Appleseed newbie questions

My shooting experience is minimal (and even that might be a charitable description). My limited military shooting was all with .45 pistol and Mossberg 12 ga. Civilian experience is a couple of hunting trips with my dad (he hunts, I carry a gun around the woods so I can spend some time with the old man doing what -he- likes [wink]).

The above being the case, I have no experience with many of the basics: Sighting in and Cleaning being at the top of the "Stuff I REALLY Ought to Know" list.

I'm still in the planning stages of getting to an Appleseed shoot (hoping for Calverton on Oct 23/24). I picked up a 10/22 and a few extra magazines. I've ordered the Tech Sights, adjusting tool, and a sling.

Aside from all the other physical stuff (ammo, sunblock, etc.) listed in posts here and on the Appleseed forums, what is the minimum knowledge level that I should be at before coming down? Do I need to get to the range beforehand and get sighted in?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bring what you got and we'll take you the rest of the way.....

That said, do yourself a favor and become familiar with your rifle, put a few hundred rounds through it and clean it if its new... make sure its reliable. It is often easier to work out equipment issues like that before you come to an event.

Every Instructor there will be more than willing to assist any and everybody no matter what the experience or lack of.

Many people who show up to an Appleseed have never even held a firearm ever in their lives. Many people have shown up that bought their rifle the day before.

Like Ninsho said, just try and get to the range to make sure your brand new rifle doesn't have any issues from the factory. Don't worry about sighting it in, we will go through that entire process.

Make sure you loctite those Tech Sites.

Also, did you order the hardware so you can mount your sling to your 10/22?

Make sure you loctite those Tech Sites.

Also, did you order the hardware so you can mount your sling to your 10/22?

What color Loctite?

Sling Mounts and QD Swivels are on my list along with cleaning supplies. I'm going to be popping into local gun shops to get a feel for them and figured I should spend a few bucks locally rather than doing it all via the internet.

What color Loctite?

Sling Mounts and QD Swivels are on my list along with cleaning supplies. I'm going to be popping into local gun shops to get a feel for them and figured I should spend a few bucks locally rather than doing it all via the internet.

I used blue, and it's held up pretty well.

The "Uncle Mikes" swivel studs and QD swivels work well, and can be found for about the same at brick & mortars as price + shipping would be online. If your 10/22 has a wood stock, the swivels are easy enough to install, just drill a pilot hole first.

What color Loctite?

BLUE LocTite is the best for your purpose. Some useful info here in the Liberty Training Rifle thread, with links to order the stuff online if you want.

As far as level of knowledge needed goes, I've literally had shooters on my line asking me "which way do the bullets go into the gun" and I've had them show up with 10/22s still in the box. As in, "I got this last night". So if you've never shot a rifle before, no problem. We'll work with you.

If you want to sight in the rifle ahead of time, really all you need to do is make sure you're on an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper at 25 meters (or yards). As part of the training, you will be sighting in the rifle yourself (under our tutelage, of course!).

If you spend some time getting familiar with the 10/22, how to load and unload it, how to work the controls, that will stand you in good stead. But since you've got very little experience, that's good - that means that you don't have any bad habits we need to break you of, and you aren't going to be sitting there with your ego getting in the way of you learning. [wink]

Okay, Blue Loctite is is. If it doesn't hold, I'll step up to the red.

dwarven1 - I have been reading from that thread a bit. It's the reason I ordered the Tech Sights and adjusting tool instead of just going with a scope or the stock sights. The sling I ordered from the Appleseed store (put the money where it does the most good [grin]).

Now I just have to wait for the parts to arrive, get the LTR put together as best I can, and find a range on Long Island that's open when I can get to it. Less than 2 weeks to Calverton!

Now I just have to wait for the parts to arrive, get the LTR put together as best I can, and find a range on Long Island that's open when I can get to it. Less than 2 weeks to Calverton!

If you get to a range before Calverton, great. If you don't get to one before Calverton, then still go to the Calverton Appleseed. One goal is to shoot a rifleman score, another is simply to become a better shooter. And helping you do that is only one goal of the instructors. Teaching about our history is another big one.

I was at a recent Appleseed with a whole bunch of children. One teenage boy shot a rifleman score, awesome, but the smiles on the kids faces was success too.

It's not all the score and patch.

Last edited:
I attended an Appleseed in CT this past summer. It was amazing. My son was overseas at the time and not able to attend with me. Now he is back and says he really wants to go to an Appleseed. He does Jr. Rifle at my club.

Anyway, I only own 2 rifles. One is a 10/22. The other is an AK47.

My Question... Is it ridiculous to bring an AK47 to an Appleseed? The ammo cost I will figure out. That is not my concern. From a marksmanship prospective I'm thinking it could be a waste of time.

As an aside I'm thinking of buying these tech sights: http://www.tech-sights.com/ak.htm

I don't think anything is ridiculous as long as you train with it. I believe people bring Mosin Nagants ans SKS's all the time as well!

I attended an Appleseed in CT this past summer. It was amazing. My son was overseas at the time and not able to attend with me. Now he is back and says he really wants to go to an Appleseed. He does Jr. Rifle at my club.

Anyway, I only own 2 rifles. One is a 10/22. The other is an AK47.

My Question... Is it ridiculous to bring an AK47 to an Appleseed? The ammo cost I will figure out. That is not my concern. From a marksmanship prospective I'm thinking it could be a waste of time.

As an aside I'm thinking of buying these tech sights: http://www.tech-sights.com/ak.htm

It's not ridiculous at all to bring an AK to an Appleseed. He'll certainly get more out of ball & dummy with a centerfire, as long as you can stand the cost of the ammo, and I've seen plenty of shooters do well with an AK. He'll have to work a little harder than he would with an LTR, that's all. I would recommend the tech-sights though, the repeatable adjustments make it much easier to practice when we teach the sighting in process.

It's not ridiculous at all to bring an AK to an Appleseed. He'll certainly get more out of ball & dummy with a centerfire, as long as you can stand the cost of the ammo, and I've seen plenty of shooters do well with an AK. He'll have to work a little harder than he would with an LTR, that's all. I would recommend the tech-sights though, the repeatable adjustments make it much easier to practice when we teach the sighting in process.

I was planning on shooting the AK. I'd give him the 10/22. When I mentioned this potential plan he hated the idea and said he wanted to shoot the AK. Pretty funny. He is 15 and a skinny kid. I'm sure after 50 rounds he would be complaining. :)

My Question... Is it ridiculous to bring an AK47 to an Appleseed?

NO!

It is NOT ridiculous to bring an AK to an Appleseed shoot. I've seen AKs, SKSs, M1s, M14s, and even a Savage .308 bolt-action with a 5 round internal magazine. We are equipment neutral; if you can stand the cost of the ammo, bring whatever you want. We'll teach you with whatever you're shooting.

Although you might want to put the good sights on the AK first. Or, at least, bring an AK sight tool with you - while most instructors have a sight tool for the AR, I don't know of any who bring an AK sight tool. There are probably some; I just don't know any! [laugh]

You put that one in the X-ring. History and marksmanship. And if you do become good enough to get that patch, why, then, we need more instructors since we're constantly growing to try and get our message out.

Ultimate goal? Saving America.

Thanks. I've got a nice orange hat but someone has told me it needs to become red SOON!

And I've both seen others shoot and myself shot AK patterns at Appleseed events.

At my first Appleseed, I did not even know how to sight in my rifle. With very good instruction, I managed to make Rifleman on the second day. I even managed to "clean" (all hits) the red coat target, which was the last target we shot. The February snow was part of the ideal conditions that gave me an edge compared to hot weather in later Appleseeds. I have attended 5 and 1/2 Appleseed weekends since. Every time I go, I have a great time. For a few reasons, I have not been able to make Rifleman again, but it is great to keep trying.

I have learned that becoming a Rifleman and training in general is a journey that does not end at a particular achievement.

Appleseed is a great place to learn how to shoot. The history lessons may even move you to tear up when you learn what a bunch of farmers sacrificed for our freedom.

Patch?

So now after reading this thread, I'm a little confused, never having been to an A-seed event, but very interested. Do I understand that a shooter can earn more than one Rifleman patch? What's the point, other than having another fun day at the range? I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand the program better. My goal is to enjoy a couple days at the range, and get the patch if I can. I'm encouraged when I see that some shooters are able to do that on Day 2 of the weekend. Is it reasonable to expect a semi-experienced shooter to accomplish that? PS: I have never shot closer than 50 yards, but several of my .22 rifles will consistently do quarter-size groups at that distance, from prone.

bring an AK sight tool with you

sledgehammer.jpg

So now after reading this thread, I'm a little confused, never having been to an A-seed event, but very interested. Do I understand that a shooter can earn more than one Rifleman patch? What's the point, other than having another fun day at the range? I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand the program better. My goal is to enjoy a couple days at the range, and get the patch if I can. I'm encouraged when I see that some shooters are able to do that on Day 2 of the weekend. Is it reasonable to expect a semi-experienced shooter to accomplish that? PS: I have never shot closer than 50 yards, but several of my .22 rifles will consistently do quarter-size groups at that distance, from prone.

I suppose if you want to come to, say, a Winterseed next winter just to get the Winterseed patch that would be OK. We kind of hope you come for the instruction and the heritage, though. [grin]

And yes, it's quite possible to shoot Rifleman at your first shoot. Heck, one of our Instructors did it at a mini-Appleseed - about half a day. Did it on his first AQT. Depends on the shooter.

I've been looking at doing an appleseed weekend for a while now. Would a Marlin 795 .22lr be a good one to use? I have to order a couple more magazines but I think I'll be signing up for the June event. Oh I need to get a sling also.

I've been looking at doing an appleseed weekend for a while now. Would a Marlin 795 .22lr be a good one to use? I have to order a couple more magazines but I think I'll be signing up for the June event. Oh I need to get a sling also.

Yup, there've been quite a lot of 795s on the line. Here's a thread on modifying the 795. The OP found that the forearm was a bit flimsy to anchor a sling so he did a bit of WECSOG modifications to it and it turned out pretty good. You can order the sling here.

WECSOG: Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing. [smile]

Oh this sounds like FUN! I am seriously considering one of the MA Appleseeds in May or June, but have a couple of questions...

1) ATM I have 2 Marlin 60's, and 2 Mosins. I may (probably not, but there IS hope) have something else more "modern" by then... The Marlins are both scoped, one with a Red-Dot, one with a 4x. One Mosin is iron, one scoped 6-24x. Which ones (all?) should I bring? The 3 scoped rifles are all pretty damn well sited in at 60ft, which is the best I can do shooting indoors. 1"-1 1/2" groups, shot about 5-6 with the iron Mosin last fall...

2) Aside from having more fun, what is the advantage to a 2-day vs 1-day event?

3) I have the original slings for the Mosins, never used them, should I bring them? No slings for the Marlins, no attachment points, do I really need to get something on there?

Last edited:
We'll work with you on whatever rifle you bring. Recommended is somewhere between .22 and 8mm (inclusive). Be prepared to shoot it all day - figure 2-300 rounds the first day and 6-700 rounds on Sunday. (your shoulder may not forgive you for shooting a thousand rounds out of a Mosin Nagant in one weekend but we don't have a problem with it!)

6-24x may be a bit more scope than you want to use but bring 'em both if you want. I'd recommend starting with the iron-sighted one - you can always switch if you have troubles with the iron sights.

2) 2 day has more time to get things in and a lot more time to polish your skills. We've got a two day shoot in Leyden (out north of Greenfield) in May if you'd rather do the two day.

3) Bring the slings. If you can, get slings on the Marlins. It really does make a difference in your shooting.

I'm going to the June 18/19 Appleseed at HSC… Bringing the 22's… Need sling "stuff", hence NEED suggestions on what, where to buy, etc… In other words… HELP ME PLEASE!

Well, here's what I am looking at, hopefully somebody that knows will tell me if I just spent 3 hours getting bloodshot eyes to become educated or not…

For my Marlin 60's:
Uncle Mike's Sling swivels (which I believe Dwarven liked on another post somewhere…) part# 1071-2 http://www.shopunclemikes.com/detail/TCL+1071-2

Sling by UTG: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JIJ6Y4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Amazon has the swivels at $7.81 and the slings at $11.85. Gonna add a bore snake cuz it makes sense (to me) for quick cleans at Appleseed.

Any thoughts on bipods? Yes, no, STFU and stop wasting money?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom