• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 in Massachusetts

Hello,
I'm fairly new to all of this, so if someone can answer these questions, I'd be really thankful.

I understand that MA still has the AWB that sunset in most other areas of the country in 2004. That means that "assault weapons" are banned, which include everything in Chapter 140 Section 121 of MGL, correct?

So, if I wanted an AR-15, I would need to get one without a collapsible stock, bayonet lug, and flash suppressor, correct? That's because it has a pistol grip and removable magazine. It is an "assault weapon" if it has more than two of the aforementioned features, correct?

So, one of the AR-15s that I can buy new is the Bushmaster M4 - http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_PCWA3X_14M4IZ.asp, correct? Does anyone know of any other "post-ban" or "ban-compliant" AR-15s?

Or I can opt for a used, "pre-ban" AR-15 from basically any manufacturer, correct?

Finally, I go to school in New York. If I were to purchase the Bushmaster, for example, could I have it shipped to a FFL in New York? Federal law only requires that I purchase HANDGUNS in the state of residence, or am I mistaken? Either way, a post-ban AR-15 would be legal for me to possess in New York, because they do not require a permit for long arms.

Thanks for your help!

You can buy a used pre-ban AR15.

There are many manufacturers that make AR15s in post-ban configuration. Armalite, Rock River Arms, Bushmaster, S&W, etc., etc.

You'll have to check carefully on the laws in NY to make sure that you can actually possess the gun there -- I'm unfamiliar with NY laws. NY has its own assault weapons ban, but I'm not familiar with the statute.

Federal law will let you buy the gun in any state, provided that you obey the laws of both states.

You can't buy the gun mail order from a MA FFL. You would have to buy it in person.

Hello,

Or I can opt for a used, "pre-ban" AR-15 from basically any manufacturer, correct?

Just make sure it is a complete "pre-ban" not just the upper. A pre-ban upper on a post ban lower is still a no no. Pre-ban lowers command a pretty good premium around here in ban states.

Can those in Mass or other New England states own a post ban upper on a Preban AR15 lower and be in compliance ?

Does caliber or design on the upper matter to be in compliance with your state law ?

If so I may have a Item to make available to those that can possess such a rifle.

Can those in Mass or other New England states own a post ban upper on a Preban AR15 lower and be in compliance ?

Does caliber or design on the upper matter to be in compliance with your state law ?

If so I may have a Item to make available to those that can possess such a rifle.

Yes

no

mr_burns_excellent.jpg

Anyone want one ?
http://www.57center.com/
7.2%20home%20page%20resized%20display%20Picture%20028%20copy.jpg800x800.jpg

Yes. This is why preban lowers are so highly valued. They give you the ability to have all the 'evil' features that are otherwise illegal.

Last edited:
Pre-ban lower with a post ban upper means all the goodies? collapsable stock, flash hinder, lug? No problems? No Pinning?

Finally, I go to school in New York. If I were to purchase the Bushmaster, for example, could I have it shipped to a FFL in New York? Federal law only requires that I purchase HANDGUNS in the state of residence, or am I mistaken? Either way, a post-ban AR-15 would be legal for me to possess in New York, because they do not require a permit for long arms

Actually, according to the ATF, there is an exception for dual state residents. In the 2005 ATF Guide Book, it gives as an example and out of state college student. It says an out of state college student can buy handguns either state when they are actually "residing" in the respective state.

Basically, you pay an approximately $400 premium for a used, verifiably pre-ban lower receiver from GunBroker over a new one. Given that the cost of new ones has skyrocketed recently (if you can find one!), pre-ban lowers are actually an even better deal, as the premium is around $300 if you can find a good deal.

I picked up a nice Bushmaster pre-ban with a two-stage trigger recently for $750. It also came with the original invoice proving it was shipped as a complete rifle before Sep. 13, 1994. I also contacted Bushmaster, and they verified this information. That is really key to avoiding any legal trouble.

Hello,
I'm fairly new to all of this, so if someone can answer these questions, I'd be really thankful.

I understand that MA still has the AWB that sunset in most other areas of the country in 2004. That means that "assault weapons" are banned, which include everything in Chapter 140 Section 121 of MGL, correct?

So, if I wanted an AR-15, I would need to get one without a collapsible stock, bayonet lug, and flash suppressor, correct? That's because it has a pistol grip and removable magazine. It is an "assault weapon" if it has more than two of the aforementioned features, correct?

So, one of the AR-15s that I can buy new is the Bushmaster M4 - http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_PCWA3X_14M4IZ.asp, correct? Does anyone know of any other "post-ban" or "ban-compliant" AR-15s?

Finally, I go to school in New York. If I were to purchase the Bushmaster, for example, could I have it shipped to a FFL in New York? Federal law only requires that I purchase HANDGUNS in the state of residence, or am I mistaken? Either way, a post-ban AR-15 would be legal for me to possess in New York, because they do not require a permit for long arms.

Thanks for your help!

You can also have a gunsmith emasculate - er - I mean make iMA compliant an AR by grinding off the lug, pinning the stock and swapping out the flash hider for a pinned and welded compensator. I know JDL will do this and I'm sure many others would as well.

Are all compensators or muzzle brakes legal in MA as long as they are pinned and welded?

Here is the description of the compensator that i am thinking of purchasing:

"This FSC556 Tactical Compensator has all of the compensation of the standard DNTC compensator combined with enough flash suppression to keep the flash out of your optics and line of sight.

This device has been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE. See the document here.

This device was also designed to accommodate suppressors such as the Gemtech HALO and therefore comes with a peel washer.

This unit is 2.10" in length, .865" (22mm) in diameter and is threaded 1/2x28 RH."

Based on this I think I'm good under MA law correct?

Jdubois thank again for all your help with my questions.

Based on this I think I'm good under MA law correct?

Not only is it 22mm, which is the 'no-no' size because of the NATO grenades, but it is also advertised as a flash suppressor. Even though ATF ruled it not a flash suppressor (which is definitely in your favor), remember that the MA AWB is not the same as the federal AWB, so ATF's rulings are nothing more than guidelines if anything. Somebody could still make a stink about it being a flash suppressor.

With both those questionable issues, I'd stay away from it, personally.

Back
Top Bottom