Anyone own/shoot a S&W M&P 340?

The Village Idiot

Shooting at the big range in heaven. 1952-2009
NES Member
The Live Free Or Keep Voting In dimocrats State
Stopped at Riley's in Hooksett on my way home and looked at a few potential carry guns. Absolutely fell in love with the way the 340 handled. Price is high but if I trade in my Beretta PX-4 and U22 Neos, it would make the price doable, assuming they give me a decent trade-in value. Does anyone carry or shoot one? Any positive or negative feelings?
Thanks,
Ed

The S&W J-Frame as a whole is a surprisingly accurate, controllable, and well built piece of equipment. However, if you plan to carry .357s, you'd better practice with it as an Airweight + .357 = pain.

Based on price and pain, I'd get a 642 if I were to buy a j-frame.

That said, if I could buy one, I'd buy a Kahr PM9 over the 642.

The model 642 with .38 special +P's is bad enough to shoot! I would rather recommend shooting an air weight .357 before buying one. :)

have a 340PD. fired 1 cylinder of .357, not for me. i carry .38 gold dot short barrel load. those are fine, painful after 50 rounds practice, but practice iis a must with DAO j frames

My M&P is pictured in the new acquisitions thread. Just picked it up this past Tuesday at FS. It was $589. I did a lot of research on this gun and found it to be to my liking. Range report comith. The sad little snubby is sitting in the gun roon un-fired because I've been to busy at work. Hope to remedy that soon. I like the 24/7 tritium sight very much. I did not like the Hi-viz on the 340PD, plus the 340PD goes for $100 more and is only 1 oz less in weight. I bought the J frame Blackhawk Serpa holster for it and the Desantis Super Fly in the pocket holster which should be in this week. I plan on spending my time not shooting with drawing and firing w/ snap caps and techniques for both holsters. It is a very nice piece. I also do not plan on using .357 rounds. I'll stick to the more controlable .38's

Last edited:
I've got the 360PD (exposed hammer) version. It *is* a handful with full-power .357 Magnum loads, that's for certain.

However, you can load it with .38 special +P+ (for which the 642 is not rated), still get a powerful round, and not abuse your hand as badly...

I've got the 360PD (exposed hammer) version. It *is* a handful with full-power .357 Magnum loads, that's for certain.

However, you can load it with .38 special +P+ (for which the 642 is not rated), still get a powerful round, and not abuse your hand as badly...

Yes, thank you Jay. My hand is still in pain from firing yours after the pumpkin shoot [smile]

Chuck Norris probably carries a pair of 340s, with full power 357 magnum loads, and with the handgrips removed, firing both of them on target simultaneously. [laugh]

-Mike

My M&P is pictured in the new acquisitions thread. Just picked it up this past Tuesday at FS. It was $589. I did a lot of research on this gun and found it to be to my liking. Range report comith. The sad little snubby is sitting in the gun roon un-fired because I've been to busy at work. Hope to remedy that soon. I like the 24/7 tritium sight very much. I did not like the Hi-viz on the 340PD, plus the 340PD goes for $100 more and is only 1 oz less in weight. I bought the J frame Blackhawk Serpa holster for it and the Desantis Super Fly in the pocket holster which should be in this week. I plan on spending my time not shooting with drawing and firing w/ snap caps and techniques for both holsters. It is a very nice piece. I also do not plan on using .357 rounds. I'll stick to the more controlable .38's

This is the 340 CT model w/ tritium front sights and Crimsom Trace laser grip which are supposedly "recoil" reducing rubber grips. I looked at others but with my age (eyesight) I wanted something w/ a little bit of power + a front sight that I can see. I'm going to either sell my Beretta PX-4 (super luminova sights, well, suck) or trade it in. I also put Trijicon sights on my Glock 22 but it is too large for me to successfully conceal. I did check out a bunch of other pistols but found the 340 to be the best fit for my needs. If you guys have any other suggestions, please advise.
Thanks,
Ed

I have a 340 PD. I installed the Crimson Trace laser grips and also a XS big dot Tritium front sight. I have never shot .357 in mine. I train with it a few times a year. I also shot my Depts Qualification course once a year with it (2 50 round courses) I usually shot 125 grain Plus P 38 special in mine. Recoil is stout, but not so bad you cant shoot the gun. The Dept approved carry load is CCI/Gold Dot 125Gr + JHP. I usually carry mine in a Mikas Pocket Holster. When I carry it on duty its in an uncle mikes vest Holster. The 340 P.D. is a great gun Mine is with me almost all the time. Taurus Leather in NY makes a Kick Ass ankle holster for these also. If you can swing it go for the 340 P.D. you wont regret it.

Last edited:
while I know the CT part is for crimson trace. THe M&P line also has a version of the 340 which has ashely express sights on it. MY gun was a regular 340PD. I added the grips and Big dot sight on my own. The XS sight install was very easy to do. all I had to do was drilla 1/16th hole in the new sight and put the new sight in place and tap in a new 1/16th inch roll pin. THe whole job took me less than 15 minutes

Chuck Norris probably carries a pair of 340s, with full power 357 magnum loads, and with the handgrips removed, firing both of them on target simultaneously. [laugh]

-Mike

*ahem*

S&W made Chuck a matched pair of .460 magnum j-frames. You're obviously a bit out of touch.

I'm looking in to getting the new LaserMax J-Max side mount. The laser is mounted high so the beam is close to the bore line away from your index finger. You can install it yourself and I've seen websites selling them for $188 w/ free shipping.
www.lasermax.com

Thanks guys. I went to Riley's today and even the counter person said "fire one .357 round and you'll wrap up the gun and store it." I looked at other short barrel pistols and found one. Problem is they offered me crap for my pristine, <150 rounds through her, Beretta PX-4. That was my last attempt to trade in something with them. Come to think of it I'll probably never buy anything again there. Wonder how many sales they lose or if they even care about lost sales?

Thanks guys. I went to Riley's today and even the counter person said "fire one .357 round and you'll wrap up the gun and store it." I looked at other short barrel pistols and found one. Problem is they offered me crap for my pristine, <150 rounds through her, Beretta PX-4. That was my last attempt to trade in something with them. Come to think of it I'll probably never buy anything again there. Wonder how many sales they lose or if they even care about lost sales?

Find me a shop that doesn't "give crap on a trade in" and I'll
buy you a beer. Even if your gun is pristine condition, they still have
to sell it as used, and then still make a profit off it to justify
outlaying the cash to buy it from you. On top of it, if they
normally sell PX4s, that gun is now "competing" with their
new guns. So this means they have to buy low, and then
mark it up enough to justify doing a trade-in. This typically
means that you'll get soaked about $200+ off whatever you paid
for it new. Sometimes the value is even worse if it's a low
demand item.

I can see your point of view, but you have to balance that
against what the dealer has to go through to turn that
gun over. Some would argue the lowball offer is "rude" but
its part of doing business.

Although I do have to admit, the more honest dealers I deal
with will often say things like "Why not put it on consignment
instead, you'll get more money that way" or "if you know someone
thats in the market, you're better off selling it to them" etc. I
also deal with at least one other shop in MA where if you buy
a gun from them, and trade it in later, you're likely to get a better
value from them on the way back around.

-Mike

I understand that business is business but I have dealt with them for a number of years. One would think that what they net from the sale of two firearms would cover the cost of any reduction in the price of the new pistol, which by the way was over double what I wanted to see for the trade-in.

Amen to that. I owned a Smith and Wesson 340PD for about 24 hours. I bought it, shot it, and returned it the next day after shooting a box of 50 "low recoil" 357's. I then purchased a S&W model 60; a perfect replacement.

The model 642 with .38 special +P's is bad enough to shoot! I would rather recommend shooting an air weight .357 before buying one. :)

I just ordered one from Carl Monday, and I'm waiting for it. With all this talk of pain from full house .357's, I just couldn't pass up that much fun. I'm getting kind of bored emptying this 24 oz. Taurus snub I have rapid fire with 158 JSP's over 10.3 Blue Dot. Sort of a portable, personal poor man's .500 S&W.

340 M&P

The m&p differs from the PD in sights, finish and material makeup.

The m&p has a tritium night sight while the PD does not.

The m&p has a scandium frame and a stainless steel cylinder. The PD has all scandium.

Scandium is more expensive by far than steel. Therefore the price is higher on the PD even though the sights on the m&p are more expensive.

The cylinder can be cleaned with a brass brush etc. on the M&P and not on the PD.

The finish is also different on the m&p with a special "hard" and tougher "blueing" of sorts (I forget the name of the stuff).

There seems to be a shorter cylinder life on the PD (with 357's)because the scandium is more brittle than the steel in the cylinders. Both fire 357's as well as 38sp.

All this makes the m&p weigh in an ounce and a half or so more than the PD. The PD weighs in at 12 oz. (some guys have weighed theirs and found them as much as an oz. or more less than that). The m&p weighs 13 1/2 oz. more or less.

The M&P's are, thus far, harder to find.

MARV

The m&p differs from the PD in sights, finish and material makeup.

The m&p has a tritium night sight while the PD does not.

The m&p has a scandium frame and a stainless steel cylinder. The PD has all scandium.

Scandium is more expensive by far than steel. Therefore the price is higher on the PD even though the sights on the m&p are more expensive.

The cylinder can be cleaned with a brass brush etc. on the M&P and not on the PD.

The finish is also different on the m&p with a special "hard" and tougher "blueing" of sorts (I forget the name of the stuff).

There seems to be a shorter cylinder life on the PD (with 357's)because the scandium is more brittle than the steel in the cylinders. Both fire 357's as well as 38sp.

All this makes the m&p weigh in an ounce and a half or so more than the PD. The PD weighs in at 12 oz. (some guys have weighed theirs and found them as much as an oz. or more less than that). The m&p weighs 13 1/2 oz. more or less.

The M&P's are, thus far, harder to find.

MARV

Slight correction. The 340PD has a titanium cylinder, not scandium. "Scandium" as it applies to most products that claim to use it is really an aluminum alloy with some scandium in it. It's not really that expensive and I doubt it would stand up to being used as a cylinder in a revolver.

I've got a 642 and that is more than enough pain for me to deal with. If you really want to spend more money to experience more pain, have at it. But not for me.

Amen to that. I owned a Smith and Wesson 340PD for about 24 hours. I bought it, shot it, and returned it the next day after shooting a box of 50 "low recoil" 357's. I then purchased a S&W model 60; a perfect replacement.

This is kind of along my lines of thinking. Why own a .357 if you are only going to shoot .38 out of it? There are plenty of nice .38 +P lightweight snubs out there. When I decided I wanted a .357 snub, I made sure that I'd shoot .357 out of it.

My Ruger SP101 2.25" DAO fit the bill perfect. I can shoot full house .357 (albeit with semi significant muzzle flash) without killing myself. This of course comes at a cost of weight.

I do realize though that some of the nicer .357 snubs do come with better features (sights, finishes, etc.) than some of their .38 siblings.

I have a 340pd that I carry daily, it's the perfect choice for concealment for my needs. That being said, it does have a harsh recoil, but as others have said, you can throw in 38 special +p's and go have fun.[smile]

Slight correction. The 340PD has a titanium cylinder, not scandium. "Scandium" as it applies to most products that claim to use it is really an aluminum alloy with some scandium in it. It's not really that expensive and I doubt it would stand up to being used as a cylinder in a revolver.

I stand corrected on that cylinder material in the 340PD. It is titanium. The idea of ease of upkeep and standing up to the punishment of 357's for long are worth noting whether it be titanium or scandium alloy vs. STEEL. I'll bet on the steel in the long haul.

These dollar matters are a little like luxury automobiles. There gets to be a point of deminishing return on the dollars spent vs. the value. It's not the same for everyone. The same for the various Smith and Wesson' lightweights we choose.

I paid $792 with shipping for my 340 M&P with factory Crimson Trace grips with the S&W logo and a cushioned back strap. I could have had the 642 aluminum model with CT's for the low 600's.

For my money I get an ounce and a half of weight savings, better finsih material, and a much better sight system as a back up to the laser (tritium night sight).

To each his own, but I think the value is almost there compared to a regular lightweight in 38 spl.

It may be that the only 357's I'll shoot are the couple I squeeze off at the range when the gun is new, just to say I've done that. It may be that the only 357's that I ever carry are the ones I put in chamber #5 - just to sign off with if the fight goes that far.

But to me the value in materials is close to being there, if not completely there.

But who can put a value on being able to answer the question that is always asked when you're discussing concealed carry with the guys.

"What are you carrying?"

"Smith and Wesson 357 magnum - and you?"

MARV

I'm interested in a small, powerful bug gun and the 340 M&P is on my short list. I don't wear baggy pants and I'm curious if most people can get away with a J frame in the front pocket of jeans/docker style pants?

I've got a Kahr PM9 and it's just a smidge too big for my liking.

Last edited:
Just picked up M&P 340

Second Titanium J frame that I've had. First one was with an exposed hammer, sold it because while I carried it IWB the hammer occasionally dug in. Just came from FS today with a new M&P 340 $689 plus $50 rebate from Smith so $639 all said and done. Just came from the range (The gun never made it home before I fired it). 20 rounds of Federal 158 grain JHP. OUCH!!, but totally awesome. This is not a range gun/target gun. This is 16oz loaded (approx) of lethal stopping power. Easy to conceal, super light, never a reason to leave at home. Holds 5 rounds of course, but then again how many 357's does it take to stop something. You can always shoot 38 if you want to shot longer at the range. Easily stayed on a paper plate at 10 feet. Would totally recommend for concealed carry. [cheers]

Back
Top Bottom