_250.gif

Maybe I'll wrap the rifle in Christmas lights and catapult it into a tree for the lolz.

There is also the possibility that you are just too close to this to be completely objective about the issue.

I still think that you need a third party to come in and look at it for you.

I knew this thread would dead end.....sorry I wasted my time trying to help.

Back
Top Bottom