• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Buffer spring rattle

It's not really a problem per se (I think), but annoying... When I shoot my AR I hear the buffer spring rattle around inside the A2 stock.

Is this normal?

And can I do anything about it?

Yes it's normal.

I've heard of people oiling up the tube and spring to reduce the noise, but I'm not sure how well that'll work.

Edit: there's also the Oly Arms AC4 Pneumatic buffer that replaces the spring, and buffer. They say it eliminates the "twang" all together, and reduces the recoil.

Last edited:
Grease, not oil, will tone down the twang. Not totally, but it will reduce it quite a bit.

I would recommend not using anything on the spring. Its designed to be run dry, and any oil or grease will attract dirt.

Once you learn the zen of ARs, you will use the buffer noise to know when the gun is empty without having to break the cheek weld.

--EasyD

You don't like the sprong ? Ban yourself now!!!

I love the sprong noise too. Funny thing is, I have an A2 on my Troy MCS/SOCOM-16 and I get that hollow noise without the "sprong", as it uses a stock M-16 buffer tube. I almost want to stick a spring in there just for the sound, but will hear it soon enough with the NES AR-15 build. [wink]

I used some grease intended for the hydraulic front forks of off-road bicycles. It snuffed all the annoying sproooing noises.

I was wondering where the jar of "Bike Butter" disappeared to... (^_^)

Seriously, there are some good low-temp lubes coming out of the bike industry.

However, I wouldn't stick any in the buffer. You get enough gas crap on the bolt. Now you'll have that bolt push back into the buffer tube. Ya think it might just leave some of the crap behind? Now, instead of wet runny crap like you get on the bolt, you have gooey crap in the buffer tube.

Yuck.

Learn to love the 'Sprong'. (^_^)

Thanks guys, glad to know it's ok and nothing is wrong.

I'll work on learning to love the sproong. If I can't do it, I'll ask Darius to pass the lube...

...let me rephrase that...

Back
Top Bottom