AR Build Parts Questions

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I'm want to build a tack driver AR on a par with my Savage bolt gun. This is going to be primarily a range gun that my son and I will use to shoot 9mm cases at 100 yards. I have few questions:

Upper
I'm going to use a 1:8 White Oak Varmint Upper - Will I notice an accuracy difference between the 24" barrel and 26" barrel?

Stock
I'm looking at a Magpul Gen II PRS stock. Does anybody have experience with this? Is it worth the money? Is there another one that's better? I like the ability to be able to mount a monopod. Do any other stocks have this feature?

Scope Mount
I'm going to use a Super Sniper 20X scope. I'm not going to be removing/replacing the optics on this gun. Can someone recommend a good mount for short(ish) money?

TIA

No accuracy difference in the barrel, barrels don't gain accuracy with length. WOA makes a great barrel

Never used the Magpul stock, looks nice, I have shot with a monopod on a Remmy 700, rear bag works better, more stable.

I have used Burris Xtreme rings. I think they are $20. Used them on my AR and 700, never had an issue, I have had terrible luck with Warne rings, either not sitting straight or out of spec, I also use a JP mount that gets the scope forward some, rock solid. Bit more money $150

I have Burris Xtreme rings also and can recommend them although mine were around $40.00 on sale. Also it is my understanding that shorter barrels tend to be slightly more accurate because they are stiffer but longer barrels are recommended if your shooting at longer ranges. I don't think you would notice any difference between a 24" and 26" though.

No accuracy difference in the barrel, barrels don't gain accuracy with length. WOA makes a great barrel

A big +1 to that. I have a WOA service match upper which I have been extremely pleased with, and my buddy has the 20" WOA varmint built with a Magpul. My best group using his varmint build (4 shots from 100 yds with handloads off a bipod) fit under a dime, and I'm confident that it's capable of better (in my case, the shooter was definitely the limiting factor).

main.php

As for the Magpul: while I've shot with it, I didn't make any adjustments to it, so the fit was a bit off for me. It definitely seems like a great stock, though, and I plan to pick one up for my next build.

Last edited:
I have the Mag Pull on one of my ARs. Well made, wide range of adjustment and a rail on the bottom for a mono pod. In my case, however, I found that I didn't need any adjustments, a fixed stock would probably work just as well. Still, I like the stock and don't regret the purchase.

PS Short, heavy barrels tend to give the best accuracy. Longer barrels have the advantage of more easily generating high velocities.

I prefer "mounts" to "rings". If you use a mount with the integral rings (JP, Armalite, GG&G and LaRue come to mind) you can remove the scope from the gun and replace it without the need to re-zero your scope, and you don't have to worry about ring alignment.

No accuracy difference between 24 and 26 inches. Personally, I would get one in 26" because of the longer sight radius if you ever choose to use iron sights.
DO NOT be surprised if your AR turns out better groups than your Savage. I'm not kidding.

SuperSnipers are 30mm tubes (I'm sure you already know that) so I would just get good 30mm rings and mount them on the upper. Leupold QD's would work great.

That stock costs way too much for me. Use the A2 or A1 for a while and see how it works for you.

I'm want to build a tack driver AR on a par with my Savage bolt gun. This is going to be primarily a range gun that my son and I will use to shoot 9mm cases at 100 yards. I have few questions:

Upper
I'm going to use a 1:8 White Oak Varmint Upper - Will I notice an accuracy difference between the 24" barrel and 26" barrel?

Stock
I'm looking at a Magpul Gen II PRS stock. Does anybody have experience with this? Is it worth the money? Is there another one that's better? I like the ability to be able to mount a monopod. Do any other stocks have this feature?

Scope Mount
I'm going to use a Super Sniper 20X scope. I'm not going to be removing/replacing the optics on this gun. Can someone recommend a good mount for short(ish) money?

TIA

I hope this isn't considered a hijack, but, since we're on the subject.

I've been thinking of the exact build you are describing here and just this morning on my ride to work I started wondering if I might want a .204 instead of .223. Does anyone have any input concerning this?

Also if going with the .223, why not use a WOA match upper. Does the varmint upper have a .223 chamber (as opposed to the match wylde chamber)?

If you're going to shoot it off of a front rest, get a flat bottom float tube to sit on the bags. If your going to put a bipod on it, I'm not sure it really matters.

If you are only going to be shooting at 100 yards, I'd try and get it chambered with a shorter chamber to accommodate lighter weight bullets in the 50 ~ 60 gr weight class.
You need a fast twist to shoot heavier bullets, but those are typically throated longer with a Wylde or other similar chamber. A standard .223 match chamber would probably suit you better with lighter weight bullets. Go over to AR-15 barrels.com and take a look at the difference between the Clymer and PTG .223 match reamers and the Wylde. It's the N dimension (freebore length) on the drawing. The clymer and ptg put the rifling close to the bullet so there is not a lot of jump.

B

I looked at the Larue and that's more than I'd like to spend. I don't plan on ever taking the scope off the rifle. Plus, I can always upgrade later on.

We are talking a flat-top upper, correct? I just don't see the need for a high-$ mount system if the scope is going to stay put. As I stated earlier, I would just get a quality set of rings.

Thanks for all the input. I have my stuff on order. I should be able to build up the lower this weekend, but the upper is going to take 10 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom