Appendix Carry Holster Reviews

Once I purchased a Shield, I decided to look into the world of appendix carry. What I have used to date which I'll give a brief review/rating of for those doing the same. Not pictured but tested briefly, was Haley/G Code...Left to right,

JM Custom, Fury Solutions, Blade-tech, faux leather holster (don't remember the brand) and that's Fury Solutions belt side mag holder.

The first I purchased was the Blade-tech as it was cheap and I knew would be delivered quickly and would allow me to try this method of CCW before committing. It's not kydex but injected molded plastic, has not tension adjustments, etc. and is what it is. However, I found it surprisingly comfortable, concealable, and for the $, and excellent choice for those who just wanna try that method of CCW. I'm actually happy I started with it and would recommend it as a "starter" appendix rig. I'm also happy I started with it, because I figured if that was good, a more expensive better built holster would be that much better. I was wrong. I used it to work on dry fire work, etc and waited like six weeks for the Haley/G Code.

Haley/G Code (not pictured)

Not for me: it concealed poorly and was very uncomfortable whether one or two clips used and I hope the M4C member who purchased it had better luck with it than I did. Don't think I have evr taken a dislike to a holster that fast. Maybe my expectations were too high.... I suspect it may work better for those built more like it's designer who is on the taller and thinner side. For a shorter thicker guy, it was a no go. I can say it's a very well built holster if it fits your needs. Maybe it makes a decent IWB as strong hip carry, but it was a real let down as an appendix holster for me.

JM Custom

That was/is a loaner from someone who let me use it for a few weeks. It's comfortable, conceals well, and I can see the reason it's on the short list for those recommending appendix carry. The only real issue I have is the lack of sweat guard on that model. If it had had a sweat guard, I would have bought it without reservation. My only issue with JM is the long wait time and it seems a tad pricy to me for what it is. However, it's a solid choice for appendix in my experience if wait time and or price not an issue.

Fury Solutions.

I have had excellent experience with this company, and own a belt slide and mag holders for my VP9 and the Shield. Design, quality for $$, and reasonable shipping times, had made them a favorite for me. They didn't have an appendix rig when I was looking a while back or I would have started with them. They do now, and I decided to have some fun with "Fury red" color. So far, it seems a winner as with their other holsters. However, they do one thing I'm not a fan of which seems taken from the G code, and that's to put an angle on the clip vs making it parallel to the holster as the JM does and most others do. I have not worn this holster for an extended time, so cant fully report, but will in a week or two. I don't like that way the clip is bent, and it tends to stick out and print. I can theorize as to why they might do it (forced the gun int your body, etc) but in real world use, I don't like it, and it's one of various things I didn't like about the G code. The good news is, they clips are adjustable and or removable, so I may inquire about different clips or simply heat and bend it to my liking.

See:

faux leather holster.

Just something I decided to try to compare to rigid holsters. Comfort and concealabilty were decent, but it suffers two major drawbacks that made it a no go. The faux leather is very sticky and with pressure from the belt, etc, damn near impossible to draw gun from and once drawn, collapses so you can't re holster. Total fail. It does make for a decent gun protector at least. :)

IMO, most of those place the belt clip in the wrong spot. The clip should be placed over the trigger or entirely forward/back of the gun. I don't know why holster makers place the belt clip over the slide- it makes everything far wider than necessary. An AIWB holster should also be tuckable, and that's more difficult to do with the clip in that position.

The hands down best AIWB kydex holster is the Comp Tac 2 O'clock. Check it out here. It's affordable, and Comp Tac has a far shorter production time than most holster companies. They also make a left handed version (go to their IWB page- it's not a selectable option on the page I linked). The thing I like about the 2 O'clock is that it's easily repositioned for 3-5 o'clock carry, and I've used it for both small guns (J frame, M&P9c) and large guns (M&P9, CZ Shadow). It's an open-bottom holster, so I can use the same one for my full size and compact M&Ps.

IMO, most of those place the belt clip in the wrong spot. The clip should be placed over the trigger or entirely forward/back of the gun. I don't know why holster makers place the belt clip over the slide- it makes everything far wider than necessary. An AIWB holster should also be tuckable, and that's more difficult to do with the clip in that position.

The hands down best AIWB kydex holster is the Comp Tac 2 O'clock. Check it out here. It's affordable, and Comp Tac has a far shorter production time than most holster companies. They also make a left handed version (go to their IWB page- it's not a selectable option on the page I linked). The thing I like about the 2 O'clock is that it's easily repositioned for 3-5 o'clock carry, and I've used it for both small guns (J frame, M&P9c) and large guns (M&P9, CZ Shadow). It's an open-bottom holster, so I can use the same one for my full size and compact M&Ps.

I have had great experiences with Comp Tac in the past and have a belt slide and mag holders from them when I had 1911s. I have a JM Custom inbound which should do the trick as the version reviewed was excellent but for sweat guard. Follow up on the Fury:

As mentioned in the OP, a follow up on the Fury appendix holster. As mentioned, I have had good experiences with them and I think their designs/quality/cost/delivery has put them the short list for me. I think this holster is a good choice, but for two issues. As we all know, holsters are very dependent on the person wearing it, which is why one of many reasons person A loves a holster and person B does not. Now that I have spent time wearing it, here's my thoughts. My two issues with this holster I suspect mostly a product of my being a short stocky type. If you're of the taller/thinner shape, may be a non issue to you. One issue as mentioned in the OP is the bent clip which is from G code. The idea of that clip is to push the gun back into the body and help prevent the gun from tipping forward. For me, it reduces comfort and concealability.

My answer to that was to take a heat gun at low power and straighten the clip. For me, that made a big improvement in both comfort and concealability.

However, I did communicate with Nick A at Fury, and he did not recommend heating the clip to bend it as the heat may permanently alter its strength characteristics. Some materials lose strength and integrity when heated/re heated. My altering it's shape seems to have had no negative effects on the clip which remains very rigid. However, heat & bend at your own risk as they don't recommend it.

Issue two, the corner of the holster digs into the thigh/hip crease at times when sitting and walking forcing me to make physical adjustments more often than I'd like, or a sore area is the result. Again, that's likely my short torso, how I wear my pants, etc and may be a non issue to others. However, I have noted other designs do a better job of rounding that area off/minimizing the shape making it more comfortable for short and taller types. My advice to Fury (which I'm passing onto them) would be to remove one of those tension screws, and take the edge off by sloping it up and rounding off more. If you have a shorter torso and or wear your pants on the lower side (or both!), that edge becomes a problem and you find yourself having to adjust the holster more often than you should:

If a straight clip, and or perhaps the choice of a belt loop (similar to the JM and others) were offered and that corner improved per above, would make the Fury a great choice for an appendix holster. As is, for me at least, I'd give it a B-. If I'm right about those two issues being mostly related to the body shape issue, and you're of the thinner/taller shape, the Fury may be the perfect choice and worth a try for sure.

As always, a quality gun belt is a must, and that's another topic!

I <3 my Eidolon... so much. Plus, I just bubba'd my G19, and it feels amazing. I'll just find the link to the review someone else did on it, and post it here. No need to re-type everything.

Eidolon Review: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...EM-for-quot-Perfection-quot?highlight=eidolon

attachment.php

Attachments

• doge-27302-400x250.jpg
    doge-27302-400x250.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 224
WB: Thanks for the reviews. I've carried AIWB for quite a few years and currently use the JM Custom (with the sweat guard). I carry daily and often forget I am carrying a handgun, since the holster is so comfortable. I find my knife bothering me more than my handgun. And I agree with you that the G-Code/Haley Incog holster was surprisingly disappointing. I'm always looking for an improved system, so keep up the good reviews!

WB: Thanks for the reviews. I've carried AIWB for quite a few years and currently use the JM Custom (with the sweat guard). I carry daily and often forget I am carrying a handgun, since the holster is so comfortable. I find my knife bothering me more than my handgun. And I agree with you that the G-Code/Haley Incog holster was surprisingly disappointing. I'm always looking for an improved system, so keep up the good reviews!

Thanx. As mentioned, I found a JM Custom with sweat guard that's inbound as we speak, so hopefully I'm GTG. I may, for shi$% n giggles try some others too, but I know from my experience with the JM custom it's a great design. And WTF were they thinking with that Incog?!

Hey Will have you tried the CCC Shaggy? I really like the "wedge" he uses that pushes the butt of the gun into your body, and I understand the new version has adjustable ride height - my only slight complaint about the previous version.

IMG_2907.jpg

I completely agree with this assessment. I'm looking at picking up an MDJ custom for my pm 9. http://www.mdjcustomholsters.com/appendix-carry/ and I'll post some feedback when I get it. I'm currently using a PJ's holster with a J-hook, which is super convenient for on/off, but not tuckable.

OP, nice review. Thanks for posting.

I just ordered the Eidolon ...I'll post a review after I get it... I'm on the heavier side and want to see if it will work for different body types..I'm hopeful..

quick turnaround..3 days from order to my house...first impressions isn't good..had a big gob of glue stuck to the outside of holster..took me 15 min to clean it..for $110 ..thats bad QC

Last edited:
Since I'm an idiot and not very good with my hands putting the eidolon together took me awhile...but wow is it comfortable to wear...I just bought a glock 26 and I'm thinking I need to trade it for a 19 or 17 because the holster fits all 3 and the 26 just disappears on me...it would even be better if I dropped 15 pounds but this is the first AIWB that worked for me..

Always get a kick out of guys with too much beer in the tank who want to appendix carry... Not only does it not work, it's also dangerous as your gut is going to push the gun out and point it at either your man parts or your femoral.

Back
Top Bottom