• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Scope recommendation

Looking to replace my $89 scope on my Colt HBAR AR-15. Typically shoot at 100 and 200 yds with occasional 400 and 600 yds. Not sure I want to go for a $2500 Nightforce setup.

Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP unless you want to use it for CQB in which case the Razor is perfect for out to 200, yes you can use it out to 600

What is the budget? Primary Arms makes decent glass that is budget friendly, there is also SWFA

I hated the PA 1-6.

The zero changes about 3 MOA between 4x and 6x, never could get the ocular focus quite right either.

In that price range the Burris MTAC or SWFA are definitely better options.

If you like the 6x fixed the SWFA SS 6X is a great scope. Run that with an offset red dot and you're good for any distance you're going to use a 5.56 for. They're bullet proof and tracking is on the money, which you're not likely to find with most of the 1-6s until you start spending some real $$.

a 1-6 with a 24mm objective is just not right for me.

At anything above about 4x, the exit pupil is so small that it becomes really fussy with respect to head position.

If you want over 4x, I'd suggest a 32mm objective scope.

From what you said, it sounds like some of the 2-7x32 scopes would be perfect for you.

A number of companies make scopes like this. Ranging from $125 specials on up.

7x works fine out to 600 yards. Although its less than ideal for seeing your own holes.

I have been struggling with scope selection for a while.
I'm looking more for target use. I have been able to get my eyes behind many scopes over the summer. My big problem is I don't like all the crazy tactical reticles with so much of the glass covered with grids, dots, lines and such.
What I did find out is I'm not going to get what I want for much less than $1000

Here is some that made the list. My scope needs are 90% target shooting for small groups not hits on target type shooting. Some choices are function based and some are price.

I really like the target dot style scopes. Side focus

On the least expensive side I found

http://swfa.com/Mueller-8-32x44-Target-Dot-30mm-Riflescope-P42358.aspx personally used this scope and for the money it was clear and smooth adjustments. Although the side focus had some serious back lash. You need to start from dead stop and go into the focus with out reversing direction.
Get to know your scope and set it up for you and Mark your knobs you will be fine. What I didn't like is it felt rather brittle.

I really liked this scope the dot was small and clear https://www.leupold.com/hunting-sho...opes/vx-3-8-5-25x50mm-30mm-side-focus-target/

Got to try a few nightfource scopes... a competition and a NSX first thing you notice with these scopes.
They are chunky. Very nice and I got to play with this one for a day.

http://nightforceoptics.com/nxs/5-5-22x50

I also was able to try a March brand scope it was so nice 40x at 200 yards the tiny aiming dot could be put into a 22 hole.

So now I need to find a basic reticle. .... like the NF DDR2

The leupold VX3 I tried was very nice also..... it's tough. You need to really have a grasp of what you want from your scope.

I'm leaning towards bench rest / prone style shooting for little tiny groups. 90% @ 200 yards and a few 600 yard matches a year... still looking. For now my almost 20 year old VXIII 2.5x8x32 duplex reticle sits on my "bench/varmint" AR

I have been struggling with scope selection for a while.
I'm looking more for target use. I have been able to get my eyes behind many scopes over the summer. My big problem is I don't like all the crazy tactical reticles with so much of the glass covered with grids, dots, lines and such.
What I did find out is I'm not going to get what I want for much less than $1000

Here is some that made the list. My scope needs are 90% target shooting for small groups not hits on target type shooting. Some choices are function based and some are price.

I really like the target dot style scopes. Side focus

On the least expensive side I found

http://swfa.com/Mueller-8-32x44-Target-Dot-30mm-Riflescope-P42358.aspx personally used this scope and for the money it was clear and smooth adjustments. Although the side focus had some serious back lash. You need to start from dead stop and go into the focus with out reversing direction.
Get to know your scope and set it up for you and Mark your knobs you will be fine. What I didn't like is it felt rather brittle.

I really liked this scope the dot was small and clear https://www.leupold.com/hunting-sho...opes/vx-3-8-5-25x50mm-30mm-side-focus-target/

Got to try a few nightfource scopes... a competition and a NSX first thing you notice with these scopes.
They are chunky. Very nice and I got to play with this one for a day.

http://nightforceoptics.com/nxs/5-5-22x50

I also was able to try a March brand scope it was so nice 40x at 200 yards the tiny aiming dot could be put into a 22 hole. I think this is the one I tried.

http://marchscopes.com/bench-rest-40-50--60-x-52.html

So now I need to find a basic reticle. .... like the NF DDR2

The leupold VX3 I tried was very nice also..... it's tough. You need to really have a grasp of what you want from your scope.

I'm leaning towards bench rest / prone style shooting for little tiny groups. 90% @ 200 yards and a few 600 yard matches a year... still looking. For now my almost 20 year old VXIII 2.5x8x32 duplex reticle sits on my "bench/varmint" AR

Trying really nice scopes out side your upper budget doesn't help......

Bushnell elite tactical 6-24x first focal plane best scope for my money , I have it over a white oak armament 1/7 wylde chamber with an American gold trigger real tack driver.

I have a Burris XTR 2 on my AR... Decent glass and good turrets. I much prefer it to the vortex stuff in the value scope range. Can be had in the $650 range in your good at shopping

I have a 6-24×50MM Vortex on one AR, and a Leupold on another. Each have their purpose.

What you get depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you want.

Now, one of my AR's wears an Aimpoint CompM4, another a Trijicon TA-31F ACOG, the last irons. The old lady's AR has an Elcan Specter OS on it.

My bench guns, well, some wear 36X Leupold, a 6X Leupold, a 24X Leupold-Siebert, some Lyman 24X, 25X or 6X scopes and a few Weavers (T6 mostly).

For price/performance, it's hard to beat an old school steel tubed Weaver (from El Paso). But, they'll mostly have plain reticles, and zero "cool factor". But, they work.

Vortex Strike Eagle. Dont think you can beat Vortex's warranty. Unless you are running and gunning, no need to spend over $500 on scope and mount...IMHO

I shoot 200 yds with a nikon 3x9x40 and it serves my purposes well. It's a pretty good scope and not a bank breaker.

Back
Top Bottom