Anyone with an ACOG?

I just bought a used compact ACOG sight off of another forum.

The reticle in the sight is, imho, extremely dim. Inside, outside, with ambient light and without, it is so dim as to be useless.

I spoke with the guy I bought it from. He is out of state, and I had not examined the sight prior to purchase. He doesn't agree with my impression.

My question is for anyone with an ACOG or experiance using them, is the reticle normally dim? I was under the impression from handling them in the past, and from the TRIJICON website, that this thing was well illuminated ALL of the time, no matter what the lighting condition is.

Thanks for any opinions.

Stevie,

I'm at work so obviously I don't have access to my ACOG but something sounds wrong. It sounds like you have the same model which I have. IIRC, there is a "fiber optic tube" on the top which gathers light and focuses it on the reticle. So it should be very distinct in direct light and should get dimmer as the light fades.

Did you get a manual? If not, try the Trijicon website and see if they have one which you can downlaod to check.

I'll try to get mine out tonight and look if no one else comes up with a better answer.

You should send it to the factory right away. If it looks wrong, it probably is. They will be able to tell you definitively, and I imagine promptly as well.

I bought an EOTech and could not get it to sight in on my flattop. I thought it might be operator error, but I called them and described my problem; they said it was unusual, but they sent a replacement even before I shipped my broken unit out.

I took the original one apart to try and see what was wrong, it I found the glue on a holographic plate inside of it was not mixed properly or something, it was gooey and the plate was just sliding around. So you should check with the factory.

Frosty-I have the manual, didn't think it helped.

I also emailed Trijicon a few minutes ago.

I think that something is indeed, wrong with the sight. But, I don't want to get into an argument with the guy I bought if from if I am wrong.

But, when it is dark, the reticle is not lit at all. I mean, nothing.

Adam, when I did the yahoo thing I only got a site that sells Trijicon stuff. Am I missing something?

I guess I should say the first #'rd listing...

American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
Serving as a strong advocate for quality health care for women.
Category: Washington, D.C. > Health Care Organizations
www.acog.org - 48k - Cached - More from this site

There are about a dozen models. Which one?

You may also have to send it back for a refill on the tritium. I've had my TA01 about 15 years and the stuff is a lot dimmer now than when new.

B

Its the Compact ACOG, 1.5x.

I understand that after 15 years, the tritium will be dimmer. But I was made to understand that the sight is 3 years old.

If I had handled the sight before purchase, I would not have bought it because of how dim it is.

I currently have 3. 2 compact 2x20 and a TA11F 3.5x.
They are a little dimmer in a no light situation...more so with the red than the amber but it should not be a problem getting a bead on something.

You can call Trijicon, the rep will give you a shipping #, and send it to them. They will go through it and bring it up to specs for a reasonable fee. They are good to do business with.
If there is nothing wrong with it they will ship it back with no fee for the inspection.
You pay the shipping.

Last edited:
I fear that you probably got taken. It's best that you get factory confirmation then go after the seller if the factory says it was bad.

Well, thanks for the replies, and the thoughts.

I did email Trijicon, and got the info I need, like BoB13 said, and will be shipping it monday for the opinion. It's nice to hear that they are good to do business with. They were good on the phone, so that is a good sign.

I am afraid that I got taken, too. For the money I spent on this, I could have gotten an Aimpoint. I just wanted one of these for along time. Regarding going after the seller, I agree that waiting til after the factory says what they have to say is the best way. The seller has not been awful but he doesn't agree with my assessment.

You know, I have bought and sold guns and holsters and mags and sights over the internet for years, and I have never had a complaint and I have never been 'burned'. This one has just left a lousy taste in my mouth.

If I were you I would wait to see what the repair bill is from Trijicon if any.....
Email the seller showing him the repair and shipping cost documentation....... Ask him to refund your $$ for the repair costs.
I'm sure there is some sort of feedback system on the "other" forum if he decides to be difficult.

Just an update on this ACOG.

I did send it to Trijicon for an evaluation, maybe 4 weeks ago. I had called, spoke to CS, and got a repair order.

I received the ACOG back about 10 minutes ago, with the note that the scope was "not repairable". That is a direct quote from the service people at Trijicon, and on my paperwork. This made me sick to my stomach, because the guy I bought it from seemed less than interested in making the problem right.

Now, the amazing thing is that the next line on the repair order says "Replace with new scope". That is also a direct quote.

The did indeed replace this used ACOG with a completely new one, which really suprises me and impresses me.

That kind of customer service is tought to beat.

I did send it to Trijicon for an evaluation, maybe 4 weeks ago. I had called, spoke to CS, and got a repair order.

I received the ACOG back about 10 minutes ago, with the note that the scope was "not repairable". That is a direct quote from the service people at Trijicon, and on my paperwork. This made me sick to my stomach, because the guy I bought it from seemed less than interested in making the problem right.

Now, the amazing thing is that the next line on the repair order says "Replace with new scope". That is also a direct quote.

The did indeed replace this used ACOG with a completely new one, which really suprises me and impresses me.

Yeah , EOTech did the same thing, except they shipped the new scope out before I even sent the defective one in.

I figure they must not know if the person sending the scope in is a hobbyist or someone depending on it to keep themselves alive the next day, so they err on the side of caution...

That's cool. An ACOG is on my list of stuff I want but can not justify the $$$ right now. Sounds like a great company that stands behind a great product. I hope the guy who sold you the original gets what he deserves...

Back
Top Bottom