AR-15 thread... I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Mine has gone through a bunch of configurations, but I think we've finally settled on this.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4004.JPG
    IMG_4004.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,311
IMG_8410.jpg

IMG_8411.jpg

Somehow missed putting my AR on this thread. Here she is with new Spikes fake can.

Stag Lower
Spikes Upper
Stag parts, barrel, mil-spec bolt
YMH everything else.

Larue/Leupold MRT incoming.
Thanks for looking

stag makes one. i'm looking forward to spending lots of money on it as my son is left handed. [wink]

I've done some looking at that actually - I don't think they do. What they put on their Model L rifles is a standard lower with ambi parts. Its the upper that really makes the difference.

SO this means that the mag release button and the BHO are on opposite sides of where they are on a standard AR15 lower ?

Linkage or pics Por Favor.

ETA: didnt read "the rest of the story". (Credit to Paul Harvey)

stag makes one. I'm looking forward to spending lots of money on it as my son is left handed. [wink]

small update for me.

DSCN0622.jpg

the bushy was traded for this... but otherwise, it's still tits!

20" upper
Fixed front / rear sights
Barska SWAT Tactical 8 - 32 x 44mm scope

*haven't shot it yet. will do so within the 2 weeks.

Trunk Gun Build

I built this rifle for home defense and as a "trunk gun" to carry broken down in a Cavalry Arms Discreet Rifle Bag, along with a Mini-Sneaky rifle bag for spare mags.

P1030071.jpg

A Territorial Gunsmiths SLR15 Lower provides the foundation. I added KNS Anti-Rotational FCG Pins to keep everything secure. A Norgon Ambi-Catch allows for weak-handed mag changes (I'm a lefty but shoot righty and am ambidextrous). I had Mike LaRocca tune the trigger to crisp glass rod breaking goodness at 4.5 pounds. I prefer the feel of the Ergo Grip along with a Sully Trigger Guard to make extra room for a gloved trigger finger. The Ace ARFX-E Entry Stock keeps it MA AWB compliant and I like the short length. YHM EZ-Pull Take-down Pins are used for quick assembly/disassembly in and out of the CavArms bag.

P1030074.JPG

For the upper, I wanted it to be relatively light weight to give the rifle a neutral balance. I used an A3 upper from a previous build, which works perfectly with the Sabre Defense 16" CVM 1/7 Midlength gas barrel. Mike LaRocca dimpled the barrel under the MI Low Profile gas block. The light weight of the PRI Rifle Length Forearm makes it a perfect candidate. It has enough rail for a MI Front Folding Sight and a Streamlight TLR-1 C4 on top in front (not shown), and I wanted a round forearm profile for this build. The rifle length also covers and protects the low profile gas block.

The pinned and welded PWS DNTC Aggressive Compensator keeps it MA AWB compliant while offering excellent compensation, with an added bonus of looking bad ass. Moving back, inside there's a G&R Tactical Bolt Carrier Group which is HPT/MP tested, extractor with black insert, Crane O-Ring, properly staked chrome lined and heat treated gas key, chrome line bolt carrier, and fully shrouded firing pin.

P1030080.JPG

For optics, I went with an Aimpoint C3 2MOA with See-through covers and Tenebraex Kill Flash mounted in an ADM AD-68H Mount. The C3 is perhaps the best value of the Aimpoint line. A MI SPLP Folding Rear Sight provides back-up. 50,000 hour battery life allows me to leave it on all of the time, and the see-though covers provide instant deployment.

I went with a single-point sling due to the rifle being assembled from inside the CavArms Bag. Anything more than one mounting point would create a tangled mess and slow down assembly and deployment.

The thermal properties of the foam cheekpiece on the ACE stock and the carbon fiber PRI forearm will be appreciated on hot and cold days.

Unloaded weight (without TLR-1) is 7lbs 10oz, OAL 34 1/8".

Added some upgrades after running a carbine class and replacing what I didn't like.

Before :

DSCN1189.JPG

After :

dscn1420.jpg

Optic is the aimpoint Comp M3 with the Larue QD mount. The stock is pinned in that position and it is perfect for me, but I may need to invest in the gas buster charging handle.

Dropped my unfired M&P15FT off to David Santurri today for a PWS compensator installation and some other goodies.[smile]

I'll post pics as soon as my Eotech comes in.

Here is mine picked her up last Thursday. DPMS Panther AP4 Carbine 16" 5.56MA legal

CIMG0245.jpg

CIMG0243.jpg

I want to get some rail type handguards, any one familiar with these or able to offer up some suggestions? Samson DI AR-15 Carbine Length Drop-In Handgurad Rail System

I put cash down on the same DPMS M4A3. It has been 5 weeks I waited for my Class A LTC and still no luck. Looking at your gun makes me want my gun so much more now.

Last edited:
I waited like 66 days for my LTC and I hope your wait is nothing like that. I have not had a chance to break it in yet but happened upon half a case of .223 yesterday so if all goes well I will get achnce to shoot it on Sunday. I'd go Sat but I have my cousins 1st b-day and he just got out of open heart surgery last week. I've taken the rifle apart, cleaned it, and lubed it but thats about it. I'll post a range report as soon as I get to put some rounds down range.

I'm looking for some handguard with rails as well, but don't have the slightest clue.

KAC or Daniel's Defense is the way to go. My M16A4 clone you saw had KAC rails on it. The Carbine had YHM, I wish I had opted for the DD rails because they are a lot lighter than the YHM.

I'm looking for some handguard with rails as well, but don't have the slightest clue.

I got my pre ban w/ YHM rails and covers. My post ban has Troy Industries on it. They were very easy to install. I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between the 2. I know that Troy and Daniel Defense only take a few minutes to install.

KAC or Daniel's Defense is the way to go. My M16A4 clone you saw had KAC rails on it. The Carbine had YHM, I wish I had opted for the DD rails because they are a lot lighter than the YHM.

The Midwest Industry rails are pretty high quality for the price. They are about $100-200 or so less than the big brands. Also, they make a two-piece free float rail that is perfect for people with fixed front sight posts who wish install a free float tube. I would check them out.

Back
Top Bottom