• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Applying for LTC-A in Andover, MA - Doctor's note?

Hi All,
I'm new to the forums and I have been searching for the past 2 weeks,
and I have found a lot of good information of the site.
I live in Andover, MA (red town) and I am looking to apply
for an LTC-A.

While looking at the neccessary paperwork needed to apply for
my license in Andover it states that I need a letter from my
personal physician giving me a bill of good mental health.

I don't see how my personal physician would be able to professionally
diagnose my mental health.
I'm considering seeing a psychiatrist, as I would think it would make more
sense. Plus, I do not have a personal physician currently and it seems to me that
getting one to just sign a letter saying that I am mentally stable for an LTC seems a bit strange.

What do you guys think, and has anyone had to deal with this whole "Doctor's note"
situation?

Thanks-

If you do a search, you will see some more discussion on this issue... This requirement is a non-statutory abuse of discretion on the part of your CLEO, but as I recall, your mileage will vary on success fighting it...

It would indeed be wrong of your doctor to diagnose your mental health as it is wrong to ask them and I recall some have refused to do it for fear of liability.

This is among the many things that will soon be fought in court now that the SJC has been been implicitly overruled WRT to their assertion that the second amendment does not apply to the states. They will no doubt soon be overruled explicitly as well if they keep up their prior pattern of nonsense. The legal process, however, will move frustratingly slow.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...equirements?highlight=andover+LTC+doctor+note

Good luck, welcome to the site. Unfortunately, welcome to the fight as well. Join GOAL. You are behind enemy lines in Andover.

Last edited:
What Cekim says. At this time you probably will have no choice in whether you get a doctor's note , if you want to expedite the licensing process. You can get a lawyer and go down that road too.

Like Cekim said, join GOAL. There is a new 2nd Amendment rights group that is beginning to put our State's feet to the fire. That group is Comm 2A. Here's their link: http://www.comm2a.org/

Thanks for the responses guys, I love the amount of knowledge on this site.
I will look into joining GOAL, and the Comm 2A.

I understand that I will no doubt need to get a doctors note to apply for my license
in Andover.
I am currently looking for a suitable psychiatrist to evaluate my mental health, and
I was curious if anyone else had to personally deal with this hurdle and what they did.

Thanks guys.

I am currently looking for a suitable psychiatrist to evaluate my mental health,
You might be able to get away with your internist writing a letter stating (s)he is not aware of any mental health issues.

I would not go to a psychiatrist for a license. i would search out a 2A group that wants to put up a fight and will fight this for you. of course, this assumes that you are otherwise suitable. every time one of us caves to these extra requirements we lose standing. i wish i could afford to pay for such a fight but one of our 2A groups might be interested in it. check with GOAL

I have my LTC from Andover,........PAin in the ASS to get a unrestricted, i have a CLass A, Hunting target. i was shocked when i needed a DRs note, my first Doc wouldnt clear me unless i went to a shrink....sooooo i just went to another Doc who was more then happy to sign the waiver for me...hope this helps

Ok,
It does look like going to a psychiatrist is a bad idea.
A doctor that wouldn't have a problem signing a waiver would be great!

oniriggers - you have a private message

Allman, welcome to the forum.

It is regrettable that you, or any other citizen, has to endure this crap. As others have suggested, join/contact GOAL. As finances allow, contribute to Comm2A. When this battle begins in the courts it will need ammunition in the form of $$$$.

Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition. [wink]

If that's the issue try approaching the town selectman and ask them why the COP is depriving you of a constitutional right. I don't remember seeing anything in the Constitution about a Militia having a doctors note.

I understand that I will no doubt need to get a doctors note to apply for my license
in Andover.
I am currently looking for a suitable psychiatrist to evaluate my mental health, and
I was curious if anyone else had to personally deal with this hurdle and what they did.

Thanks guys.

I would not consult a psychiatrist on this one. Then from that day on you would have to answer "have you ever visited a psychiatrist" question as affirmative (such as on a security clearance form). Find a doc that will be willing to write the letter after he gave you a physical exam.

in Andover.

Thanks guys.
I wouldn't just walk into any doc's office and ask them for this. You might run into one who is biased against guns/gun owners. I'd try to get a reference for one who would do an unbiased assessment.
Sounds to me like they might be just putting up a roadblock, knowing that many doctors (rightfully so) don't feel that they can give an assessment for something like this.

Last edited:
Why should he be made to get a note? It is his right to own and carry a firearm. I would rather pay a lawyer to fight this or work this from a legal right issue with the town manager or selectman.
Is anyone else from Andover that had to jump through this embarrasing hoop?

If I were faced with that sort of blatantly unconstitutional demand, I'd be torn as to how to respond. My emotional side would want to take it all the way to the US Supreme Court if necessary (after accepting that "kill the damn redcoats" would likely prove counterproductive in the long run). OTOH, my rational side would chuckle, knowing that my Ophthalmologist would happily write the letter without batting an eye.

Ken

O and this will piss you off...when i spoke to the Andover Police when i got my LTC they told me, any Doc could sign it, a vet or a denist, a family friend whos a doc.....really????? they arent even serious about the medical note, its just to annoy would be gun owners...hmmm you would think smart people wouldnt want to piss us off...... its kinda like this haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY

Doesn't GOAL have a specific doctor that they use for 'notes' such as this?

GOAL doesn't need a doctor. [wink] [laugh]

If he's a GOAL member he could call and ask if they have a list of docs near there who are willing to write the letter. Otherwise, just ask some docs up there until you find one that will do it.

Another thought is to ask around your local gun clubs. I've found a dentist, orthopedic doc, chiropractor, etc. in one of my gun clubs. I've never had to make this query but you'd be surprised but there are more than a few professional medical practitioners who are gun people too.

There are a few North Shore and a few South Shore towns that throw this up to dissuade people from getting their licenses. It also gives the chief a false sense of security that if they go postal, he can point to the letter and say "see here, a doc gave this perp clearance, not my fault"!

I wouldn't just walk into any doc's office and ask them for this. You might run into one who is biased against guns/gun owners. I'd try to get a reference for one who would do an unbiased assessment.
Sounds to me like they might be just putting up a roadblock, knowing that many doctors (rightfully so) don't feel that they can give an assessment for something like this.

Yup, but if you can't get a referral by someone who knows which docs will do it, that's what you have to do.

Fighting it in court will literally take years (w/o a license and lose all your guns if you already own them) before you MAY win (this is MA you are talking about here).

Have a lawyer sign a different kind of letter on your behalf. I'm willing to bet the chief won't pursue it much further than that.

O and this will piss you off...when i spoke to the Andover Police when i got my LTC they told me, any Doc could sign it, a vet or a denist, a family friend whos a doc.....really????? they arent even serious about the medical note, its just to annoy would be gun owners...hmmm you would think smart people wouldnt want to piss us off...... its kinda like this haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY

Did you get unrestricted or Hunting Target?

What do you guys think, and has anyone had to deal with this whole "Doctor's note" situation?

Never had to deal with it. I don't see anything good coming from submitting to that process, especially for a restricted LTC.

You are behind enemy lines in Massachusetts.

Fixed it. The greenest of towns in Mass. can turn into the worst red/black town in the state simply because a chief, selectman or licensing officer resigns or takes another position. All a green town does is put the odds in your favor for a little while.

If that's the issue try approaching the town selectman and ask them why the COP is depriving you of a constitutional right. I don't remember seeing anything in the Constitution about a Militia having a doctors note.

The first part is a good idea, the second not so much IMO. Explain that it's humiliating, unusual and unfair. Make yourself look like the regular human that you are, and not a caricature of the NRA or something. The constitution also doesn't mention licenses or an EOPS list, but in an anti-gun climate like Mass. it's what you have to face.

I would rather pay a lawyer to fight this or work this from a legal right issue with the town manager or selectman.

So would I, but the OP may not have the time or money.

Fighting it in court will literally take years (w/o a license and lose all your guns if you already own them) before you MAY win (this is MA you are talking about here).

Just an FYI, someone I know recently fought a suitability denial in Mass., it took 2-3 years and more than $12,000 in legal fees to make it to Superior court, which is getting off lucky from a few accounts I've read on here. Even then it's a crapshoot, the Mass. courts don't often favor gun owners.

They check your criminal background and mental history with mental institutes, etc.... That's what I was told by my gun safety course instructor, who is a lieutenant in a police force. You shouldn't have to supply a dr's note.

Back
Top Bottom