• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR build in MA. Now AR-9!

Yes still criterion. Looks like they reamed gas port to enlarge it. Shop didn't break it in that I know of.

@paul73

Amazon has the viper for $769 with the FFP and MRAD. Any reason I shouldn't just scoop that up? EbR-2c. Not 7c

Last edited:
Yes still criterion. Looks like they reamed gas port to enlarge it. Shop didn't break it in that I know of.

@paul73

Amazon has the viper for $769 with the FFP and MRAD. Any reason I shouldn't just scoop that up? EbR-2c. Not 7c
it is cheaper here

i do not like nether 2C/2D reticle as it has no dot in the center. when chasing bullet holes it makes it a bit more annoying, but not critical.
up to you, really. it is a good scope, i have one, but i think the arken ep5 is better, but it is not on sale now which makes it stupid to pay the full $565 for it.
it seems they are trying to push the old sh4 scopes now, priced at $299.

if you`re going to buy a nightforce later anyway - it can be better choice of losing less money than a viper that you will not use anymore. so you decide.

it is cheaper here

i do not like nether 2C/2D reticle as it has no dot in the center. when chasing bullet holes it makes it a bit more annoying, but not critical.
up to you, really. it is a good scope, i have one, but i think the arken ep5 is better, but it is not on sale now which makes it stupid to pay the full $565 for it.
it seems they are trying to push the old sh4 scopes now, priced at $299.

if you`re going to buy a nightforce later anyway - it can be better choice of losing less money than a viper that you will not use anymore. so you decide.
That's odd because Amazon has it through Europtic!? You really feel the EP5 is better not just a better value?

That's odd because Amazon has it through Europtic!? You really feel the EP5 is better not just a better value?
it is a highly subjective topic. i can tell what i think, but it is my own opinion.

ep5 and sh4 both got better turrets and better zero stop design than vortex.
ep5 i think got a better optics - it matters for 300yds, to see bullet holes through mirage. at 100yds and 200yds - matters not.
ep5 generally has slightly better resolution and clarity, better contrast at the center of the image. image is perceivably large. edges of the image are slightly worse than on the viper - but it is not what matters much to me.

sh4 optics are slightly worse than viper, as same level with venom. for 100yds matters none. so it all depends upon intended use and if you have any other gun to move it afterwards if you will not like it.

i also do not know how easy it would be to try to return an arken back if you would decide it is not what you want. obviously - with both amazon and eurooptic returns are of no issue.

i think at the $299 the sh4 is a decent value, but way less of value than the EP5 at $423. that is what i think.

as of ep5 to sh4, i think i posted it somewhere before, but, here it is - should give an idea.
IMG-1445.jpg

I have viper IIs in 1-6, 3-15, and 5-25. I like them, and can usually find decent deals
The 5-25 for $669 seems like a good price. That damn EP5 has me thinking now though! I like the 1-10 swapfox on my ar-15 so if I don't like this scope it's just gonna sit in a box for a while.

The 5-25 for $669 seems like a good price. That damn EP5 has me thinking now though! I like the 1-10 swapfox on my ar-15 so if I don't like this scope it's just gonna sit in a box for a while.
if i can give one advice - it is easier to move scopes around and re-zero it again and again than to have a scope in the box and never use it.
ep5 is a fine glass for its sale price of $439 as at that price you accept a probability for this company to go belly up, etc. there are no comparable alternatives to EP5 in under $500.
it is worth getting it while on that sale.

when it gets to $570 - it opens up more choices, and the vortex at $670 is a WAY better deal.
but neither one is the perfect scope. i like ep5, but i am not a complete idiot to proclaim it a best thing ever. :)

ps. with all that said, i got sh4 on the .308 ar10 right now and not going to move it nowhere any time soon. it works just fine on it, and it did cost me $325 - the current $299 sale is better. makes you wonder why they discount it that deep, though.

Last edited:
Arken currently has the deal to include the combo pack that makes it similar to the 25% off if you were buying the pack with it.
I think their cantilever mounts are the best bang for buck out there.

AR10 uppers/lowers do not share the same universal cross-brand compatibility, nor do they all use the exact same type magazine. Choose wisely.
It's already assembled and I grabbed a few pmags that seem to work. I tried to do my research and went with Aero/BA stuff except the barrel.

I already have an Aero mount. I have to double check what size.

Thats definitely a good price, Ive been seeing more deels on them recently, im expecting probably gen III soon?

View attachment 658816
Nothing fancy but she's home. Actually lighter than I thought it'd be. The only problem is they gave my bag to someone else!? I dropped it off with a small pitbull bag or whatever and a little lock. Nope not there anymore...
so, i was just looking at eurooptic for something completely different i needed and noticed this tenmile scopes sale.

a 3-18x50 is what AR10 is made for. a one more set of options to consider, but check current prices on them carefully.
and they are all SFP, as it seems.

He offered me a very similar bag. I said I'm gonna go home and make sure I'm not crazy. Turns out I wasn't crazy and they probably gave my bag and lock to whoever owns the similar bag there...
i really think it is the scope you need:

of course it is an SFP. but, for the AR10 it is actually a benefit, as you will have proper reticle at both 3x and 18x. great discount at this price, and good magnification.
a good scope, at $739 from $1800 retail. this is a real good glass.

i really think it is the scope you need:

of course it is an SFP. but, for the AR10 it is actually a benefit, as you will have proper reticle at both 3x and 18x. great discount at this price, and good magnification.
a good scope, at $739 from $1800 retail. this is a real good glass.
I was looking at trijicom when shopping for my last scope. I think my swampfox arrowhead might be SFP.

Last edited:
I was looking at trijicom when shopping for my last scope.
no one will say an ill word about a tenmile, it is a real good stuff. if i would have anything to put a 3-18x on, i would get one.

but an SFP and some hate them. i, again, think it is better for a 3-18x specifically to be in SFP - as you can hunt with it easier, with full size reticle at 3-4x and .308 shoots flat for all you can care about aiming handheld. for a longer distance you flip it to 18x and then reticle works as intended.

but, obviously, for 300-600yds an 18x is not quite enough. for 100-300yds - more than enough.
So it all boils down to your intended use case.

Most lpvo are sfp as you want a full reticle always, at 1x and 10x same. Not necessarily same for long range gun.

Last edited:
I’ve got this on my Ruger PR 308

Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP

Went with the EOTech HWS + 3X magnifier on my DD5 V3 AR-10 though. Just seemed more practical given it’s a 16-inch street sweeper and these optics get me up to 300 yards out.

Last edited:
Is FFP preferred because the adjustments stay the same?
it is not 'preferred' at all, it depends upon application.
i would never get a 5-25x or 4.5-30x in SFP. but a 3-18x in SFP may be useful.

from the viper link - it is a good explanation why - here is how the FFP reticle looks at 5x. messy.
1662512022474.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom