• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

appleseed shoot rifle

Saw the info about this shoot just before that (HSC) weekend.

Their web site is sort of open as to what rifle you can use. I'm guessing AR's, AK's, M1's and 10/22's are the most common choices. What else will work?

I am wondering if you have attended, what rifle you did use?

Thanks,
Bill

I brought my SAR-1 to an Appleseed last summer and found it frustrating. I don't think they have the kind of accuracy for the AQT, but I'm sure some folks will disagree with me on that.

I brought a .22 bolt action to the next one and performed much better.

I'm hoping to get my NES AR built for the Appleseed in Jericho, VT. this summer. Otherwise I'm going to have to find a 10/22 and build it up as a LTR.

Saw the info about this shoot just before that (HSC) weekend.

Their web site is sort of open as to what rifle you can use. I'm guessing AR's, AK's, M1's and 10/22's are the most common choices. What else will work?

I am wondering if you have attended, what rifle you did use?

Thanks,
Bill

Pretty much anything that is reliable and you have at least 4 10 round magazines for.

I've got the same question. Are there a lot of ARs, how about SKS?

Can anyone here put a list together of the top 10 rifles for these shoots?

Thanks

Can anyone here put a list together of the top 10 rifles for these shoots?

Thanks

They COULD, but I wouldn't suggest it. Seriously. People shoot EVERYTHING. .22lr seems to be the most popular, but I think it's mostly because it is incredibly cheap to shoot.

It's not a match, so what everyone else uses shouldn't be that much of an issue. The only person you are shooting "against" is yourself. If I had to make a recommendation, it would be this:

Factor in what you like to shoot the most, what you can afford to shoot a lot of, and what you shoot the best. Then pick the rifle that best incorporates your priorities. Then grab LOTS of ammo and have a great weekend.

Last edited:
I used a 10/22. I'd say use anything that's reliable, you have 40 rounds of mag capacity for (or something that loads via clips), has a sling, is reasonably accurate(say 4 MOA or better) and you can afford 500 rounds for. If it's a 25 meter only event like Harvard, definitely shoot 22LR unless you're made of money. Save the centerfire ammo for full distance.

Pretty much anything that is reliable and you have at least 4 10 round magazines for.
What he said.
Yes, and yes, and why do you care? [wink] Seriously, I've seen everything from the now-ubiquitous 10/22 to Garands, SKSs, AKs, ARs, FALs, etc. Don't worry what anyone else is shooting; I guarantee you won't even notice unless you're getting sprayed with your neighbor's brass. You're not competing, you're learning.

We're equipment-neutral. Seriously. We recommend a semi auto .22 because it's CHEAP to shoot, and it's good for inexperienced shooters to learn on. But if you've got an AR and at least 500 rounds for it, bring it. (actually, given that Nickle hit a round count of 725 at the last Appleseed, you may want to bring at least 700 rounds!)

But folks have shot them with Enfields, bolt-action .22s of all kinds, M1 carbines - the only requirement is that it be ACCURATE. We recommend that it have click-adjustable sights and a military sling, but that's because we teach you how to use them. You want to at least have magazine capacity for 40 rounds, because that's how many rounds you need to shoot the AQT target.

But it's the Rifleman that uses the rifle... and it's the Rifleman that we train.

I guarantee you won't even notice unless you're getting sprayed with your neighbor's brass.

Especially when your neighbor sends a .308 casing that goes up your sleeve and puts a nice burn on your forearm while you are in prone trying to hit the damn 400 yard targets.

Been there, done that, still have the perfectly shaped 'brand' on my arm with neck down and extraction rim visible. (^_^) OUCH.

What he said.

Yes, and yes, and why do you care? [wink] Seriously, I've seen everything from the now-ubiquitous 10/22 to Garands, SKSs, AKs, ARs, FALs, etc. Don't worry what anyone else is shooting;

Jeez, calm down there big guy, I'm just asking. I don't know anything more that what I've read on their website.

Jeez, calm down there big guy, I'm just asking. I don't know anything more that what I've read on their website.
Something amusing about a guy with the screen name of "dwarven1" being called "big guy"...[laugh]

Hey, I was just teasing a little - that was what the wink was to indicate. I was trying, in a somewhat joking way, to point out to you that it's really YOUR choice of what to shoot - we'll work with you on whatever you bring to the line.

So bring whatever you want; this is a "run what ya brung" sort of course. We have suggestions, but that's all they are - don't feel that you have to shoot any particular rifle. My only hard and fast rule is that I always stress that it should be RELIABLE - if you're spending time fussing with a balky rifle, that's time that you're not learning. Please don't ask me know I know. [sad]

Here's the real info, trust me, I've been with the RWVA Project Appleseed 2 years now, am an Instructor and am RWVA Senior Staff.

We say "run what ya brung". .22 to 8mm is best, though don't worry about a .204 or .17 caliber, they're fine, too.

.50 BMG rifles won't be real welcome, but if you came with one, we'd stick a loaner in your hand.

SKS? Yup, Fred himself has shot Rifleman with an SKS. He likes them, too.

AK? Yup, them too. Try to make sure you've got an accurate one. Romanian AK's (SAR or WASR) are pretty good, you'll be fighting a short sight radius, but, it can be done with an AK.

AR, M1, M1A/M14, FAL, G3/CETME, Dragunov? Been done, they work.

About ANY military bolt gun works, make sure you've got enough strippers for it.

.22's have got to be the most common thing. Most of the Course of Fire is at 25 meters (83 feet), and a .22 works well. Make sure to have 4 10 round mags, if you can, as you'll want them.

Scope or Iron sights is acceptable, and if your choice is between a rear sight on the barrel (especially on a .22) and a scope, go with the scope (AK's and SKS's adjust with the front, BTW). You're going to NEED to make sight adjustments. Tech Sights on any rifle is nice, especially on a .22.

Ruger 10/22's that have been mildly altered (Liberty Training Rifles) are extremely popular.

Now, let's assume you don't have an adequate rifle, and are planning on going to an Appleseed in the area. ASK one of RWVA folks if we can arrange a loaner. I personally have 6 10/22's that get used, plus a couple other .22's. If I'm working a shoot, they are available, first come, first served, reservations taken. Other Instructors loan their rifles out too. Dwarven1, crak and Martlet are the other RWVA folks on this forum.

OK, I get it. When I read your FAQs on your site I saw this:

"What caliber is best?
In a nutshell: they all are. Appleseed is not caliber-specific. It doesn't matter to us if you use .308, .30-06, .223, 7.62x39, 8mm, .303 — they're all fine. Marksmanship and caliber are independent of each other. If you're a good marksman, you'll be able to hit with any caliber. So, if you have an AR-15 or SKS, please feel free to join us. And when you bring your kids (up to age 20 shoots free) .22 rimfire is fine."

It sounds like the .22 is for the kids

Nope, that couldn't be further from the truth. At the Harvard appleseed there was a whole firing line dedicated to adults shooting .22's. The skills translate, so if you haven't had a ton of experience shooting rifles you'll have more fun and learn more with a Liberty Training Rifle (lightly modified Ruger 10/22) than you will with a larger bore centerfire rifle.

While I like my Yugo SKS and it's accurate enough to shoot the AQT, I'm of the opinion that using one is more of a challenge to a more experienced rifleman. While I've read of people that don't have any problems, neither I or anyone I have met can manage to zip all ten rounds off of a stripper clip into ithe fixed magazine in one go reliably. I was next to a brand new shooter at Harvard who was shooting his buddies' SKS and the only thing he got was discouraged until he started shooting a loaner 10/22. I would find it challenging to shoot 40 rounds in a rapid-fire AQT in less than four minutes with one.

As far as the AK's go if you get a MOJO click adjustable rear aperture sight that will probably help you out alot. Thirty round magazines will make shooting from prone difficult.

I shot mine with a match AR-15 and my g/f shot my 10/22 - the only difference between them was I spent $250 on ammo for me and $30 on ammo for her. I really like CCI's rimfire ammo, especially the standard velocity stuff. If you got the really cheap stuff you could get the ammo for $10.

Last edited:
I really liked that there was a dedicated rimfire range at the Harvard Appleseed. I think this should be SOP wherever the facilities allow. I was able to just wear my electronic muffs, which made hearing the instructors easy. When centerfires are around, I double up. I'm new to rifle shooting, and I know I wouldn't have learned as much or shot as well with the loudenboomers going off in my ear.

Back
Top Bottom