AR-15 Build

Hope someone can help. I'd like to build my own AR and I'm wondering if it's legal. What I'm looking at is a new Mega lower and a J&T Ind. CAR parts kit. Obviously, I'd get the lower transferred to me by my local dealer. Would I then still have to register the complete gun?
Thanks

Edit: Explained in more detail by Scrivener below.

Last edited:
They are easy to build. I'll stay away from MA law as well, except to say that you will need to build a post-ban rifle using a new lower in MA. I haven't used Mega or JT parts personally, but I have heard good things about both companies.

CD

crakowski said:
No. The lower is the gun.

WRONG, so far as Mass. law is concerned.

Under FEDERAL law an AR lower is a "firearm" and requires a 4473 if purchased from a dealer. Under Mass. law, it is not a gun unless and until it is capable, or readily made capable, of actually firing a shot. Mere lowers won't.

I bet the dealer will either not be aware of that distinction or choose to ignore it as a CYA move and file both a 4473 AND an FA-10. IF the FA-10 is not filed (what's the barrel length, finish and caliber of a stripped lower?), you will need to file one once the gun is completed.

Was assuming an FA10 would go with the lower. Yes at some point it would have to have an FA10 filed.

Back
Top Bottom